1 comment

American Inspirational Teens & Young Adult

Amber in her late twenties worked so hard through out school. Graduating top of every class in high school and collage. Amber wanted to go into NASA but she also wanted to run a fortune five hundred. Amber got excepted into NASA she not fully sure where she wanted to go. All of her dreams came true the company she wanted wants her.

What Amber can not decide is to stay on the ground or fly in space. So she went to her mother to have a heart to heart conversation. On how Amber’s career should go with the stars or with a company. Amber drive the four blocks to her mother’s trying on her own to figure out. What she should do but it is not working she finally makes it to her moms.

Amber parks her car gets out walks up to her moms door Knocks on the door. Her mom answers the door saying.

Amber’s mom: ( Hey sweet heart. Come in)

Amber walks in her mom closes the front door they walk in to the living room. Amber sits down her mom asks her.

Amber’s mom: ( Would you like something to drink?)

Amber: ( Yes please some water.)

Amber’s mom goes in the kitchen grabs her a glass of water. Walks back into the living room sets the glass in front of Amber. She sits on the other side of the coffee table looking at Amber. Amber has her head down thinking her mother asks.

Amber’s mom: ( So to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?)

Amber: ( Mom I need your help.)

Amber’s mom: ( With what? )

Amber: ( Well you remember what I have been working so hard for?)

Amber’s mom: ( Well yes you wanted to go to NASA. But you also wanted to run a fortune five hundred company if NASA fell through. Why do you ask?)

Amber: ( It is like this mom NASA excepted me it is low level with room for advancement. Also a fortune five hundred company wants me with the same low level with room for advancement.)

Amber’s mom: ( Well there you go. You got what you worked so hard for.)

Amber: ( Yes I did.)

Amber’s mom: ( Well what is the problem?)

Amber: ( The problem is I do not know which way to go. Stay grounded move up to run a company and have children one day. Or shoot for the chance to see the stars and put parent hood on hold.)

Amber’s mom: ( Well one of two things can happen here. One you could always have a few flights to space then take a desk job at NASA. Or two you could take the desk job at the company and always be mad at your self for not going for the star’s.)

Amber: ( Your right mom. But I am still finding it difficult to decide.)

Amber’s mom: ( Okay I hoped it would not come to this.)

Amber: ( What?)

Amber’s mom: ( Well. Do you see the two door’s behind me?)

Amber: ( Yes?)

Amber’s mom:( Well it is like this I can blind fold you spin you in a circle. And make you choose a door.

Amber: ( That really is not going to do anything. They are just door’s what difference would that make?)

Amber’s mom: ( Yes they are just door’s but if I put NASA on one and company on the other. Then it becomes much more does it not.)

Amber: ( Yes that is right lets do it.)

Amber’s mom: ( You sure you want to go this route?)

Amber: ( I do not think I can decide any other way.)

Amber’s mom : (Okay.)

Amber’s mom takes a blind fold puts it over Amber’s eyes. Then takes two pieces of paper writes down the two place that Amber can work at. Pins them two the door’s walks over grabs Amber by the hand. Walks her over to the door’s spins her around four times then points her to the doors then says.

Amber’s mom: ( Go ahead you are in front of the doors.)

Amber: ( Okay.)

Amber walks over to the door’s feeling each one takes two steps back. Points a finger at each door going back and forth As if she is saying any mini miny moe to her self then points at the door walking up to it turning the knob and walks past the threshold Amber turns her head to her mom saying.

Amber: ( Mom can you tell what it is I chose.)

Amber’s mom: ( Why do you not just look.)

Amber: ( I am to scared to.)

Amber’s mom: ( Why are you scared for?)

Amber: ( Because this is a big choice.)

Amber’s mom: ( Well. You chose NASA.)

Amber drops her head a smile come across her face she even laughs a little. She left a life decision to a blind fold and two door’s . Amber takes the blind fold off looks at her mother with a smile on her face saying.

Amber: ( Thank you mom. I have no idea if I could of made this choice my self.)

Amber’s mom: ( You could have. You would have chosen the company and then hated your self for it. So I am glad you came to me instead.)

Amber calls NASA back in front of her mom to schedule a interview. Amber’s mom sit on the couch watching her with a smile on her face. Knowing that Amber’s life is pretty much set after this interview Amber will not want for anything. Amber will have a house a good car all she will be missing is a husband and children.

Which amber will have to make up her own mid on that. Her mom can not help her make that decision hopefully, Amber would find a good guy at her new job. And settle down after a few trips to space just so she does not hate her self. For not going to space like she always wanted. 

Everything is set for the interview NASA wanted to get Amber in as soon as possible. So the interview got set up for later that day Amber arrives for the interview. The interviewer asks Amber a few question in between looking over her schooling. How she ranked at the top of her classes high school and collage.

He also asked her.

Interviewer: ( Why do you want to work for NASA?)

Amber: ( I always dreamed of going to space. I will do what ever it takes to get the chance, to get in a shuttle and go to space.)

Amber: ( Let me add one thing sir. Even if it means starting at the bottom and working my way up to becoming a astronaut i will.)

The interviewer looks at Amber saying.

Interviewer: ( You are hired. )

Amber shakes his hand Walks out to get her badge. On her way there she can not but help to think. If it was not for her more helping her with being blind folded. standing in front of two door's having to pick one she would not be here right now.

May 21, 2021 18:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Charlie Murphy
03:02 May 30, 2021

Good story. Unique way to present dialogue. I like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.