A LITTLE BIT OF MAGIC

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

2 comments

General

It was Cassie’s first time in Berlin. She had reminded her husband a few days ago, of the trip he promised her at the end of the year. He was always so busy with work and most times it stole their family weekend from them. Her office was her laptop and since it was very mobile, she preferred working from home, most days she craved her husband, yet she knew he didn’t have the luxury of bringing work home with him. This weekend vacation meant a lot to Cassie and she had made up her mind to get the best out of it.   

  

While on the train, she was excited for two reasons, the first being the fact that they were finally going on a vacation, the second was the enigma regarding “where”, since she told her husband to keep it a surprise. The train ride from Halle to Berlin was a little under two hours, half of which Cassie spent sleeping and the other half taking in the sights from the train, of the beautiful scenery. Soon after they got to Berlin, Frank took out his phone and showed Cassie some pictures of different wooden cabins for her to pick the one she’ll prefer they use for the weekend.   

  

This particular cabin was a masterpiece, the snow had completely enveloped the roof and created a perfect sandwich with the cabin humbly buried within. The owners of the cabin had cleared a drive-in space where they parked their rental car, got out and excitedly unloaded their boxes from the trunk, before running into the cabin. The cabin was warm enough to shield them from the four-degree temperature outside. The chairs were neatly arranged and positioned to face the giant limpid glass windows where the sun filtered in, when it shined, currently it was a big screen showing the beauty of the winter and at the same time preventing them from being consumed by it. Frank took the boxes upstairs and beckoned on his wife who ran up to see what the room upstairs looked like. The room was beautiful, everything inside was made of wood and the bed with the heavy cotton duvet on it was nestled to one corner of the room, there was just one tiny window at one end which was seldom opened especially during this very cold winter season. Frank heaved the first heavy box on the spring bed and it danced a bit before settling. The contents of their box were atypical for people who planned to have a really cold weekend and yet stay warm all the same, right on top of the box were Cassie’s leggings, jeans, and her sort of thermal underwear, beneath all these were the matching sweaters, winter coats, and button-ups. One of the other boxes on the floor contained their toiletries, and Frank knew which it was so he skipped it and picked up another box on the floor that contained their winter boots. He carefully placed this box on the bed and unzipped it, taking out its contents and arranging it neatly by the wall. Cassie had been stealing glances at her reflection in the mirror, making funny faces and giving fake orders to invisible people. Soon as Frank finished with the shoes, he looked up and saw his beautiful wife making a fool of herself in front of the mirror, he briefly let out a smile and came from behind Cassie with his massive arms completely hugging her from behind. Cassie’s smile grew wider, so she shut her eyes and reached behind her head to hold him on his neck as he kissed hers passionately. Frank then flung Cassie to face him and dug his hands in her hair as he drew her closer for a very passionate kiss. They eventually found the bed and after they had carelessly used their feet to kick the boxes off the bed, were lost in themselves. The duo fell asleep soon as the excitement died down.  

  

Morning came and Cassie was the first to wake up, she ran downstairs and headed for the large windows. She stood in awe as she took in the entire scenery, it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen in her entire non-adventurous life. A thought crossed her mind and she immediately dismissed it, yet this thought was very predominant and it finally drove her upstairs where she picked a sweater, her jeans and a muffler for her neck, without even considering if her ruckus would wake her husband, she started towards the door. Soon as she opened the door to the exterior of the cabin, a cold rush of wind blew right by her, lifting her perfect blond hair and sending chills down her spine. She immediately knew it was a bad idea and shut the door, turning only to meet her husband's unobtrusive giggles as he stood half-awake watching his wife. "I figured you couldn't resist the charm of the snow, only I didn't think a little breeze will make you cower," he said as he walked towards her and held her in a long embrace. She was a bit embarrassed.  

A few minutes later they both had a cup of hot coffee in their hands as they sat by the fireplace. "I was told there were some boardgames somewhere in this cabin", Cassie said as she got to her feet, she was determined to have some kind of fun, not like her husband's company wasn't enough, but she just wanted to do something other than just looking into his awesome eyes. Frank immediately got up and the ultimate search started, they went through the pile of books on the shelf and checked some other closet spaces upstairs, eventually, Cassie found a deck of tarot cards and she decided to play the mystical diviner while her husband played the young man who wanted to find love. Halfway into their seance, Cassie started feeling nauseous and occasionally ran to the bathroom to vomit, soon after she began to run temperature. Frank wasn't very concerned with the sudden illness that befell his wife partly because he was a doctor by profession. Whenever she rushed off to the bathroom, she came back to meet him smiling silently, and this was beginning to upset her. "Are you really not going to care if your wife vomits her intestines?" she finally cried out to him. He just sat still and finally said "The only thing that's getting vomited is a baby, and honey..." he gets up and walks towards her, holding her in hands he says "...and even that would take nine months baby Cas." He gently kissed her temples and Cassie couldn't hide the tears that flowed from her eyes. She was finally pregnant after four years of a childless marriage. “Guess this cabin is magical after all huh?” Frank said as he cleaned the tears off Cassie’s face. “ “I love you Cas.” “I love you too.” she manages to say as she takes his palm and kisses the center.  

January 09, 2020 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Madison C.
22:47 Jan 15, 2020

Good story! I enjoyed the ending. So sweet. I like how you established how much the trip meant from the very beginning. Well done.

Reply

Klyn Akwarandu
03:02 Jan 16, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.