22 comments

Fiction Suspense

This story contains sensitive content

Warning: Contains scenes of death.


It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. John continued shoveling hardened earth into the unmarked grave. The silence surrounding him accentuated the sickening sounds of the task at hand. This was his least favorite part of it all. There was always such finality attached to the burying of a body.


***


Jonathan Tearse had taken over the family trade with his father’s passing. Tearse Ranch of Evergreen Valley. He had always loved the small mountain town where he was raised, but wished he could have returned on his own, better terms. Alexander was newly married and his wife did not want to leave the city they had just begun to settle in. Darcy had offered to come help when she could, mostly on breaks from school, but she had been the first to go to college and their father was so proud. It would not be right for her to drop out so close to graduating. So, the responsibility fell to the eldest sibling, as it should some would say. The current job market had not been kind to John anyway. Trying to find good work, or even start a career, usually required a degree or years of prior experience. Ranching and some customer service were John’s experience and it did not always translate well.


Mama Tearse had passed a few years prior. It was the middle of winter and she had been in the barn milking cows. The story is, a strong gust of wind rattled the barn doors and spooked the animals. Ma had been sitting on a wooden stool when the cow she was milking crushed her in the chaos. Pa did not find her for a few hours because he had been working on repairs in the house basement and could not hear her screaming for help. Eventually, the coroner told them the cause of death was internal bleeding. Their father was not the same after and the siblings firmly believe he died of a broken heart. Hard living and bourbon surely played a part too.


Esmay had agreed to come with John to help around the ranch. She was asleep on the couch next to him, lightly snoring. Coals glowed in the fireplace and John had his feet propped on the hearth. He leaned over to toss another log in and stoked the fire back to life. Outside there was not much to be heard but the occasional sound of howling wind through the pines or the moon calls of a scattered wolf pack. Tonight, however, it was Esmay’s snoring and the crackle of fire finding pockets in the wood. John decided he too would sleep here in the living room amid the warmth and pervading peace.


They both woke at first light and shared breakfast. Esmay finished first, then went to go walk the livestock. Winter was not ideal to put them to pasture with most the ground being frozen or covered in snow, but it was not good penning them up until spring either. 


As John cleaned up the kitchen and living room, folding blankets as he went, he kept noticing stray hairs sprinkled everywhere. A good bit shook out of the blanket where Esmay slept on the couch. Perhaps, this rough winter was beginning to wear on her too. He hoped she had not come to regret joining him. There were times when he wanted to give up himself, but she was there to help and he relied on the company she gave him. Otherwise, John may have become a very dull boy.


Fresh snow was falling as John walked to the barn to clean the currently unoccupied stalls. He took notice once again the additional layer of silence fresh snow brings. It was almost like a muffling of background noise. No birds chirping, or leaves crunching underfoot. A void of sound which felt like a different noise all its own, though it was subtle with an eerie tone. John opened the barn door and broke the deafening silence. He grabbed his father’s old shovel and pitchfork, then got to work.


Papa Tearse had never been able to bring himself to clean up the stall Ma died in. He had the cow slaughtered and sold for parts, but otherwise it looked the same as it was left. Straw was everywhere, some still caked in dried blood. The wooden stool was mightily splintered and pieces lay randomly about the stall. John had not been able to face the task either and he still was not ready today. Instead, he began on the opposite side of the barn to avoid the area as long as he could.


John was filling the last of the troughs with alfalfa when he heard some rather intense growling outside and froze. Suddenly, there was what sounded like screams and John’s heart began to pound all the quicker. He ran for the door hoping it was one of the sheep instead of Esmay. Sheep tend to make a horrible sound when being attacked, almost human like.


When he rounded the corner of the barn, there was once again silence, even more deafening now. John saw what looked like a wolf dragging a sheep away towards the forest surrounding their ranch. As he approached the scene of the crime, crimson stained the snow and steam rose towards the sky. He found Esmay lying there with minimal, labored breathing. Her legs were torn up and face mutilated. John knelt down and wept beside her. He cradled her head in his lap and did his best to soothe her as she sighed her final breaths.


Losing livestock to the elements, or even wild animals, was nothing new. It was all part of being a rancher, especially in a secluded area. To lose his companion Esmay was very different though and almost broke John completely. He called his siblings to update them on what happened and they were able to talk him off the ledge. They all agreed to finally sell the ranch as they should have done in the first place.


Even though it was still the middle of winter, John took the liberty of giving Esmay a proper burial, as Pa had given Ma and how Pa himself was buried. It is said, “Death comes in threes.” John could not wait to leave this graveyard behind and he hoped come springtime he would find a red fern growing where she lay.

March 16, 2023 05:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Aidan Romo
23:04 Jan 15, 2024

Beautiful title and an equally beautifully horrific story. Every bit of tragedy in the story builds on to itself perfectly, leading to a bittersweet ending with a twinge of hope. Showing that no matter how dire the world seems to be around us, hope can carry us through the worst of it. Tremendous work here.

Reply

J. D. Lair
02:51 Jan 17, 2024

Much appreciated as always Aidan. The prompt started the flow and it just went from there haha. Did some early experimentation with this one and am grateful for lessons learned. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy May
03:59 Apr 11, 2023

Wow great descriptions of the ranch, I felt I was there experiencing John's sorrow. I liked the fact that Esmay turned out to be his dog it was very creative. I grew up on a farm myself and lost many beloved pets but not to Wolves mainly to venomous snakes as I live in Australia. The haunting feelings I felt as I read about the empty barn after Mamma Tearse died in there. I too have experienced the void left behind as my brother took his own life in a horses stable. I remember standing in the barn and sadly seeing the half cut rope the polic...

Reply

J. D. Lair
21:13 Apr 11, 2023

Oh man! I’m so sorry you went through that. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
15:17 Mar 26, 2023

As a Yellowstone fan, I loved the imagery of ranch life. Was Esmay a dog? Clever way you hid her identity throughout, if that's true.

Reply

J. D. Lair
17:00 Mar 26, 2023

Thank you! Yes, Esmay was a dog. Glad you caught on. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
00:22 Mar 23, 2023

Hi JD - I liked your sense of setting and place in this piece. You added a lot of depth for a short story, and made the place very tangible. I liked the rising escalation and tension with the wolf as well, and the hope for rebirth\fern at the end … nice! R

Reply

J. D. Lair
17:59 Mar 23, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind comments R! It’s nice to hear my efforts are worth it and recognized. :)

Reply

Russell Mickler
18:09 Mar 23, 2023

You know, JD, a little personal philosophy here ... don't ever - ever - wait for validation from anybody - here on Reedsy or otherwise. Do good work. Always read others, study, and hone your craft. Always be writing :) R

Reply

J. D. Lair
02:31 Mar 24, 2023

Thanks for the wise advice R. :) So far, I’ve stuck to the philosophy well, but it can be easy to get caught up in wanting the external validation from time to time. Thank you for the reminder it’s about writing, enjoying the process, and getting better as I go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Brothers
16:52 Mar 22, 2023

Very atmospheric! I can picture it all very clearly. I very much enjoyed the tactile details. I could sense the cold wind, feel the heat of the fire, smell the barn. I was confused about Esmay, as well, and thought she was a woman, too. I've read the comments here and see my mistake.

Reply

J. D. Lair
19:55 Mar 22, 2023

Thank you for reading and for the compliments. :) I did take a gamble on keeping the reader in the dark, and it may have been a losing one this time lol. Oh well! My apologies for the confusion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
03:12 Mar 20, 2023

Great earthy tale of life on the land and hopefully off the grid. Keep punching those keys, J.D.

Reply

J. D. Lair
04:44 Mar 20, 2023

Thank you Mike! There’s always a part of me longing for simpler times tucked away in rural mountains somewhere. Partly why I love camping so much. Don’t worry, I’ll keep typing away my friend. Loved your story too and looking forward to reading more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
MJ Simons
03:57 Mar 17, 2023

This is a good read. I'm curious to know what happened to Esmay. I'm assuming she was also attacked by the wolf? It says, "John saw what looked like a wolf dragging a sheep away towards the forest surrounding their ranch." It was unclear to me if Esmay somehow interfered, the wolf attacked her and then dragged a sheep. The description of the ranch, the grief, and the description of the cow crushing Mama Tearse were good. I recently learned that cows kill more people annually than sharks do. Who would have thought? I enjoyed your story.

Reply

J. D. Lair
05:53 Mar 17, 2023

Thank you for the feedback MJ. :) I took a bit of a risk trying to keep Esmay’s identity hidden for most of the story. With how I started it out, John could be taken as a killer. Esmay is supposed to be assumed human for most the story with the thought John isn’t what he seems, but it’s actually turned into a story of grief. Esmay is actually his dog (hence the ‘hair’ around the house and the growling John hears outside - Esmay trying to guard the livestock.) The wolf had to eliminate the threat of Esmay to take a sheep, so I left that to t...

Reply

MJ Simons
06:45 Mar 17, 2023

Thank you for explaining. When you mentioned hair around the house, I thought maybe an animal, but then you mentioned, "Otherwise, John may have become a very dull boy," and my mind went to the expression, 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' and thought maybe it was a woman. I feel silly now that I didn't grasp the hints and follow my first instinct. I like the title, by the way. Nicely done!

Reply

J. D. Lair
16:09 Mar 17, 2023

No need to feel silly. I may have needed to make the connections a bit more clear. I originally had a line about Esmay helping John keep cabin fever at bay, but since this was a ‘remix’ of stories I threw in the line from The Shining to send the message instead. The line at the end of the story is also a throwback to an old book/movie which was supposed to inform the reader Esmay was a dog if they hadn’t connected the dots before then since in the Red Fern story it’s about 2 dogs that had died and been buried next to each other. My wife ...

Reply

MJ Simons
00:22 Mar 18, 2023

I see. I am unfamiliar with the Red Fern story, but I saw The Shining many years ago. That is a very clever use of the prompt. I also chose this prompt. Since it starts with the beginning sentences from Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl, I wrote a remastered version of that story. I wasn't familiar with the story, so I read it, and it's depressing and somber. I stuck to the foundation but changed a few things. If you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think.

Reply

J. D. Lair
00:32 Mar 18, 2023

Thank you! I’d never read the story, but recognized the author. I just started with the line and wrote what came to mind lol. I will definitely give your story a go soon and leave some feedback. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jolene Lair
16:29 Mar 16, 2023

What a spell binding tale. Intriguing from the first sentence to the very last. Loved the “Where the red fern grows” reference.

Reply

J. D. Lair
17:17 Mar 16, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.