2 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

When I met Charlie he was stationed in Germany with the reserves. we texted and Skyped until he came home. Then we dated and really hit it off. Both of us had been hurt in the past. So we wanted to take it slow and be sure of our feelings.

I told him of my insecurities with men, and how it had ti do with me growing up with a controlling mother. She was not an affectionate person either. When I was a teenager, my body was changing and emotions were all over the place. I had no one to turn too for advice and support.

Mother was a bitch and didn't seem to care. I was depressed and shy around a lot of people. I would go to my room and play records. I loved Elton John. I fantasized about him and wished I could meet him. This was before he came out as Gay. I would lay on the bed crying and wishing Elton would rescue me and take me away with him.

I told Charlie all about it when we had quiet times to talk. I told him this because Elton John was retiring next year from touring to concentrate on raising his sons. It mad me very sad, but I understood why he was doing it.

I did get to see him in concert about 7 years ago. We had nose bleed seats over his shoulder, but I was glad to be there.

Once on Face Book, I saw a photo of a bench. The caption read, "What person living or dead would you sit and talk to for one hour?"

'Elton John' of course, I thought. I knew that would never happen. But, I can dream, Right?

Charlie and I had been dating for several months when my birthday rolled around. He asked me what I wanted.

"Since we've dating a short time, let's just go to a nice restaurant out of town and spend the night" I told him.

"Ok," He said. "Any suggestions?"

"Nope." I told him. "You pick."

2 days before my birthday, he came over, He kissed me and handed me a card.

"What's this?" I asked him. "My birthday isn't for 2 more days."

"Open it." He smiled. I just looked at him.

"Open it." He said again.

So, I opened it. inside were 2 tickets to see Elton John in concert in Charlotte, N.C. next week. 5th row seats! I looked at him with tears rolling down my face.

"Seriously?" I whispered.

"Seriously." He whispered back. "I knew this was the thing to get you that no one else would. I ran to him and threw my arms around him and just bawled.

"Happy early birthday, Sweetheart!" He said. "I hope this makes you feel better."

"Oh, My gosh, Baby. It does.' i said. "Thank you so much, Charlie. I love you!" It was the first time I said that to him.

"I love you, too." He said.

We had a wonderful time. He wasn't a big Elton John fan. But he enjoyed it.

After the concert, we waited for the crowd to thin out. I wanted to go to the bathroom before we left. I had to wait in like for awhile. Charlie got in and out very quickly in the men's room.

I finally got in and did my business and washed my hands. I had to drip dry because there were no more paper towels. I didn't see Charlie when I walked out. I looked around for him. I finally saw him talking to some guy. I walked over to them.

Charlie introduced us.

"Woody, this is my girlfriend, Missy. Missy, this is Woody." He said. Woody and I shook hands "Woody and I were in Germany together."

"I work here when I'm home." Woody said.

"Wow. That must be fun." I said. "Have you met any famous people?"

"Yes. A few. But most of them come in , peform the run back to their fancy RVs"

"I told him how much you love Elton John." Charlie said. "Woody said Elton hasn't left yet. He is still in the building."

"Yeah. We can wait right here and watch him come out that door'" He pointed to a big door.

"Wow. Really?" I was excited. We stood there talking and watched people leaving. About an hour later, two big men came out the door. They looked around. They stepped back and 'The' Sir Elton John walked out. my heart did a flip flop in my chest.

Then he looked in our direction and walked over. I almost passed out.

'Why is he walking over here? I thought.

"Woody!" Elton John said as he walked up. "Thank you so much for the extra chairs we needed. I appreciate the extra work for us."

"You are so welcome. Sir." Woody said. "I'm here to help anyway I can."

"Thank you again." Elton said.

I was standing there looking at my Idol , Elton John face to face. I made some kind of noise because he and Woody looked at me.

"'Sir Elton John," Woody said. "May I introduce a good friend of mine, Charlie and his girlfriend,Missy. She has been a huge fan of yours for many many years."

Sir Elton John shook my hand. I almost passed out.

"Hi. I mean, Hello, Sir!" I managed to squeak out. "I've loved you for years. Thank you for your beautiful music."

"Thank You for being a loyal fan." He said as he stepped back.

"Sir," Charlie said. "Would you mind if I took a picture of you and my girlfriend together?"

"Yes. that would be fine with me." Elton said. we took several pictures. As he was leaving, Elton John Kissed me on the cheek.

I was so glad Charlie got the picture, or I would have thought I dreamed it.

Sir Elton John left the building with his entourage. I was still in shock.

"Well, sweetheart," Charlie said. "Did you enjoy your birthday?"

"Thank you, Charlie." I hugged him so tight. "Thank you. I loved it, and I love you, too." I looked over at Woody.

"Thank you too, Woody." I said. "This was AWESOME!" I gave him a big hug too.

Best Birthday Ever!!!!

November 24, 2022 02:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

T.M. Kehoe
23:59 Nov 30, 2022

This would benefit from another proofread and edit, I think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paige Lohr
02:18 Nov 27, 2022

Did this even get into the contest?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.