0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

In a cozy, affordable apartment in the city of Richborough, located in the orderly country of Canada, a family eagerly awaits the delivery of their dinner. Specifically, they're anticipating two pizzas and a delightful dessert of brownies. The Edwards family is facing tough times. Callahan Edwards, the father, lost his job several months ago. Kelly Romane Edwards, the mother, is putting in a lot of effort at her office job. She's starting to feel frustrated because despite Callahan's efforts, he hasn't been able to find a new job. The family sat together, as they did every night.

With a drink in hand, Amon Edwards, the eldest and only son of the Edwards family, complained about his middle sibling Kayleen Edwards for not being home during this challenging period. "She only comes home when she needs something, Cally!"

Cally Edwards, a senior at Homewood Secondary School, listened to her brother's complaints. However, she was somewhat distant, having smoked cannabis half an hour earlier. Her attention shifted to the door, visible from the dining room table in the kitchen.

"Amon, that's sufficient venting. I understand you miss her, but she can't be home if she's looking to broaden her horizons...just like you did a few years ago," Callahan said, sorting through the mail absentmindedly.

"We all need to discover ourselves in the world, sweetie," Kelly added with a smile. "Even your sister."

"Kayleen knows we need help now, with the finances, with Grandma. She's staying away to avoid responsibility," Amon asserted, emphasizing his point with hand motions. Cally, now lost in thought and staring at the fridge, began to hum to herself. "And to think, when she went through her depression, we were all there...even Grandma."

"Well, what do you want? For Kayleen to never see the world or for her to become who she will become?" Callahan asked, posing an open-ended question that seemed to have only one answer.

"Yes, of course I do, but what about us? How about Cally?" Amon questioned. "Do we not matter as much as she does? We never get to get away or to throw our days away in different countries. How could we with Grandma dying!"

The room fell silent, except for the rough humming coming from Cally. Her eyes were red, and her soul seemed distracted from the negativity building within their home. The father looked at his son with disappointed eyes before breaking into a smile. "It would be wise if you knew how to control your anger. Just saying."

Amon opened his mouth to respond but instead stood up, his anger intensifying. He clenched his fists before leaving the room. "She's selfish! Always has been!" he yelled out as he departed.

"Foolish boy," Kelly said, sighing as she resigned herself to being the mother of three confused and sometimes angry children. She would stay up at night, waiting for the Lord to provide guidance, but the Lord never seemed to answer her. A pervasive feeling of uncertainty plagued her mind. “Maybe I can call Kayleen. To see if she will come home.”

"She's in Japan, remember?" Callahan pointed out. "Last week it was Seoul. Now she's in Tokyo."

"I want sushi," Cally said to her parents absentmindedly. Her parents sighed in response, leaving the room in an awkward silence.

Down the hall in Amon's bedroom, he sits alone, fervently writing down his daily journal. Each stroke of his pen is fierce and full of frustration. As he shakes his hand after putting his thoughts on paper, his eyes catch a picture of Kayleen and him. "Maybe I'm too hard on you, sis," he finally said, looking down in thought and noticing an old wrapper underneath the desk. “Huh, Whoppers. Cally’s favorite.”

Suspicious, he opens his desktop to check if it matches his expectations. She had been on his computer to play video games, but he notices that she also went into his private folder—the one containing personal information. "Why would she go in there?" he wonders aloud.

Taking a stand, he walks over to his single bed—the same one he has had since he was twelve. Flopping down onto the firm mattress, dust mites fly, or at least that's what Amon is thinking about. He often contemplates the little life forms that coexist within and around him. "Don't think about that right now…" He can feel the anxiety gnawing at his throat and the bubbling annoyance at it all surfacing from within. Just as his eyes close, he hears the doorbell ring, reminding him that dinner is yet to be eaten; the pizza has arrived.

The family gathers around the table, the two pepperoni pizzas steaming and emitting a delicious aroma. Cally, still lost in her thoughts, grabs five slices and slaps them onto her ceramic plate. Snorting in amusement, she devours the first slice.

"So, I've got something to tell you," Callahan mentioned, fixing his glasses before picking up a piece of pizza. Kelly seemed both surprised and pleased, turning her head to focus on him. "Is it good news?" she inquired, a hint of optimism in her eyes. Instead of returning a smile, he appeared as though what he was about to say wouldn't be uplifting.

"Not good news. I wasn't sure when to break it to the family, but your grandma has dementia."

For the second time that night, the room went quiet.

"I understand it's not the news any of us were hoping for, but I found out when I took Mom to the doctor yesterday," the father shared, closing his eyes to manage the sorrow welling up inside. "We were aware that her health was declining, and since dementia is prevalent in our family, it was expected that one of your grandparents would be affected. If Grandpa were still here, he likely would have faced it too."

Cally had halted her chewing, speaking with a mouthful, "I'm sorry, Dad. I'm sorry, guys..." After swallowing her food, she fell into thoughtful silence. Kelly gripped her husband's hand, giving him a reassuring look and a sad smile. Amon sat quietly, his hunger now subdued, anxiety gnawing at him. "Don't break," he thought. "No anger. No depression."

"Life is about to shift gears. Everything we're accustomed to will undergo a transformation. Mom will take center stage as our main focus, aside from the regular demands of work and school," Callahan clarified. "Her condition will deteriorate, and unfortunately, there's no cure. We can only resort to treatments and adjustments in lifestyle to ease her decline gradually and peacefully. It's... well... sad. I won't paint a rosy picture for you guys. She'll become someone we won't recognize."

Kelly tightened her grip on his hand, her skin turning white. "We'll support her. She'll find peace."

Amon sensed a sadness rising within, his eyes starting to burn. "Does Kayleen know about Grandma?" he inquired, attempting to fend off the tears he could feel building up. "Why does life have to be so painful?" he pondered in his thoughts. "It's an incessant onslaught."

"She knows. I called her earlier today," Callahan clarified. "How about we simply relish this pizza night and let the rest unfold on its own? We'll handle it one day at a time. Step by step. Okay?" He glanced around the table, seeking confirmation.

As the pizza disappeared, emotions continued to swirl in their minds. Following the father's advice, they embraced the idea of facing this new challenge one day at a time. As the night unfolded, Cally's initial high subdued, and a more somber atmosphere settled in. Despite the heavy news, the family discovered comfort in each other's company, sharing laughter and relishing dessert.

Amon recognized the refuge within the walls of their apartment, at least for the present. He understood that change was inevitable, as it always had been. Yet, in that moment, surrounded by the warmth of family, they found strength and solace, ready to confront whatever changes lay ahead.

December 15, 2023 04:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.