FIREWORKS

Written in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

It's New Years' eve morning, I’m lying on my bed as my alarm goes off. Annoyed I snooze it and continue sleeping, I eventually wake up and go downstairs to make some cereal. I chose some frosted flakes! I quickly brought it upstairs and ate while picking my outfit for when I'm hanging out with my “friend”! We started texting in early December and now we're decently close sorta maybe like him, I don't know. 

   Scrooge is a rich person who is greedy. He's in the book/movie “Christmas Carol”. He doesn’t want to donate money to charity during Christmas or in general. But, then he was visited by the spirits of the past, present, and future. From the experiences, he went through he realized what he has done and he wants to prevent what would happen in the future. The Grinch who’s from the story “The Grinch who stole Christmas”, lives in a cave north of Whoville with his dog Max. He’s aggressive and selfish. He hates Christmas and tries to ruin it for the others by stealing their Christmas things.

         Scrooge and the Grinch are similar in several ways, they both dislike Christmas. In the book, it says, “The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season! Now please don’t ask why. No one quite knows the reason”, thus the Grinch hates Christmas but no one knows why! As well for Scrooge, says in the play that Christmas is a humbug which means hypocrite since it takes his money. As well as hating Christmas they both are selfish. Scrooge is selfish because he refuses to donate money to charity and wants everything for himself. He even chooses money over love. Grinch is selfish because he doesn’t want anyone in Whoville to celebrate Christmas and tries to ruin it for everyone else. Lastly, the way they are similar is because they both hated Christmas in the beginning but then they ended up celebrating Christmas with others. Scrooge realized what would happen if he kept being rude and selfish and celebrated Christmas, he even brought turkey for them! The Grinch hated Christmas and tried to ruin their Christmas. But after stealing everything he saw how the people were still in Christmas spirit as they sang together. He figured out what Christmas was really about and joined them while giving everything he stole back to the people in Whoville.

         As well as being similar they are also different. The Grinch lives in a cave on a mountain, his shoes are tight, and he’s dirty. From this, I’m inferring that he isn’t rich and has a very different lifestyle than Scrooge. Scrooge has a clerk and chef, and from the pictures in the play, I can infer that he’s rich. Another way they differ is that Scrooge is human and the Grinch isn’t. Scrooge is a human in the photos and he is described as a human with human generations. The Grinch is green and furry, which isn’t a human-like feature. Lastly, is how Scrooge isn’t trying to ruin Christmas however, the Grinch is. Scrooge isn’t trying to ruin Christmas, he's just rude and dislikes Christmas. However, Grinch goes out of his way just to ruin Christmas, unlike Scrooge. The way Grinch acted affected people's Christmas but their Christmas spirit was even stronger. 

         I think that the Grinch and Scrooge are more alike than different. The main points in the story are the similarities between Grinch and Scrooge. Like how they both disliked Christmas and then started liking it and became generous.

In December 2019, a group of scientists from the University of Hawaii traveled to Australia to participate in an Asian-Pacific symposium on global warming. The symposium would take place in Darwin and the group made plans to arrive a week early in order to drive south and see several of Australia's natural features including Ayers Rock and the Olgas. The group flew to Tennant Creek and from there took a smaller plane to an airfield on the outskirts of Alice Springs. From there, the group rented camping equipment, and a four-wheel drive vehicle and purchased food to last five days. The group then hired an Aboriginal guide to drive them 450 km southeast to Uluru National Park, the site of Ayers Rock. The sightseeing trip went smoothly and thanks to the Aboriginal guide's knowledge of the area, the group arrived back at Alice Springs two days early. The symposium would begin in three days, on December 16. The scientists decided to drive the 700 km to Tennant Creek. Along the way, they would visit Devil's Marbles and camp for two days in the semi-desert area, 250 kilometers southeast of Tennant Creek. They purchased a few more supplies and made arrangements for the Aboriginal guide to go with them and return the vehicle at the end of the trip.

It was around 8:00 PM so I watched k-dramas with my mom. Afterward, I played some games and watched anime. I got a DM on Instagram from a girl from school named Kayla! We texted for a bit and called, and finally, I have a new interest. I think I actually have a chance! On the walk to the beach, we talked and had a picnic till about 10 o'clock. I invite him to my house and told him he could bring his family because were having a party. He agreed and asked his family. He sent my address to them and we drove to my house. We jammed to songs all the way back! We reached my house around 10:20! My family was kinda pissed because I didn't tell them I was going out but it was so worth it. The party had started at 8:30 so everyone was there! I and Andre went upstairs as well as the other kids. Some kids were making tiktoks and I decided to join them. They called everyone down once it was 11 o'clock. We ate some snacks and I got some frosting on my lips and he wiped it off! That definitely made my heart skip a beat. We sang karaoke and got grapes. Some people were planning on eating grapes for 12 wishes. I found it a bit amusing but I wish the best for them. Soon, it was already only 5 minutes left!! We went outside to go set up the fireworks. Only 10 seconds left... Andre looked at me and smiled. 5..4..3..he was only an inch away from my face. 2.. 1!! We kissed as the fireworks went off.

January 07, 2023 02:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.