19 comments

Drama Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

The rain rumbled against the glass in the hospital room.

The spare, small room smelled of disinfectant and dust. The crisp white sheets shone bright against the yellow curtains and peeling trim. 


Sara Ann saw the concerned look of an elderly nurse, tilting her head at her as the door closed. 


She took off her rain soaked jacket, and looking around found a hook behind the door to hang it on, before turning to finally acknowledge the figure on the bed.


A pale gaunt man, hair thinning and gray, lay still, only his arms uncovered by the sheet and thin blanket. Life beat a slow pulse through tubes in and out of his body, allowing him to breath and eat. Wary of him still, even now, Sara Ann eased down onto the blue plastic visitors chair. After several hesitant attempts she reached out to touch his gray hand, veined and purple, the skin soft and brittle as tissue paper. At the touch, the man’s yellow eyes opened, and his head turned slightly.


“Hello Father. How are you feeling?” She whispered.


“Sara Ann, is that you?” He moved to sit up, but fell back, breathless. A weak voice came out of the old man. “Is Clara…?


“Clara…” She cleared her throat.

 “Clara is good, she has a good job in the City, and married you know. Mike. He’s a good guy. You’d hate him, a real City type, but.” Sara Ann smiled and gripped the hand. “She’s made it out, isn’t that great? She’d come, but it’s too far to travel, with the weather.” 

Sara wiped her eyes, a quick efficient motion before looking back up.

“I’m … fine. Still working at O’Malley's, Night Manager. I got your taste for the drink -”


Across the room, a framed poster hung against striped wallpaper. A faded, colorless schooner, tilted into the wind, sailing endlessly across the wall, never to reach the far shore. 


The storm rose up, wind pushing the rain hard, rumbling against the glass in the small room.

The sound echoed in her memory, the day she last saw this man standing, 10 years ago.

       ********************


The rain rumbled against the glass in the small kitchen.


“Gimme that!” her father yelled, his booming voice thundered through the room. One huge, strong hand reached out for Sara Ann across the kitchen, the other had her sister Clara, in a vice grip, holding her still in front of him. Sara Ann knew she had to rescue Clara from their father, but didn't know how.


“You’re a fool, girl. Don’t be stupid.” Spittle flew from her father’s mouth. He stood tall and broad against the wall, the cupboard next to him empty. He took a step forward-


“-No!” Sara Ann cried out. Tears blurred her vision, she had to stop this monster.


He stopped, his foot slid back. “You’d better be careful with that, girl-”


“Let her go. I told you, you can never-” Sara Ann’s voice cracked.


“Clara wants to come to my party, don’t you-” Thin lips peeled back to expose yellow teeth, his head bent down over the girl in front of him, but the dark bloodshot eyes never left Sara Ann’s. “You and and I have had lots of parties, can’t leave Clara out of the fun-”


The shotgun was so heavy.  

Sara Ann arms shook with the effort, as she used all of her strength to lift the heavy gun back up toward his face, that evil menacing grin. 


Her feet stuck to the cold kitchen floor like she had always been there, always in this standoff. She didn’t know the next move. How long had she been here, frozen against the hard linoleum?


Sara Ann let her eyes drop to Clara, crying, her bear shoved into her face. Torn in the struggle, stuffing fell out from its midsection. Clara’s body, too well developed for her 13 years, had betrayed her, and someone had to pay. Sara Ann had to get them out of there, but how?


“Better raise that up!” Her Father’s deep voice called out, and Sara Ann leaned back, the heavy barrel tilted, back up in the air. 

Her sobs flowed in waves, shaking the long metal barrel. 


“You don't want to blow away your sister do ya? Now give me that.”


It reached out, that terrible hand that had given her so much pain, and she thought in shame, pleasure too. She could just give in, take the punishment, easier than this, carrying the weight of the shotgun, and her final, terrible rebellion. 


“Don’t move!” Sara Ann screamed, a shrill sound that pierced through the man, like a nail pinning him back to the wall.


“I did those- things, and you promised never to touch Clara. You promised!”


“Don't listen to her Clara. Sara Ann’s gone off her head, just like her Mother.”


Sara Ann’s arms shook with fatigue, the huge shotgun so heavy. 

The kitchen, once a safe place, had become blurry, a fog of confusion shrinking her vision until all she saw was her father, his grin and those red eyes.

The barrel fell, and she scrambled to raise it up, her sweating hands slipping on the wooden handle and cold metal.


“Sara Ann, put that gun down, it’s too big for such a little girl. Come on, hand it over, and I’ll forget all about this.”


“Let Clara go-” 


“Where are you two gonna go? It's raining, and cold outside. I’ll light a fire, we can cook up some sausages and potatoes-”


“We don’t have any food Father! We don’t have anything- please just let Clara go! The barrel dipped, and again she leaned back, but this time her feet slipped, and she fell onto one knee. Fear pushed her to keep the gun level, but it was too late. 


His large hand reached out and grabbed the barrel, she felt control slipping, slipping… 


*************

“Goodbye Father.” 

Sara Ann stood, looking down at the hospital bed, her coat in her arm. “I’ll be seeing you.”


 She opened the door and left, her head down as she walked by.


“I want a daughter like that.” The older nurse said, nodding. She’s here every year for, must be 10 years now. Ever since the shotgun accident. That’s dedication.”


“Accident? The young nurse looked up.


“A terrible loss, that poor little girl.” 


December 29, 2023 23:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Alexis Araneta
08:17 Jan 17, 2024

Oh, Clara. :( I'm so sorry for her and Sara. I do hope she'd be able to forgive herself and realise it's not her fault.

Reply

Marty B
18:56 Jan 17, 2024

That is a universal truth- We all need to be nicer to ourselves, and forgive our own past. But that is really hard! Thanks-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
16:01 Jan 08, 2024

I love how dark this is, and how you depict the characters, as well as the people making assumptions and judgements where they don't know what's really happening. Nice writing!!

Reply

Marty B
23:36 Jan 08, 2024

Thanks- assumptions always cause problems!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 05, 2024

Oof - normally you write killer opening lines, but this story ends with an absolute kick in the face. Excellent take on the prompt, and caught me completely by surprise, even though there were plenty of clues it was a possibility. I thought the protagonist was behaving very oddly, given her apparent caring for a man that terrorized her and her sister. Her degree of forgiveness in just a decade seemed extreme - but then we learn the truth. It's not that she forgave him, it's that she now also blames herself. Yeah, as far as twists go, thi...

Reply

Marty B
00:44 Jan 06, 2024

A dark turn of events in this little snippet of a story. There is no forgiveness in this little room, just guilt and pain, and everyone is stuck, just as the ship in a never-ending storm. Thanks !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Lake
04:00 Jan 03, 2024

Ooof, what a gut punch. Loved the use of the storm throughout both scenes, and the imagery of the schooner. Neither Sara Ann nor Clara ever got to reach the shore.

Reply

Marty B
04:54 Jan 03, 2024

Yes, exactly! Sara Ann just like the schooner, was stuck in that room, unable to forgive or forget her role in the traumatic events from so long ago. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
17:29 Jan 02, 2024

From the evocative title to the storm motif and lovely sound patterning this has many moments of beauty despite the horrific back story. You really set a scene so well Marty and this sentence has lovely balance: The storm rose up, wind pushing the rain hard, rumbling against the glass in the small room. Love those repeated r's and s's. You have risen to the flash challenge, well done.

Reply

Marty B
18:06 Jan 02, 2024

I appreciate you noticing the sounds in the words! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:41 Jan 01, 2024

Ouch.... That end is a bullet to the heart. Powerful stuff though and the scene is brilliantly presented Happy new year!

Reply

Marty B
18:07 Jan 02, 2024

Thanks for the good words! I like these extra -short entries, it makes each word matter. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
04:21 Jan 01, 2024

Chilling. What an awful situation to grow up in, and then to continue to visit her abuser. It’s reminds us that perception and reality may be two different things. What we see on he super face of a person in no way represents their lived reality. Happy new year!

Reply

Marty B
18:35 Jan 01, 2024

Yes, reality is relative. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
17:11 Dec 30, 2023

We wrote up some sinister characters this week, didn't we? This father is truly a monster and I think Sara Ann did everyone a favor by disabling him. I'm guessing Clara didn't make it as we were misled to believe in the first scene, and the guilt brings Sara Ann to visit him? Not sure I'd ever want to see him again! Either way the writing is great. I loved these flash prompts this week because it forced us to trust the reader and be intentional with the dialogue, which I think you did really well! Thanks for sharing! “I want a daughter li...

Reply

Marty B
18:35 Jan 01, 2024

Is it the cold winter weather that made our entries so dark? Yes, guilt in this story is a powerful force, making Sara Ann stuck in her terrible past, regretting her (impossible) choice. Thanks for comments, and edits!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
03:18 Dec 30, 2023

Gut-wrenching! Why'd you do that to me Marty? 😭

Reply

Marty B
17:41 Dec 30, 2023

Your response was exactly what I was going for, thank you! Made my day ;) Happy New Year!

Reply

J. D. Lair
18:39 Dec 30, 2023

Haha happy to help. :P Happy New Year to you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.