0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

I am male referred to as Abe – a shortening of my name and initials. I work for a pharmaceutical firm as head of a team evaluating the impact of new formulations on a group of diseases affecting the human system. A month ago I had submitted my resignation. The Chairman of our company’s board of directors who had to act on it was on leave after undergoing a surgical procedure. He had just returned and yesterday he called me and said he wanted to discuss the matter with me, and 9 the next morning would suit him. The chairman is an elderly man, short, rotund bald and has a short beard. I was at his office at 5 to nine. He is known for having no frills. No support staff in his office: His secretariat situated elsewhere attended to his calls and correspondence. At 9 sharp I patted on his door and he said “Come in.”

As I went in I said “Good morning sir.”

“Good morning Abe. Please sit down.”

I sat facing him on a table of a modest size unlike those who choose a pool sized table to intimidate!

A bearer now entered and served coffee.

Chairman said “Let’s  have coffee first.”

I thanked him, sipped my coffee and put the cup down.

He said “Abe you’ve been with us 3 years. I know you have qualified from a prestigious American university cum laud and hold certain patents. Thereafter you have worked in a giant pharmaceutical firm in America. On the basis of your credentials and the recommendations of Dr.McDonald I brought you into this company to strengthen our work force.” He paused to sip coffee.

I said “I’ve done my part sir.”

“In fact very well. There is appreciation for your technical capability and ability to inspire a team. You’ve been matter of fact in your reports and that has been appreciated not only by us but by our principals in Germany. Dr.Stelzer in Munich had in fact requested me to transfer you to the facility in Hamburg but I had declined as I wanted you here. How is it you haven’t finished coffee?”

I emptied the cup and set it aside.

The Chairman continued “Your remuneration here is the finest we’ve on offer. I see from your resignation letter that you’ve no complaint on that score.”

“That is true sir.”

“Then I’m surprised that you want to quit your job.  If you’ve a grievance about work or the facilities or persons on your team you had only to bring it to my notice confidentially and I would’ve taken appropriate action. I’ve full powers which I can use.”

He paused and then said “You’ve merely said in your letter that you want to go back to the USA. You studied there and have also worked there. So I feel there is no charm in relocating in Cincinnati as you’ve put it. Isn’t India a good country to work in? I had also once worked in the USA and I can tell you that as a native Indian, particularly with this city being your provenance you should be happy with your current placement. You’re a bachelor and you’ve no particular ties to America. You can be frank.”

He got a phone call and listened. Then he said “Right now I’m busy. I’ll give you a call. In fact if I’m free you can join me at a working lunch tomorrow.” He listened and laughing said “No need. I had said it informally. Right. We’ll meet here at 10 tomorrow morning.”

He turned to me and said “That was Dr.Verma from Indmed. He wants our help.” He changed the topic and said “I’ve been talking all along when I was supposed to hear from you.”

I said “Sir, the reason for my wanting to leave is my previous boss Dr.McDonald is after me. He has been made head honcho of the new venture of a large company and has been promised large funding for specialised research. He says the effort in that company jointly with an American university could result in award of a Nobel prize.”

The Chairman said “I understand. It is not mere funding and research that will fetch a Nobel.  His predictions about you have been amply proved. I’m wondering how McDonald who is so famed in his field could charm you by saying a Nobel could result from the research. There’re so many other factors that would be considered. Don’t go by that incentive. You could be disappointed. You’re a native and like it here. If you want to discuss further with McDonald I can send you to the USA. Say it and it’ll be arranged.”

I was silent.

The Chairman said “Abe, I’m several years senior to you in age. It has mellowed me besides giving me experience. Something tells me that you’re wavering about how you should go about the future. You’re alone. I mean you’ve no consort to stabilise your course in life.  A wife could help you decide better. I’m afraid I’ve touched on an aspect which is strictly private. If I were you I would take this passing remark seriously.”

I merely smiled and said “Sir I respect advice given by elders. I know I should think of getting married. I’ll certainly do it sir.”

He said “Don’t be hasty about deciding anything including insisting on your resignation being accepted. Think it over. I’ll defer a decision on your letter of resignation.”

“Thank you very much for your kind words sir. I’ll take your advice. If I may go back to my office sir......”

Chairman said “Please do. I’ve spoken rather openly with you. It shouldn’t fall into other ears.”

“I assure you sir it won’t. Thank you sir.”

I went back to my office or I should say my lab. I sat at my computer and saw test data on a drug streaming in as usual. My mind was in a quandary. I saw .Dr.Janvee my next in command

discussing with a biochemist. She had seen me coming back and knew that I had been to see the Chairman. She would be wondering about what he had said.

Let me share a secret: Janvee had also studied in the USA and was very good at work. Knowing I was a bachelor she had once wanted to latch on to me but I was dedicated to being single and had made it clear that I wouldn’t succumb to feminine charms. I felt uncomfortable working with her. It was not that I was immune to the female sex. In America Yoko, a Japanese had studied with me. What had attracted me to her was her intelligence, quick understanding, methodical problem solving and patience. She wasn’t a good-looker but I would’ve pursued her for romance. Unfortunately she died in a car crash. Now Janvee is here with great good looks. I decided not to romance with her. A couple of months ago she gave me the news that her wedding had been fixed with somebody. I asked her “Would you be leaving the job?” and she had said “My fiancé has said I should continue working.”

It was soon after this that I was contacted by Dr.McDonald. I told myself “You played hard to get with Janvee. Did your defeat with her urge you to leave your job? Did you want to hide from her? Yes. I like the work I’m doing. Was I really looking for a Nobel? No. The Chairman had said I should’ve a consort. I’m starting the search. I’m withdrawing my resignation

*

September 03, 2021 00:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.