THE CLOCK STRIKES TWELVE MY PRINCE IS WAITING

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Holiday Friendship

Reflection, a time to look back on a year that was filled with so many amazing moments and moments that weren't amazing. A time to move foreword, to look to a New Year for new beginnings.

My name is Jaylen, 2022 for me was a year filled with so many ups and downs. Now as I sit here in my apartment looking out of the window watching the world get ready for the New Year, I look back on the year that was and get ready for the year to come.

The year began like any other year with a big party, lots of good food, lots of drinking and lots of dancing. It was an amazing time. I never had so much fun in my life.

But then as I started to begin my life in the New Year, I get the worst possible news. My beloved Granny passed away. I was stunned. I was heartbroken. I cried for days. I shut everyone out including my best friend Chase.

My Gran was my world. She raised me to be the woman I am. She taught me about responsibility and working hard. She always use to tell me to follow my dreams and to never give up on my dreams.

My fondest memory of my Gran was during the holiday season. We were always in the kitchen baking cakes and cookies. Gran was one special woman. I miss her so much.

After Gran passed away, I gave up on my dreams of becoming a photo journalist. I couldn't do it anymore, not without Gran. She gave me my first camera and ever since then my love for taking pictures took off. You will always see me with a camera in my hands.

During the next couple of months since My Gran's passing Chase has been coming to my apartment to check up on me, to bring me food and just talking to me.

Chase was Gran's favorite person other than me. Me and Chase talked about the many things we did together as kids. We laughed at the many crazy things we did together.

Me and Chase live in the same apartment building. He lives two floors up from me but we haven't spent as much time together. Since Gran passed, I've been seeing Chase a lot.

I don't blame Chase for not hanging out with me. He has a busy life. I guess my depression brought Chase back to me.

When spring arrived Chase came to see me. He told me it's time to get out of my depression and start doing what I love to do, taking pictures.

I knew Chase was right. My depression was getting the best of me. I didn't know how to cope without Gran and that's what I told Chase.

Chase grabbed me by the hand and told me "I'm here for you Jaylen. You still got me." For the first time in a long time, I smiled. I smiled because Chase never gave up on me.

On a beautiful Saturday afternoon Chase came and took me and my camera to the park. At first I didn't want to go but Chase encouraged me and I took the first step to a normal life.

You know what Chase was right. We got to the park. I saw the many happy smiling people. Chase handed me my camera. I took it and took my first picture in a long time.

I cried not because of Gran but for me missing out on what I love to do. Chase came to me and hugged me. He told me everything is going to be alright and it's not too late to continue to follow my dreams, that's what I did.

My camera and of course Chase became my two best friends. I began to take pictures of my neighborhood, the people and of Chase. My portfolio began to grow.

I showed Chase my portfolio. He was happy and excited to see my work. He loved the pictures I took including those of himself. He asked me what my next steps were. I told him I sent my pictures to a few magazines including Time and People.

My life was looking up all thanks to Chase. He never gave up on me and he taught me not to give up on myself just like Gran did.

By the summer I received an email from People Magazine saying they love my work and want to see me in person for an interview. I looked up at the sky and said Gran, I did it. Next, I went to see Chase and told him the good news.

Chase was happy for me, that night he took me out to dinner and helped me prepare for my interview. Chase gave me pointers on how to talk and how to act. I took it all in.

The day of my interview came. I was extremely nervous. I really wanted the job. I called Chase, he told me not to worry and to believe in myself. I knew with Chase by side this job would be mine.

I put on my best clothes and left for the interview. You know what happened next. They loved me and my work. I got the job.

I couldn't believe how well I was doing. 2022 started off bad but now I'm on top of the world. I still miss Gran but I have Chase with me.

I called Chase the moment I got out of my interview. He was proud of me. I got my dream job. Fall arrived and with that came Halloween. I was going to spend Halloween by myself instead Chase invited me to his friend's party.

I went as a modern-day version of Cinderella. Chase went as something scary. He picked me up from my apartment and together we went to the party. I had the time of my life.

Being with Chase has opened me up to the possibility of love, something I never felt before. Chase has opened up my heart.

Me and Gran always use to spend Thanksgiving together, now I had no one to spend Thanksgiving with. Then Chase came and invited me to spend Thanksgiving with him and his family.

I jumped at the chance to go. We went back to the old neighborhood which brought back a lot of memories of me and Gran.

Chase's family was amazing. I relayed missed his sister Lucy and his mother's cooking was so delicious. I laughed at every one of his dad's jokes. I loved this Thanksgiving but Gran not being here was making me sad.

Chase came to me and hugged me. Being in his arms took away the pain of missing Gran. Thanksgiving was over and the Holidays were upon us.

Me and Chase helped each other out in the decoration department. By the time we were done both our apartments looked like Christmas. Now I had to get Chase a present.

I couldn't find anything I liked for Chase. So, I decided to make Chase a photo album of this past year we spent together. When I finished the photo album it looked beautiful. I pray that Chase would love it.

Chase once again invited me to his parent's house for Christmas. I was excited to go. Christmas Eve came and like clock work Chase came to pick me up. We arrived at his parent's house just in time for dinner.

Dinner was amazing, the company was great. When it was time to open presents, I gave Chase mine first. He opened it and just as I hoped he would Chase liked my present. I opened his present next. Chase gave me a charm bracelet. I loved it.

The next day, Christmas Day Chase took me to the cemetery to visit Gran. I brought Gran's favorite flower Camellia. I placed them on her grave. I sat down in front of Gran's grave and began to talk to Gran.

I told Gran everything that's been happening to me. I tell her Chase is in my life and he's been inspiring me to do incredible things. Last thing I tell Gran is that I miss her and I love her. Then me and Chase left the cemetery holding hands.

Christmas is over and here we are New Year's Eve. A lot has happened to me this past year from Gran's passing to Chase coming back into my life to getting my dream job. 2022 was a rollercoaster ride.

To make 2023 even more special, there is one thing I have been wishing for and that is a kiss from my prince when the clock strikes twelve. I go to my room and put on my best clothes, a little make-up and fix my hair. I look at myself in the mirror. Jaylen, you look beautiful.

I check the time. Oh My God! It's almost twelve. I leave my apartment and walk to the elevator. I push the button and wait for the elevator to come down.

Two minutes later the elevator doors open. I enter and push the button for the 7th floor. I check the time, it's 11:53 seven minutes until the New Year.

The elevator door opens. I walk to Chase's apartment. The music is still playing. I walk to the apartment door, open it and walk in. Chase is standing by the window. I check the time, it's 11:56 four minutes to midnight.

I'm getting nervous. Jaylen, you can do this. I walk to Chase. He sees me and begins to walk towards me.

"Jaylen, you look beautiful."

'Thanks. You look handsome."

It's mere seconds until midnight. Chase grabs my hand. We begin the count down 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, Chase kisses me. I kiss him back.

"Happy New Year Jaylen."

"Happy New Year Chase."

Me and Chase kiss once more

January 04, 2023 23:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.