2 comments

Drama Friendship Inspirational

Ruth was being summoned. It was her family's policy to have everyone present at the supper table unless some major force was at work. Supper time was 6p most nights, including Saturday, but not Friday and Sunday nights. She, her younger brother, Benjamin, and even younger sister, Sarah, were involved in many school and church activities. Because the time frames for these activities usually ran well into the evening, mom and dad showed some leniency on those two nights. 


It was just a few minutes before 6p. Her mom walked over to the stairs and patiently called out, "Honey, supper's ready, we are waiting for you". 


"I'm coming, mom! I will be there in just a minute! Please go ahead and start without me". Her mom was unaware of what had just transpired minutes before, and Ruth was unsure just how long that minute would be. She would try to collect herself first.


Her mom being a mom detected a soft quiver in her daughter's voice and noted a lack of conviction in the reply. 


"Okay sweetie but please come as soon as you can. I have a nice dinner prepared and I would like for you to join us while the food is still warm". "I'm anxious to hear how your Vacation Bible School Committee meeting went today". She loved her mom and was grateful for her incredible patience and intuition to apply a little or a lot of TLC (i.e., tender loving care) when and as needed. 


Benjamin was the opposite of his mom. He rolled his eyes and said, "Mom, she knows she should be here with everyone else, on time and in her spot, and you need to get her here, NOW!". "You don't talk like that, Benjamin Steven Sharpe. I think your sister is emotional about something and she needs some time. I would do the same for you! She's also 21, young man! Now say the grace for us and ask God to provide peace for Ruth and our entire family."  


Sarah, though, didn't really care. She was hungry and couldn't wait to finish her baked spaghetti so she could get to the chilled chocolate creme pie that looked absolutely splendid there on the kitchen countertop. If you asked how old she was, she would say, "I'm going on 12".


**************************************************


She couldn't believe what she probably should not have been reading. A deep emotion filled her soul and tears filled her eyes. She began to sob and the tears that filled her eyes spilled over and ran down her pretty, freckled cheeks. This just wasn't possible. 


She had returned to her room to freshen up before supper after her best friend, Audrey, left to go home. Ruth had invited her to come home with her so they could discuss and hopefully agree on the Vacation Bible School theme they would propose to the Committee. The date for Vacation Bible School was getting close and the committee had much work to do. Ruth and Audrey had just completed their Junior Year at Geneva College located in Beaver Falls, PA and were not only both majoring in Elementary Education with an emphasis on Special Needs but also roommates and lived in Clarke Hall. VBS was a good summer activity, one that provided them some much needed experience working with kids.  


Upon entering her room, a white envelope laying on the floor beside where Audrey had been sitting, caught her eye. She walked over and picked it up. The return address was The Offices of Dr Henry Theodore, Institue of Bio-Medicine, Gestople Pa 15010 and was addressed to Ms. Audrey Langston. It was stamped PRIVATE in big red letters. Audrey had obviously read it as the envelope had been opened. 


Ruth had a dilemma on her hands. She had been taught to respect other people's privacy. The dilemma though was she deeply cared for her friend, and she would want to know if her friend was sick and if she was, how bad was it? A letter from a doctor's office to her best friend and stamped PRIVATE could not possibly bear good news. 


Her concern for her friend overrode what she had been taught. She slowly opened the envelope and began to read.


April 23, 2023


Ms. Audrey Lanston

c/o Brad and Mandy Langston

145 Cherry Lane

Hurdly PA 16555


RE: Tests Results 


Dear Ms. Langston,


We have attempted to contact you regarding the results of the tests that have been run over the last two weeks. 


Our office would like for you to come in and meet with Dr. Henry Theodore. He will review with you each of the tests that were performed to determine whether cancer was present and if so, the type and the stage. 


We are very happy to report that the tumor has been determined to be benign.


Our office wishes to congratulate you for knowing the warning signs of cancer and contacting our medical team for a thorough evaluation without delay.


Please contact me at my direct number to confirm receipt of this notification. My direct line is (717) 222 - 3434. I look forward to hearing from you! 


Sincerely,

Cynthia Reading, FNP


CC: Dr Henry Theodore, MD


The tears that had filled her eyes and spilled over and ran down her pretty, freckled cheeks were tears of joy. She was overcome with a powerful feeling of gratitude and thankfulness ... grateful and thankful her best friend did not have cancer. 


Although she was overjoyed with the news, she was also saddened by the thought that her best friend, someone she shared everything with, would keep this from her. She didn't understand and to be honest, she was disappointed with her friend.


She shared all this with her mom ... the violation of privacy, the details of the cancer scare, her burning desire to confess, her disappointment with her best friend. Her mom held her tight and said what any wise mom would say, "Honey, honesty is the best policy ... you have to get it out into the light."


Ruth finished her supper and went to her room to think and to pray and hopefully get some rest. She doubted she would be able to sleep. 


Around 830p, her mom knocked on her bedroom door and said that Audrey was downstairs and had asked if she could come up because she thought she left something in your room. 


A few minutes later, Audrey entered her room and immediately noticed that Ruth had been crying. "Oh, my Ruthie, what's troubling you? I haven't seen you cry since the time I had to spend the summer with my Grandparents in Indiana". 


"You read the letter from Dr. Theodore's office, didn't you?". Ruthie looked at her with sorrowful eyes, held out the letter, and said "Yes, and I am so so sorry for violating your privacy". "I just couldn't help myself. I was so scared you were sick! Please, please forgive me.!"


Audrey was overcome with emotion and began to cry. 


"Oh Ruthie, I am so sorry too. I so wanted to tell you all about this because we share everything. I just ... well I just couldn't burden you with my concern and if it was benign, I would have kept it secret, and everything would be normal". 


They cried and held each other for a long time. Finally, a smile crossed their faces and Ruthie said, "Hey, let's go get some ice cream. My treat!" 

August 26, 2023 03:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michał Przywara
20:35 Sep 20, 2023

That's an interesting - and pretty common - situation, isn't it? One friend doesn't want to worry the other needlessly, with a health scare, and the other is worried about such important information not being shared with them. Good intentions on both sides, but it leads to conflict all the same. But I think it's understandable for the person potentially faced with cancer. Even when it turns out well, like in this story, it's still a brush with mortality and can weigh on the mind.

Reply

Bob Long Jr
02:58 Sep 21, 2023

Appreciate the feedback Michal !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.