5 comments

Mystery Science Fiction Drama

Pain. A simple concept, yet sometimes debilitating. The kind that is hard to manage is the kind with no source. No exact spot to point at and say it hurts here or it hurts when I do this. Sometimes everything just hurts, the weight of the world on your shoulders.

The name is Sargent William Augustus and today there was going to be a lot of pain. Another day on patrol in the Bad Lands, very plain, very ordinary. The Major didn’t care how far we walked or how hot it was, he just wanted it done so he could scratch it off his “to do” list. The ones under my command weren’t to crazy about a hike through nothing but dust and rocks. Not a single living thing out here, even weeds refuse.

The fine gritty dust got in your gear, under your clothes and in your mouth. Any slight breeze turned into an instant dust storm. Hacking and coughing, quickly covering your face to try and keep it out of your eyes. 

We kept formation and our eyes on the prize. After today, we all had four days off, to do with as we pleased. A nice hot shower and a dip in the river was at the top of my list. We were a tight group and we shared out loud our plans for our time off. That was a mistake. This troop was my responsibility, discipline and control was my priority, not making them feel good.

You ever get that feeling when something is not right, too quiet. The pit of your stomach drops as you watch the world happen in slow motion. Max had the lead, a smile on his face and joking with Joe to his six. Kicking rocks that were in his path with not a care in the world. I didn’t hear the pop of the weapon but saw the dirt fly when the round hit the ground. Max flinched and keeled over with a thud. The smile disappeared as he began gasping for air. Then we all heard the pop echo around us. Another round hit the ground just beside Joe, followed by another echo. We all crouched and Joe went straight for Max with me close behind. Then we heard a familiar thump echo from the distance.

“Mortar!” I screamed. The first one landed a good twenty meters away.

Mark dashed up with the patch kit and started wrapping up Max. I grabbed Max by the collar and stared in his face while Mark worked.

“Breath man, just breathe. We will get you out of here. We leave no one behind. Joe! Grab his other arms and careful with his legs. Looks like a through and through. Make sure that tourniquet is tight Mark.”

“All wrapped! Ready to rock and roll Sarg.”

“Will! Are we clear? Can we move?”

Another mortar whistled through the air and landed a mere two meters away. Boom! Shrapnel and dirt sprayed into the air as it exploded. Everyone hit the ground. Now my ears were ringing. Today was supposed to be a simple scouting mission, not this. This area was cleared, no one was supposed to be here. Where did they come from? I was going to give someone hell when we got back. 

“Will! Where are they? Will! Which way?”

“They are on the right flank! Top of the ridge!”

“Fall back! Everyone fall back!”

We all scrambled to the nearest ditch as shots whizzed past our heads. Joe and I dragged Max like a rag doll into the ditch. Now it was a rescue operation. 

“Count down! Everyone present!”

Everyone signed off, one by one. I counted them down. All present and accounted for. 

“Comms! Raise the base, get some air cover!”

“Sorry sir, comms are down! We are being jammed!”

“Damn it! Mikey, can you scope! Mikey!”

“Yes sir! On it!”

Mikey was the top marksman in any company. He could shoot the wings off a bug. If there was something to hit, he would find it.

“Sir, targets acquired. They are blues, repeat they are blues. I scope three. Locked and loaded.”

Mikey got very quiet when he was in the zone. He turned into a statue and his breathing went to almost zero.

“Take the shot.”

Mikey flinched as the rifle kicked his shoulder with each squeeze of the trigger. 

“All down, repeat, all down.”

“Will confirm. Any movement?”

“Scanning sir….. all quiet, no movement.”

“Joe! With me. Will, Mikey, keep us covered. Let’s go see what we got. On my mark, double time…. Go!!”

Joe and I sprinted zig zag to the base of the ridge. 

“Eyes, any movement.”

“No sir. All clear.”

Joe and I slowly climbed to the top of the ridge. We found the three blues slumped in their foxhole. Ugly looking things, why couldn’t they just stay on their own planet. Only two arms and two legs and they can’t even breathe our atmosphere. They have to wear these special suits. That horrible sound they make when they die. We called them blues because of the colour of their planet. They called themselves humans, stupid name. We have pushed them back to their planet many times but they keep coming. 

One of them began to move. Quick as a wink, Joe drew his sword and ran it through. It slumped on his sword and went limp. Joe had a discussed look on his face as he pulled his sword out.

“You could have left it. Now you have contaminated your sword. You are going to have to get it sterilized. You aren’t planning on taking another trophy? Remember how mad your mate got last time you brought one home. Wouldn’t risk it if I were you.”

“I hear you sir. No trophies this time. Just settling a score. Life for a life. I am the only one left from my tribe because of them, so still working on it. Have you ever seen their fire ships and mushroom bombs?”

“No. I have only heard stories Joe. They contaminant everything they touch. Let’s smash their beacons and fill the foxhole before any more show up.”

December 28, 2023 01:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Alexis Araneta
13:43 Mar 07, 2024

Great surprise there. Great job !

Reply

Hans B
03:24 Mar 08, 2024

Thank you for reading. I enjoy stories with a twist.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:45 Mar 08, 2024

As do I. Lovely job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
02:36 Mar 06, 2024

I liked it! Good surprise. Well done.

Reply

Hans B
06:35 Mar 06, 2024

Thank you for reading. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.