34 comments

Fiction

Trains can be romantic, but not when the tit across from you is eating an egg sandwich. It’s part of an unwritten set of rules, you don’t talk, you don’t move, you certainly don’t bring fish or egg onboard for crying out loud. It’s like a church you know, if you wouldn’t do it in the Vatican you shouldn’t do it on a train. Think of it like a big metal confessional, trundling along the tracks of conformity to keep us all in our place.


You know on average carriages have 66 seats? That’s 66 individuals who always seem to represent the careful microcosm of our fair society. It’s like a terrarium of balance; everyone needs to get from A to B. Whether you’re a laptop wielding briefcase wanker or a teenager trying to tiktok in a space no bigger than a shoebox, they’re all packed together, all exist in the same time space continuum, where all ideas have to conform for the sake of everyone’s sanity. 


On this specific Tuesday evening, somewhere between Manchester and Stoke-on-Trent, my microcosm was filled with it’s usual end-of-day tension. After all, it is a universally known fact that Tuesdays are the worst day of the week, on account of it not being the beginning, middle or even close to the universally desired weekend. It is a nothing day where all bad things congregate and no one can prove otherwise.


I’d managed to bag a table seat with no one to sidle up next to me, the recognised gold standard of commuting. Nevertheless, the Tuesday curse took it’s hold as i soon realised my golden seat irrevocably backed onto the train anomaly. The cell in the microcosm that the organism needed to flush out, the unwanted, the painful, the aptly coined train nutter.


Now, for those of you who don’t know this universal fact, it is widely acknowledged that every train has a nutter riding inside it. Someone who is just a bit strange, someone who is purposely put in the matrix to make others feels queasy, itchy, make them feel off kilter, make you constantly feel on the edge of wanting to say something but never quite knowing if you should because in theory they are being harmless, just bloody annoying.


This was my guy, parked two feet behind in an anorak, full of a very specific type of weird that involved a great deal of swearing. Now, I like swearing, it’s characterful, so actually this guy was a strangely comical character as he fucked and pissed and twatted his way along with the rest of us as we trundled across the darkening British countryside.


As his first motherfucker carried musically across the quiet carriage like an out of tune piano, I couldn’t help but smile. I admired his inability to care. Of course, this man may have been swearing for any number of reasons but why should we deny him? Fairly quickly you could see the tension rising within the carriage. With every word it climbed, like heat off a Tenerife pavement, rapid and uncomfortable as it burnt its way through the train.


We were all part of this unspoken notion; everyone thinking the same thing that no one would actually say out loud, our universal evolutionary instincts kicking in to essentially segregate this unusual man. We needed him out, we needed to make sure he wouldn’t fraternise with our first-class females and pass along his weird sweary genes.


Why did we do this? Why did we feel the need to ostracise people, to fear the different. The train was like a pack of wolves and this man was, without knowing it, being cast out of the herd. The ultimate evolutionary shun, and he didn’t even realise.


We were cruel.


I’d seen it over and over again but never really thought about it enough to give it a name. Like that lady from last week. I heard her before I saw her, my first instincts as I watched the rush hour traffic outside Victoria station was that someone was being murdered, but literally no one seemed to give a shit. She then emerged from around the corner of a Pret A Manger, a tiny dot of a woman, dressed head to toe in what can only be described as fluff. Boots with the fur, topped with a wide brimmed bucket hat turned up at the front all made from fluff. In fact, I’m pretty sure she was wearing slippers and in hindsight I hoped she was, I was annoyed I wasn’t wearing slippers just thinking about it.


She walked purposely up to the edge of the road, pointing and engaging with the traffic rolling round the side of the train station and every few seconds she would let out a fairly high-pitched scream. Now, it wasn’t a scared scream, it was more like something you’d hear on a David Attenborough program, almost like a bird, like she was proudly announcing herself to the awakening commuters rushing about their day.


The more she chirped, the more people ignored her. I wondered whether that was one of the reasons she did it, like a litmus test to just see what people would do, would they even care? The more she screamed the more people ignored her; a fluffy bird scared of going extinct.


We were bad people.


I couldn’t let these people go extinct, be ostracised for not being exactly what society wanted them to be. I was sick of it.


So, I let out a scream.


A really short and sharp one, the way someone would expel air when they’re annoyed except I let a proper noise get released. No one turned around, no one looked at me, not even the egg man opposite me looked up, the sweary man behind even stopped.


It felt good.


Life was shit. The concept of going back to work tomorrow and living for the miniscule pleasure of a Saturday without the kids just wasn’t cutting it. There had to be more than this. The scream wasn’t just an experiment it was a cry out into the abyss.


I let out another scream.


Louder this time, just to test the water in the tin can microcosm, just to see what people would do, just for my pain to be heard. No one replied. The sound reverberated around the silence of the train, cutting through the 66 seats and quickly being replaced by this foul weight, like when you accidently stand in dog poo and the smell lingers even when you clean your shoes with military precision. The turd is always there.


I’d gone from an upstanding member of the train population to one of the outcasts, one of the ones who wouldn’t be allowed to mate with the good looking gene pool in case my screaming spread.


The train quietly pulled into Stoke station and as people shuffled on and off the carriage seemed to reset slightly, my screaming semi forgotten. The guy with the egg sandwich caught my eye sheepishly and I smiled.


‘You should try it you know, it’s quite liberating’


He smiled back, the kind of smile that is meant to pacify a lunatic.


‘Just give it a go, just shout TITS as loud as you can, you’ll feel better’


‘You’re mad,’ he said, ‘you just can’t do stuff like that’


‘Why not?’


‘Well it’s just not the done thing’


‘It might not be, but if it gives you something to laugh about, something to go home and talk to the wife about, something to release the monotony of how shit life truly can be, surely it’s worth a go?’ We both paused.


‘I can’t say it’


‘Go on’


‘I can’t say it’


‘Just do it’


‘I can’t say it’


‘Just do it’


'I really can't...'


‘Just do it..'


Then out of nowhere, the egg man raised his head to the heavens and let out a triumphant TITS as loud as I think his voice could naturally reach.


I looked at him with appreciation and gave him a nod of respect. He smiled back at me, an acknowledgement that it did in fact feel pretty good. The sweary man behind laughed.


A kid in the back of the carriage then joined in and the whole carriage diffused, the tension slowly releasing as we all universally acknowledged how funny tits really are. From church to comedy club; it felt good.


My mind cast back to the fluffy bird lady. Did she have anyone to scream with her, to let her know she wasn’t alone in the world? I hoped so.


The train continued along it’s dark track. The sweary man behind me only said the word tits for the remainder of the way home. His recognition that he had been heard, and was not alone. 

February 21, 2024 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Helen A Smith
10:18 Feb 25, 2024

Hi Claire, I enjoyed your story and can strongly relate to it as I’m a commuter and have been for more years than I care to remember. It’s true how people try to pretend something is not happening when it’s seen as socially unacceptable. Many times I’ve wanted to scream on or off the train, but haven’t yet done so. However, I have laughed aloud at some of the Reedsy stories which I read on my journey and not cared what anyone thought. (Not much anyway). There was a man on the train who produced a mug and proceeded to thoroughly clean his te...

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:30 Feb 26, 2024

It’s so weird, I commute a lot too and still struggle not to ignore the weird and wonderful things you see on public transport, although I am now curious what people would do if I brushed my teeth on the train! You’ve planted the seed now ha! Thanks so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
23:43 Feb 21, 2024

You're quite the wordsmith. Somehow, you make cursing seem refined and elegant. This was a very entertaining story - lots of laughs. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:43 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks Ty! Swearing is part of northern British culture so love that I’ve maybe been able to make it somehow elevated! Been a bit of a weird week so the story reflects! Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
04:53 Feb 25, 2024

You really captured the train experience -- and then some! This was funny and smart and gave the reader a vivid picture of the characters on this trip. Great job!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:31 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks Karen! Bit of a strange little ride for this weeks prompt but glad it worked! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D H
16:45 Mar 29, 2024

This story made me laugh, Claire is a pro at writing. Love your work, keep it up!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
19:27 Mar 29, 2024

Thanks so much! This definitely has been a favourite of mine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Farai Gotora
04:16 Mar 02, 2024

he smiled back, the kind of smile meant to pacify a lunatic - That line is hilarious because I know and have smiled that exact smile at times!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
09:02 Mar 02, 2024

Ha I’m glad it made you smile! It’s one I give to my husband more regularly than I care to admit every time he wants to buy more stuff for his bike 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Newcombe
21:23 Feb 28, 2024

This seems to cleverly identify how idiosyncratic behaviour is often symptomatic of a universal desire for release from the drudgery of life. Very thought provoking. I will never look at a train journey in the same way again.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:07 Mar 01, 2024

Thanks so much David, I think as writers we can only ever hope to provoke some interesting thought so really appreciate your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aaron Bowen
18:32 Feb 27, 2024

The inescapable, invisible pressure of the social contract. Slinging it off in a moment of liberating, defiant self-actualization is one of those story moments that I love, particularly because they point out something simultaneously true and deeply difficult to achieve. "This is stupid," you realize, and then act in defiance of that stupidity. Nicely done.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:09 Mar 01, 2024

Aaron, got to be one of the mos eloquent comments I’ve read in a long time, glad my story was deserving of such analysis! Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:52 Feb 27, 2024

I want to shout something inappropriate in the comment section, this story was so much fun! Great writing too, felt like i was reading a David Mitchell essay in The Guardian. "something to release the monotony of how shit life truly can be" haha. Maybe deep down, why we're so repulsed by those maniacs screaming in street, is we know there's a tiny chance they are right!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:11 Mar 01, 2024

Exactly, we cross the street because we’re unsure of the unusual, but in reality we wish we had their inability to care what is usual or unusual. I’ll take the David Mitchell comment all day every day! Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
12:46 Feb 27, 2024

A fun take on the prompt, like participant observation of the microcosm of the "train" world. I also commute by train, and I hate it when people start talking on the silent wagon, in which case often there is one passenger who stands up and shows the sign and they always have my silent thanks. Smelling egg on the train, oh the horror in such closed space. Train travel sometimes can be seen as full of adventure and observatory of human social behavior. Enjoyable story to read, very nicely done :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jenefer Igarashi
23:00 Feb 25, 2024

Ok... this is solidly brilliant. Found myself laughing out loud in more than one section. I like the way your brain works.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:32 Feb 26, 2024

It works in weird ways, so glad it’s found a like minded brain haha! It’s why reedsy is so great, brings out the weird and wonderful! Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peyton Fleek
19:27 Feb 25, 2024

So accurate, love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kerriann Murray
00:02 Feb 25, 2024

This was so interesting and fun to read! I loved the train universality thing, because there is always a nutter and you should NEVER eat an egg sandwich. Or tuna! Great read, Claire!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:12 Mar 01, 2024

Yes or tuna!! I watched a girl today film a whole tiktok live on a train, was actually wildly impressive! Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:32 Feb 24, 2024

I swear I could smell the first paragraph. Loved the funny, conversational tone throughout mixed with the bitter reflection on how society treats people who are “different.” And the ending where everyone boards the crazy train together (so to speak) was perfect. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
00:01 Feb 23, 2024

Long live diversity! Great story. And so true. All you need is one "TITS" and someone on the other end laughing and we're family.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:37 Feb 23, 2024

All agreed! Tits or bogies, both games are superior! Doesn’t matter how serious you are, you can’t not laugh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.R. Simon
15:54 Feb 22, 2024

I really liked your story, very pleasant to read !!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:35 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:00 Feb 22, 2024

It was a fun read - but I was so glad I wasn't on the train with you all. When there is one nutter on the train (or bus) they invariably make their way towards me. That bloody woman in Victoria - honestly I felt I knew her. It was a good story, well crafted and well-told. Thanks so much for writing and sharing.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:35 Feb 23, 2024

That woman in Victoria was actually real to be fair, I was also sat close to a guy on the tube tonight who kept honking… so maybe I’m the magnet?! Thanks so much for the comment and the support!

Reply

Stevie Burges
23:56 Feb 23, 2024

Ah I felt I recognised her. As an ex-Pimlico resident, you are describing my stomping ground. I felt it in my bones that I had seen her (although all the way from Thailand - I clearly hadn't. Looking forward to your next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:29 Feb 22, 2024

Afraid you may have started a fad. Such a rebel! Thanks for liking my 'Hammer Down '.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:34 Feb 23, 2024

You should give it a go Mary, feels good to rebel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
23:27 Feb 21, 2024

Trains can be romantic, but not when the tit across from you is eating an egg sandwich. - and with this, I was hooked. This was so wonderful, Claire. What a fun read. The tone was so fresh and hilarious. Great use of sensory details too. I could almost smell the egg sandwich (Perhaps, I've smelled one too many cheap burger in a bus, my country's equivalent.). Hahahaha ! As usual, a very creative, amazing piece. Brilliant job !

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:33 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks Stella! Since I wrote this all the trains I’ve been on for work have been grim, maybe it’s karma 😂 you’re lucky, I’d take a burger over egg! Thanks so much for the continued support ♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.