To Do:

Submitted into Contest #230 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list.... view prompt

6 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Christmas

December 1st (Age 10):


• Post my letter to Santa. I messed up one part and wanted to start again but Mum said it was fine - we don’t have time to do another one. I hope he doesn’t mind. 

• Write out cards for all my classmates. Mrs. Hamilton said she will let us use her special pens if we promise to put the lids back on. I always put the lid back on (did you hear that Santa?)

• Get a present for Maddie. Dad said he will help me if I haven’t got enough pocket money. I think she will like that sparkly bracelet I saw in the shops the other week. 

• Find a way to get rid of the Brussel Sprouts on my plate on Christmas Day (can’t use Arlo, he’s getting put in the spare room cos Auntie Mags is scared of dogs).

• Tidy room!!!

• Make sure I get on the good list. 




December 1st (Age 20):


• Go on second date with Brian. 

• Buy outfit for date (can’t decide between the black bodycon, or relaxed sweater dress - I wish he would tell me where we were going).

• Complete uni assignments before the holidays start, so I can fully relax. Only one more year before graduation!!

• Book driving test for February. Soon, no more relying on buses - woo!

• Send Mum and Arlo’s presents in the post (post office hours are 8am - 10am. Super convenient…)

• Get drinks in for the New Year’s Eve party. Becky and Rachel like Prosecco so that’s easy enough. Maddie says she’s not drinking - pfft, we’ll see how long that lasts. 




December 1st (Age 30):


• Buy nappies. Asda is selling them cheaper, but I’ve got coupons for Sainsbury’s. Brian says I should just use reusable ones but I couldn’t think of anything worse. It’s not like he’s doing the laundry. 

• Get formula on Thursday morning so we don’t miss the restock like last time. Find a way to convince the person behind the till to let me buy more than two packs per transaction - why is Henry so hungry all the time? Izzy was never like this. 

• Ring Mum on Sunday (don’t forget!!)

• Wrap presents when kids are at school/nursery. Find a GOOD hiding place for them this year - not in the back of the car. 

• Order matching outfits for the family photo shoot. Do not look at dress sizes. Remember Maddie’s mantra - “the number does not matter” (that’s easy for her to say, she’s still a size 6!)

• Prepare for interview on the 3rd. 

• Visit Brian’s parents on Boxing Day - need to get a gift. Also need to find a way to get his Mum to like me. Not that I care either way. But it would just make things easier. 




December 1st (Age 40):


• Buy Izzy’s festival tickets when they go on sale on the 15th. Set alarm for 6am. 

• Take Henry to Santa’s Grotto - must find the tickets. I’m sure they will be in the car somewhere…

• Book in for MOT. (I’m praying that it won’t hurt the savings too much). 

• Collect Christmas Dinner pre-order from Marks. Don’t let Brian see how much it was. 

• Google a nut roast recipe for Izzy’s new vegan phase. 

• Clear inbox before the 23rd. 

• Order extendable table and blow up mattress. Take the old mattress to the skip. Make sure Henry doesn’t use the new one as a trampoline!

• Drive down to pick up Mum on the 24th. Roadworks expected on M8 so remember to take the detour. 

• Clean house!!! 

• Clear the spare room out and get the carpets replaced before the tree is delivered. 




December 1st (Age 50):


• Call hospital to double-check appointment time. Ignore the rude receptionist - it’s not my fault I can’t understand when she talks too fast! 

• Get a sickline from the Doctor. Do not feel guilty; work will survive without you. 

• Drop Mum off every morning at 9:15 (park round the back - remember to bring change). Hospital food is crap so make sure you pack the food you prepared last night. 

• Izzy’s baby shower is on the 18th. Or should I say babies. Michael is pleased, if not a little shell shocked. Be patient with him, he’s still to become a man. Fatherhood will do him good. 

• Write cards to neighbours. Wrap a small bag of treats for Cookie at number 9. He reminds me so much of Arlo. 

• Ring the number Maddie gave me for marriage counselling. 




December 1st (Age 60):


• Pick up my prescription on the bus ride home. Also need to grab some of those lovely toffee sweets they sell at the counter. 

• Watch girls on the weekend of the 12th to give Izzy and Michael time to do their shopping. 

• See if that book has arrived at the library yet. Find out when they are doing the “Knit and Natter” sessions. 

• Get hair done on the 23rd so I’m ready for afternoon tea with the ladies. I’ll see if Henry can drop me off, if he’s not too busy. I must not feel hurt if he is. 

• Figure out why my phone isn’t working (don’t ask kids, they will just get annoyed.)

• Speak to Doctor about sore pelvis. No searching the symptoms on the internet, it will only scare me. 

• Visit Mum’s grave. 




December 1st (Age 70):


• Take pills every morning at 8. Remember - the red ones stop the pain but cause stomach cramps. The blue ones stop the cramps but cause insomnia. The green ones help with sleep but seem to always make me feel lethargic. Ask Doctor about this during the next check up. 

• Ring Izzy - if she can’t come again this year, then I’ll see if she can send some pictures of the twins in the post. I miss them so much. I can’t believe they are adults now…

• Place Christmas Lunch order. 

• Ask for a bath if Susan is working (she’s always so sweet, I wish all the carers were like her.)

• Hospital appointment on the 20th - time for a new hip, I think. 

• Be kinder to myself if I forget things. 

December 23, 2023 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Susy G
15:40 Dec 31, 2023

Loved the framing device of going through the decades! Very compelling to read.

Reply

Sachi Shah
16:10 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you for your kind words 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:23 Dec 31, 2023

Just a delightul read all around, lovely !

Reply

Sachi Shah
13:07 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paulette Lundy
16:53 Dec 30, 2023

Hi Sachi, I love this story. So great the way you actually told a chronological story using the list prompt. Delightful.

Reply

Sachi Shah
20:03 Dec 30, 2023

I’m so happy you like it :) I’ve never written a story in this way before so it was fun to give it a try

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.