1 comment

Friendship Happy Sad

Written by Maynard Maxwell—the credits of three record-breaking shows were quite familiar with these words. Millions of people had seen what a British scriptwriter living in California can do. Maynard himself had been doing fine with his wits and talent alone. He had a huge, two-story apartment; a smashing view; and a glossy BMW parked in his own parking spot. He, of course, had friends, but his hours of vacancy belonged to family time.

Speaking of family, one of them just walked out of the shower with a towel over her chest.

“Good morning, sweetie,” Allison said, smiling and drying her mocha brown hair with another towel. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“You won’t get to hear much when you sing your heart out in the shower,” Maynard said, squeezing out some minty paste onto his toothbrush. “Beautiful voice as ever, honey.”

“Oh, good,” Allison replied. “I almost thought a compliment was far from near.”

Maynard started brushing away, making his voice sound as if leftover food were on his tongue. “I just love surprising you every day.”

“I’m sure you do, sweetie. I’m gonna go get dressed. Brush like crazy, okay. That slice of broccoli has overstayed its welcome.” Allison chuckled a bit.

He laughed as well, then said, “Harsh.”

Allison was careful enough not to leave a wet trail when she walked out.

Down by the dining table, Maynard found a young auburn-haired girl who had the color of his eyes; she was cutting up some pancakes on her plate.

“Morning, Anya,” Maynard said, then kissed the girl on the head.

“Oh, hey, Dad,” Anya replied.

“Ready for school?” he asked.

“Almost there,” she said. “The pancakes are a bit hard to chew.”

“I heard that,” said Allison, walking down the stairs all dressed up. “You’re welcome, by the way.”

“Thanks, mom,” Anya said in a not-so-heartwarming way, but she did giggle right after.

“What time should you come from work, honey?” Maynard asked.

“Well, Grant is having his retirement party today at the bank, so around eight o’clock most probably. I’ll be knackered by then.”

“Aw, that’s fine,” said Maynard. “I’ve got this bloody episode I need to finish at the café today. I might be free before five in the afternoon. I’m guessing me and Anya could get some milkshakes at the Lazy Fry till you get back.”

“Dad, please, I’m not six anymore,” Anya said.

“You’re not sixteen either, baby girl,” Maynard replied, stirring his coffee. “Come on, I’m telling you, you’re gonna bloody love it for sure. You need more of what Cali has to offer, missy.”

“Oh, fine. But I’ll be ordering the curly fries I keep hearing about, all right?”

“Of course. Let’s share it.”

“Ugh! So cheesy.”

Maynard just laughed in reply.

“Well, I gotta run,” Allison said. “You two have fun.”

An exchange of farewells came around. Maynard gave her a smooch on the lips while Anya just waved at her from the distance. When both of them finished the satisfying breakfast, Anya rushed upstairs to get ready for school. Maynard popped all the dishes into the dishwasher. Somehow, Anya’s plate was already clean before it went in—Maynard did not notice.

He did, however, notice a four-foot-tall cabinet beside his stylish floor lamp. Its doors were sealed under lock and chain, and he wondered if it had always been that way.

The hours swept past Maynard in the café. He had finished the much-awaited script earlier than expected, then headed over to the Lazy Fry diner to meet up with Anya. When he saw her enter the glass door, he immediately ordered two milkshakes from the waiter.

“Hi, darling,” Maynard said. “How was school today?”

“Same old friends so far,” she replied, sitting down on one of the bench-like chairs facing her dad. “But they’re cool. They really fancy my accent, though. I guess everyone does. Still, I seem to annoy a few whenever they get a hint of it.”

Laughs and stories ran back and forth between them, and people couldn’t help but stare. As two glasses of milkshakes landed on their table, the waiter couldn’t stop himself from flashing a weird look at Maynard.

“What’s up with him?” Anya asked.

“It’s my accent, darling,” Maynard replied. “If yours is cute. I’ve got a horrible one. You’re in the big world now, missy. Sometimes, ugh, I wish to go back to London. Things were a bit easier back there.”

“I’ll drink to that,” Anya said, raising her milkshake glass. “Still, I’d hate not to give this place a chance.”

Their glasses clinked without the word “cheers.”

The diner’s door welcomed in a new customer—a boy with thick red hair. Looking like a ten-year-old kid, he slowly walked to Maynard’s table with his eyes on their milkshakes.

“Hi, mister,” the boy said, shy to the bone. “I, uh, I noticed two milkshakes on your table. I was wondering if you were gonna drink the other one. A few kids from my school took my lunch money. I’m just too hungry to make it home on foot.”

“Aw, dear boy... Sorry to hear that,” said Maynard. “I’ll buy you one. That’s actually my daughter’s milkshake you’re pointing at.”

“Oh, okay. Where is she?” the boy asked.

“Silly. She’s right over there.” He pointed to the opposite bench.

“Hey, I do that too,” the boy replied. “Cool!”

“What?” Maynard asked.

The red-haired boy sat himself down beside Anya. “What color is her hair? Is she cute?”

Anya shrugged and gave her dad a confused look.

“Um, can’t you tell by looking at her?” Maynard asked.

The boy leaned closer and whispered, “I’m too shy to look.”

Maynard smiled and entertained the boy to the best of his abilities. He later shook hands with Anya. Maynard thought it looked cute. With another round of milkshakes and a full plate of clubhouse sandwiches on the table, the three of them talked until dinnertime was within reach. Maynard wanted to pat himself on the back, knowing that he was able to get along with the conversation of two youngsters.

“Well, I better get back to my mom,” the boy said. “She must be worried sick by now. Thank you for the milkshakes, mister.”

“You’re welcome, Colby,” Maynard replied. “It was a delight meeting you.”

“You too, Mr. Maxwell. And you too, Anya. Bye!” Colby walked out the door, smiling from ear to ear.

Anya’s cheerful eyes followed him.

Not willing to eat another bite, both Anya and Maynard simply watched a movie back at the apartment. Allison later came home and immediately spotted a scene from one of her favorite movies. After kissing both her husband and daughter, she sat herself down on the sofa and glued her eyes on the TV screen. All three of them started wiping their tears when the credits faded in. Maynard tried to be a little more subtle.

It was a school night, so Maynard escorted Anya back to her books after the movie. Allison scolded him with a gentle tongue for prioritizing entertainment over their daughter’s homework. They kissed and made up before bedtime. Anya had filled every blank on her assignment and went to bed with a clear conscience. The apartment sure was comfortable, especially the bedrooms. But having a loving home was more than enough for the talented writer; he went to sleep, holding on to that thought.

The next day flowed like clockwork. Not much of the unexpected popped up. Deep into the evening, a lovely family dinner was burning precious seconds at the apartment. All three of them were present along with smiles and tasteful food. Anya kept checking her phone; Maynard told her to put it away. She apologized and obeyed. The writer in the family ate while facing the living room. The four-foot-tall cabinet in chains later caught his attention and sustained it. Then Maynard heard a whisper.

“Let us go....” It sounded like Allison’s voice.

He turned to his wife. “Sorry, what was that, honey?”

“I said, ‘Did you know that Austin’s Watches is now on sale.’” Allison replied. “I could definitely use one of their rose gold watches for formal events at the office.”

Maynard nodded and smiled. Anya then opened up about a slumber party this coming Friday night. Her dad asked the address of the sleepover and expressed how proud he was that she had been making friends.

The usual routines sped up the hours of the next day, but the evening slowed things down. Back at the apartment, Maynard shuffled through all the pages he had just written. The apartment buzzer beside his main door sounded.

“Mr. Maxwell, we have a Ms. Paula Stone looking for you,” one of the guards said. “Well, she didn’t have to say her name. My goodness... I knew who she was right away! Should I send her right up?”

It had been forever since any of the actors on any of his scripts last came to visit him. He was surprised and grateful that it was Paula, the Miss Congeniality of the set.

“Of course, Julio,” he replied, holding the button. “Send her right up. Thank you.”

A gorgeous blonde who didn’t look her age later entered his apartment. They hugged after an enthusiastic greeting.

“I brought you a milkshake from that Lazy Fry diner,” she said, her voice fanning out a luxurious sound. “It’s the closest one here.”

“Whoa, I appreciate it,” Maynard said. Then he invited her to sit down. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Glad you asked, Max,” she replied. “I’m here to discuss my part for this coming episode and ask you to clarify something on the script. Things have gone a bit complex.”

He was more than happy to give her a hand. After spilling all his pointers, they started a quick catch-up session. Like most celebrities he knew, Paula seemed to be living the dream and never once looked at any price tag.

When it was Maynard’s turn, the actress’s expression zigzagged to a decline. The writer had mentioned that his daughter was at a slumber party and his wife was on the way home from work, adding that she would be ecstatic to meet Paula.

“Max, are you... are you talking about Anya and Allison?” the actress asked.

“Oh, you remember them,” he replied. “Good.”

“It has been... almost two months, Max.”

“Yeah, since they arrived from London.”

“No... ugh, Mr. Wesley has told us not to ever mention this again, seeing how you’ve been taking this pretty well.”

“Mention what, Paula? I’m quite puzzled at the moment.”

“Just know that I’m your friend and I would never intend to hurt y—”

“Paula... mention what?”

“Max, their plane... it crashed two months ago. No one survived.” She tried to be soft and careful to the best of her abilities.

Even if he could feel the goosebumps inside him, Maynard just laughed. “That is insane. I just saw them this morning. I just...”

“I-it might be your mind that’s keeping them alive, Max. They’re gone....”

Sweat peeked out of his head. “No, no... NO! They were just here!”

Paula was starting to tear up. “I’m sorry.”

A few memories of him mourning blinked inside his head. Sweating like crazy, he held Paula’s shoulders. “Why? Why are you doing this?!”

“Because it’s the truth,” she replied, her voice cracking.

“Go,” he whispered.

“What?”

Maynard couldn’t stop his jaw from shaking. “Go... leave me alone, please. Please.”

She slowly headed for the door, wiped a few tears, and told Maynard to reach her if ever he needed anything. The writer didn’t say a word; he just stood there with his back facing Paula. The actress wrote a prayer in her head as she let herself out.

Another whisper came from the four-foot cabinet. “Let us go....” This time, it sounded like Anya’s voice.

The main door opened. Allison entered.

“Honey, did I just see Paula Stone near the elevator?” she asked, excited as ever.

Tears were heavy on Maynard’s eyes when he turned to his wife. Another memory of him mourning flashed in his mind. The existence of Allison glitched a bit, growing a bit unstable.

“I-I need to drink some water,” she said, walking to the kitchen. “Gosh.” From her hair down to her heels, she struggled to stay visible.

“What’s going on?” he asked himself.

Another whisper came from the cabinet. “Let us go....” It matched Allison’s voice.

“What’s going on?!” he asked again.

“Honey, are you okay?” Allison asked after chugging down a glass.

“Are you real?” Maynard asked, reaching out to her. A tear ran across his cheek. Before he could land a finger on his wife, the main door opened again. Anya rushed inside.

“Sorry, sorry, I forgot Mr. Grizzlocks,” she said, referring to her stuffed bear. “You guys don’t need to move. I got this.” Just like Allison, there was something wrong with her. Her existence was stuttering as well, showing the walls behind her every now and then.

“Let us go....” the cabinet whispered again from behind its chains, mimicking Anya’s voice.

“Dad?” said the same voice.

He turned to Anya.

“Are you gonna drink that milkshake,” she asked, still holding on to both face and body. “Whoa, you don’t look so well.”

“I sensed the same thing, darling,” Allison said. “Maybe you need to lie down, honey.”

Maynard looked at the cabinet and its lock. “I need the key!” He raced past the stuttering images of Allison and Anya and looked through every drawer, nearly panicking. Not a single shelf could hide from him. Every corner caught his eyes. “Where is it?!” he shouted.

“Honey, please, you’re scaring us,” said Allison. “Can we talk about this?”

Maynard ignored his dearly beloved. He swung open a dwarf’s door and looked under the kitchen sink. There was still no key, but bolt cutters were present inside. He grabbed the pair and sprung up. Walking to the cabinet, he could hear his wife and daughter begging him to stop. Sobs were mixing in, weakening his knees, but Maynard carried on.

“Let us go....” the cabinet whispered again, sounding like two voices in one.

His bolt cutters bit the chain. Then the padlock and all the steel links fell to the floor. Both of his hands pulled the double doors. A batch of newspapers fell out, and under the headline about a plane crash, the printed names of Allison and Anya Maxwell glowed in Maynard’s sights. That was not all. Deep in the cabinet were two cremation urns of dark wood and gold that barely shared a contrast. The full name of his wife was on one, and the full name of his daughter was on the other. Devastated, the writer fell on both knees.

Then, from the open cabinet, an angry supply of air blew against him like a storm at sea. The voices of Allison and Anya crowded him nonstop.

“Let us go....”

“Honey, let us go....”

“Let us go....”

“Dad, please, let us go....”

“You have to...”

“Let us go....”

“Okay,” Maynard replied, the wind suppressing his voice.

The voices went on.

“Let us go....”

“Dad...”

“Honey...”

“Let us go....”

“All right, ALL RIGHT!!” Maynard shouted with everything he could pour.

The wind and the voices stopped. All was silent, and no one was around. The writer dropped to the floor and cried with the weakest sounds.

              “I love you both,” he whispered.

              A gentle breeze swept through him; it sure felt like a beautiful reply.

He knew what must be done, and it was the hardest thing ever.

At nearest the city park, the two urns sat beside Maynard while he stared at the man-made lake. Only the trees, the birds, and the four-o’clock-sun kept him company. His phone buzzed. Someone had sent him a voice message.

“Hey, Max, it’s Paula,” the recording said. “I’m really sorry for messing you up the way I did last night. I know I can never know what you’re going through, but as an actor... I might know a thing or two about wanting a different reality. It’s never easy—losing things, going through storms. I hope you can believe with me that things in this world will get better. Try not to go through this alone, okay? Just keep your doors open for those who want to be a part of your life. That’s all I can say. Um... bye.”

The writer slid his phone back into his pocket, picked up Allison’s urn with a calm touch, then faced the lake once more.

“Mr. Maxwell!” a young voice shouted from afar. “Need some help?” It was Colby, the red-haired boy he met a few days ago.

Teary-eyed, Maynard smiled at him and nodded. For some reason, the boy’s face made him think of milkshakes at the diner, and such a daydream would gladly be invited.

January 28, 2022 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ashley Cullen
21:39 Feb 02, 2022

David, I think your name generator gave you a name that you've perfectly used for a script writer! This story was really good, very well paced with great dialogue. I enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.