0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

NEWS ITEM: The body of Lulu – model and popular actor on TV plays was found on the lawn of Rosemount Tower last night. She lived on the fourth floor and it is believed she jumped to her death sometime last evening. The maid with whom Lulu lived wasn’t aware of Lulu’s passing and had assumed she had gone out somewhere. Lulu was 26. Her parents who live abroad have been informed. The body has been sent for autopsy. Police said she had left no note giving reasons for ending her life. Our correspondent who spoke to two stars who worked with her were totally surprised to hear of Lulu’s untimely end.

It is said Lulu had a call from a movie producer sometime ago to star in a movie but had declined. She had been active in upgrading the lives of physically disadvantaged children and had founded a home to care for them. Due to her initiative many individuals and organizations had contributed money for her cause.

The next morning The Chief Minister (CM) was seated in his private office when Bob a ministerial colleague and CM’s confidante dropped in.

CM: Come in Bob.

BOB: I knew you would look for me seeing Lulu’s end.

CM: Yes. I’ve spoken to the Chief of Police (COP) regarding Lulu’s death. He is investigating the possibility of someone having pushed Lulu to her death. I’ve cautioned him about leaking information when names like mine by chance are spoken about in connection with Lulu’s death.

BOB: COP is very intelligent and knows what to talk about and with whom.

CM got a call and listened carefully. He put the phone aside.

CM: That was COP. He says he has studied Lulu’s phone calls and  two laptops carefully. There was nothing found except Lulu’s talks with her parents. There is nothing revealed about the possibility of her committing suicide.

BOB: We shall see as the investigation progresses. Now we have to face the dam renewal scandal. It is alleged that money was paid to you by the contractor who was selected.

CM:  You know we have so many programs which are languishing for lack of finance. What if I diverted the money I receive to projects which need money urgently? People don’t understand that elections are due soon. Unless I provide money our party will lose.

BOB: The land allotment scam has surfaced again. You gave the okay to build villas. The Leader of Opposition (LOP) says it has been done on land specifically meant for poor migrants. He is going to tackle the issue by taking legal action.

CM: That rascal thinks he is a mountain of virtue. He is going to rue his doings the day I expose his love life which he thinks is secret. I’ve been wary and have collected enough info on him including a picture sent by one of our supporters to compromise him.

BOB: (laughs): The fellow will say it is all fabricated and will be believed. Our people lack the intelligence to sift facts from lies. To them LOP is God.

CM: He will soon regret his attacks on our government when I hint on his son-in-law’s brush with  drug dealer Ivan.

Coffee is served and there was silence for a while. That was over and the two were again left alone.

BOB: I’ve come to discuss about the threat our party is facing from the PK party. Their call to have the finances of the New Empire Construction Company which has declared bankruptcy is being permitted in the legislature. That means....

CM: My son Roger was the prominent promoter of NECC. He has also lost his investment.

BOB: PK insists the loss is small and Roger has made a pile.

CM: Let them say what they want. The fools call it a fundamental right.

BOB: They are asking for Roger’s scalp. He will be questioned.

CM: Roger knows how to defend himself. He is now settled in the USA working for a company he has founded. He is hopping between various countries as he heads marketing. Except when he calls me even I’m not aware where he is. I know who swindled NECC. He is known as Big B. He is now facing charges of smuggling gold into the country. Roger had nothing to do with defalcation of funds by Big B in the NECC case.

BOB: Talking about Big B reminds me of his connection with the movie world. In fact they say it was he who had offered to make Lulu into a movie star but she refused.

CM: I know how it could’ve happened. Big B has his own aircraft and once took Lulu and some others for a stay on an island owned by him a year or so ago. If I remember right Roger had also been invited and he went. But finally Lulu was adamant. People say she was a model of virtue and had a strong opinion against what she considered was the lifestyle of movie stars.

There was a phone call and CM spoke into it.

CM: Bob, the Guv wanted me to meet him tomorrow. But now I’ m told he would like me to meet him this afternoon itself. I know what he wants and have to prepare. We’ll meet again.

Bob leaves. There is a phone call from COP.

CM: You have more info on the Lulu case and have come. Come to my office immediately.

COP arrives.

COP: Sir, there is no evidence of anyone having pushed Lulu to her death. We searched her laptops but found she had erased all messages. We looked for diaries if any which were kept by Lulu. We found a couple of them. She has been brief in her entries using only initials of people. During our search we found a photograph of Lulu with Big B and Roger. Since Roger is in the photo I thought I would inform you.

CM: Thank you for a job well done.

COP: In her diaries Lulu has referred to someone as Knight. She seemed to have had a soft corner for whoever it was.

CM: These TV stars have nicknames for people they meet often. They also have many attachments.

COP: We’ll in due course close the case as suicide due to temporary insanity.

CM: I greatly appreciate your work. I’m meeting the Guv this afternoon and will remind him about approving your promotion with additional responsibilities.

COP: Thank you sir. I’ll keep you informed if there’re developments in the case.

A week later CM was at home with his wife.

WIFE: Roger spoke to me this afternoon from a place called Bermuda. What surprised me was his saying he had got married a few days ago to a South American girl and was going to settle in Bermuda.

CM: I suppose you’re disappointed.

WIFE: Certainly. I had a girl in mind for him.

CM: Forget about it since he has decided for himself. I’m hungry. Is dinner ready?

WIFE: Sure. Come and have it.

CM (to himself): I can guess who Lulu had referred to as Knight. His wedding has ended a life. Lulu being follower of a strict moral code has remained silent on reasons for her suicide. But my problems never end!

END

September 26, 2022 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.