Nothing happens

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about inaction.... view prompt

0 comments

General

In this world, there are humans and there are monsters. From the day you leave your mother’s womb, you are judged. Those that pass are allowed to continue in their mundality. Those like me.

My brother is not so lucky. His face is the same as me but his yellow eyes make children scream and men bristle for a fight. Yet he never fails to greet me with a smile.

He turned, holding my packed lunch with both hands,

“Morning Squirt. You eating breakfast?”

“Don’t call me that…”

He laughed heartily,

“Then grow up big and strong for me, Squirt.”

He met my eyes, challenging me. I groaned, before pouring some cereal. He poured a coffee, joining me. In the morning light, his eyes looked almost gold.

“What? I have food on my face?”

He crossed his eyes, sucking in his mouth and poking out his tongue.

I laughed then, food spluttering as I couldn’t hold it in.

“Eww, Tesha!”

“Don’t make me laugh then!”

He nugged my arm playfully, before taking the bowls and washing up. I packed my bag. He smiled, staring at me with a face I couldn’t read.

“What?”

“Nothing, have a good day, Squirt!”

I groaned, “Bye, Ray.”

I made my way to school with the others, pulling my black hair back into a ponytail and heading straight to the gym.

It was by the bike sheds that I saw her. She was a first year, small framed and wide eyed. Her blonde hair hung choppily around her face. She jumped as she noticed me, her fangs flashing in fear.

A monster.

I smiled gently, holding the key up shakily.

“I’m just the president of the running club. The hurdles are in the shed there.”

She blushed deeply, turning red.

“S…sorry…”

“It’s alright,” I smiled at her, but she fled. I shrugged, trying to shake of the trembling my body had.

My team arrived soon and we fell into the normal routine in the fresh morning air. It was obvious from the glow of the sun it was going to be a hot day, so I relished in what little cool there was.

“Captain, the bell’s going!”

“Right!”

We hurried to class, but I was still late in. The teacher gave me a glare, but she was busy with another girl. Mary.

“I’m sorry.”

“If you are late to class again, it will be an expulsion, do you hear me? I wont tolerate such a wild student in my class. Go sit down.”

Mary slid herself into her seat, nervously fiddling with her glasses.

The teacher gave me a look before sighing.

“You need to be here before the bell, Miss Tesha.”

“Yes, Miss. I’m sorry.”

“She’s always late,” One of the girls snickered.

“So’s Tesha.”

“Tesha runs though, Mary’s just late.”

“She probably goes to eat rats by the bins!”

“Eww.”

“Girls, silent reading means silent.”

I kept reading. The classes passed quickly, lunch being the small oasis in the boredom of the day. My brother’s food was always amazing, but I needed to drown myself in liquids first. The queue was disgusting, sweaty teenagers fidgeting as they were dished out food.

The kids behind me began to chatter.

“Did you hear about the psycho monster of the week?”

“Yeah, didn’t ten people die?”

“Yeah, heard they ripped them to pieces with their claws!”

“Probably ate them all too.”

My stomach turned at the thought of a murder. I resisted rolling my eyes, my brother’s hands had definitely never grown claws. I shook the thought from my mind and went to eat lunch outside.

Mary was nearby, eating alone. She looked up at me, blushing before returning to her sandwich. Peanut butter and jam.

“Mind if I sit here?”

“Uhh… sure.”

She stood, packing away her food.

“No, I meant… together?”

“Oh…”

She still didn’t meet my eyes, but I could see her smiling behind her bread. I closed my eyes as a breeze wafted through the courtyard, a brief respite from the heat.

When I opened my eyes again several girls were staring. Third years.

“Oh, you’re eyes are normal.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Yeah. I’m in the class next to you.”

“Well, why are you hanging out with the monster?”

Mary flinched at the name. I grit my teeth.

“I can eat wherever I please.”

The elder slammed her hand on the table, her brown eyes burning.

“What’s your problem, I just asked a question?”

A teacher appeared then, apparently adults could teleport the moment they smelled trouble. She frowned at the scene.

“Girls, disband. You are meant to be proper at all times.”

Mary kept her head down, but the teacher still stared at her, before tutting and walking away. She wasted no time packing her things and scurrying off.

“Really, how do they even get into schools like these?”

Another girl laughed, “Well, it’s the whole equality thing, isn’t it? Makes the school look good.”

“Didn’t you hear the teacher?”

“We did. So when are you leaving?”

“I’m not moving.”

The elder snapped then, “Why do you think you can give me so much sass, monster-lover?”

Everyone stared then, the courtyard feeling more crowded than ever. I felt my stomach drop as my cheeks burned.

“I’m not a-”

“Well what was that then? Makes me sick to see them walking around like they belong.”

Something snapped inside me then. The air was so thick I felt like I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t think. Some invisible force moved my arms like a puppet as my body was filled with rage. The elder screamed, her cries pulling me back to the present where two teachers held me back.

I had hit her.

“Tesha! To the headmaster’s now.”

Everything felt surreal, like a dream. I could feel the soft foam cushions of the reception chairs underneath me, my gym shorts underneath my skirt itching from the heat. I tucked my knees under my chin, feeling sick.

The receptionist slammed the phone down, sighing.

“Martha?”

“I’m trying to reach Tesha’s gaurdian but he’s not picking up.”

“Guardian?”

“Yes, her parents were killed by a monster, so her brother is her legal guardian.”

“Oh that poor girl.”

My stomach turned at their chatter. Weren’t there privacy laws or something?

The bell rang but the phone didn’t. It wasn’t until two when my own phone buzzed and I picked it up.

“Tesha, where are you?”

“I’m at school,” I chocked out, the lump in my throat a heavy as the dread in my stomach.

“Good, I’m on my way.”

“Ok.”

The receptionist poked her head out.

“Was that your brother, Ray Jones?”

“Yes, he’s on his way.”

“Good,” The recptionist squeezed my arm gently, smiling sadly.

“Don’t worry too much, Tesha. Your reputation is good, and it is your first offence. Just don’t do it again.”

The bell rung for the end of the day and my feet began to twitch. I knew my club was starting without me. Finally, the doors swung open to reveal Ray, panting with his sunglasses askew and clutching a ticket.

“Oh, Mr. Jones?”

“Yes, sorry I’m late. I got a ticket for speeding,” He waved the crumpled yellow paper. His jacket was pulled tight, covering his work uniform.

“Oh, we did say it wasn’t urgent, Mr. Jones. Miss Greenfield is free now, if you’d both like to go in.”

He smiled, taking off his glasses. The receptionists paled, leaning back as they stared. Ray bowed his head, still smiling as he put a hand on me.

“Shall we?”

I nodded, tearfully.

I could see from this angle my brother’s mouth was smiling, but his golden eyes dulled.



The recpetionist tutted as Ray held the door for me.





“No wonder she’s being called in.”

June 06, 2020 13:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.