0 comments

Fiction Friendship High School

“Well that was dramatic!” But then Maureen always was a drama queen. I don’t know why she’s acting this way. She didn’t even want the part. Or did she? It was that time of year again. The time of year when the school put on their annual play. This year they were doing Romeo and Juliet. 

Mrs. Rollins , who is the head of the drama department had just posted the date and times for auditions on the hallway wall next to her office. 

“Are you going to audition this year?” I asked Maureen. 

“I don’t know. I was thinking of trying out for Juliet . but that play can be so boring. 

“Boring? What is boring about Romeo and Juliet? It’s a classic that has stood the test of time.” 

“That’s just like you Sandra , you and your theater.” 

I could not believe my ears. That is the first time I ever heard her refer to any play as boring. Something was not right here. What was Maureen up to. She rarely if ever missed an audition. She was always the first one in line at an audition and she always went after the best parts. But I didn’t have time to worry about her now. I had to get to class. 

Weeks went by and Maureen didn’t even talk about the play. Something was up and it was time to find out what was going on.  

“So Maureen did you ever audition for the play?” I asked her . “No did you?” 

“Yeah itried out for one of Juliets friends.” 

“Why not just play Juliet herself?” she asked. 

“No thanks there is not a boy in this school I would want to kiss.”I told her laughing. 

But Maureen just shrugged her shoulders and walkeed off. Whats going on with her I wondered.I was about to follow her but my phone rang.What do they want I said to myself annoyed. Why do they have to call now. But it was my mother so I had to calm down. By the time I got off the phone Maureen was gone so I just went home. I decided I would follow her tomorrow. 

I got up early in the morning so I ncould get to class early.That way I could watch her through the day.But since I was up early my mom made me eat breakfast and clean the kitchen. I also had to wait on my little brother. I was lucky I wasn’t late! Mothers! Didn’t matter though Maureen wasn’t even in school. 

She wasn’t in school the next day either. After school was out I went over her house just to see if she was okay. And to find out why she disappeared when the auditions were about to come to a close. When I got to her house nobody was home. So I went home. 

It was Friday. I hadn’t seen Maureen in a week. And to tell the truth I was a little bit worried. But, as I was coming out of the school I saw her talking to a teacher.  Said good bye to a friend and walked over.  

“Where have you been I was worried?I asked her. 

What are you my mother?” she answered angrily. Then after giving me the evil eye, she stormed off. What was that all about I wondered.Maureen was a drama queen , but at least you knew what the drama was about. I was more determined than ever to find out what was going on . If I had to ask every person in that school to find out so be it.You want drama. I will show you drama! 

The next day I became superspy. I even wore black. One by one I started asking everyone if they heard anything about Maureen. Most people said no,but I also got a lot of annoyed stares. Well a lot of people didn’t like Maureen so I wasn’t surpprised.  

But I couldn’t stop now. Even though people were looking at me like I was crazy. Sure I had other friends but Maureen was my best friend. And even though I was a little angry at herat the moment. I knew something was wrong.

It was only two weeks left before the auditions were over. Time was running out for me. Okay if she really didn’t want to be in the play then that would be fine. Why didn’t she just tell me. Why is she so angry all the time?

Walking down the hallway lost in thought L bumped into someone.

“Watch where your going.” Maureen said.

I looked at her, but I didn’t say anything. I waited for her to say something but she didn’t. She just looked at me and walked off.That went on for at least a week. We would be in class but we wouldn’t talk to each other. The rest of the class started whispering about us.

“Trouble in paradise?” one girl asked laughing.

“Haha.” I said sarcastically.”

“Well you and Maureen have been inseperable since the sixth grade.”she mused.

“I know . She just wont talk to me and I don’t know why.”

“Well I’m sure you two will work it out. You always do.”she said waas she walked off to her next class.

She was right I thought to myself. We had rough patches through the years,but we always worked through it. Enough time has gone by. It was time to confront her. Whatever happens I will just have to deal with it.

So I went to find her ,but I was not prepared for what I found. For what I walked into. I found Maureen in the auditium.She was in a yelling match with Mrs. Rollins. I stood there in total shock. I coun’t believe my eyes or my ears. 

“Auditions are still open aren’t they?” Maureen was screaming

“Yes they are, but I told you the part for Juliet is already cast.”

“Well I can do it better!” 

“C’mon Maureen some of us want to tryout too.”one boy said. 

Maureen went wild. She started pushing the people behind her and screaming. I wanted to go over andt try to stop her , but my feet wouldn’t move.

“Maureen we have been auditioning for three weeks. Why didnt you come in earlier? This isn’t fair to the rest of the students.

“I don’t care! MY mom said I couldn’t be in the play this year,but I decided to do it anyway. I have to be Juliet.”

“We alredy have a Juliet. You are more than welcome to try out for something else.”

I felt like this was the time to move before Maureen exploded. Walked up to put my hands on her shoulders. I looked at Mrs. Rollins she looked so stressed.

“Lets go Maureen I’ll walk you home.”

Maureen looked around at everybody. She looked like she was about to cry. Nobody said anything as we left the auditorium.

Why did you tell me?” I asked her as we were walking to her house.She just shrugged her shoulders and turned around to hug me. 

“Its okay . We’ll work it out.”

She smiled at me and we walked slowly to her house. After she walked in and the door closed. All I could do was walk home shaking my head.


December 11, 2021 04:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.