2 comments

Drama Fiction

"To be honest, this is the first time I participated in such an event, and I don't even know how to tell everything about myself in five minutes," the guy of the office clerk type, sitting opposite Jane, began the conversation. He was wearing a dark jacket over a white shirt, with the top button resting on his Adam's apple that went up and down under a thin layer of skin. From time to time, he slipped his finger between the collar and Adam's apple, the way dog owners check if their dog's collar is too tight. Jane ran her index finger along the rim of her nearly untouched glass of red wine, resting her chin on the palm of her left hand. With half-closed eyes and an indifferent smile, she watched her interlocutor move his lips. She joined in the conversation with a quiet "uh-huh" when she caught his eye on her.

"Ding-ding," a saving ring sounded, signalising it was time to change the table.

"How quickly five minutes passed, and I didn't even know anything about you," the guy said awkwardly.

"It's okay," Jane smiled at him, getting up from the table, "You won't need this information anyway," she thought to herself, heading to the following table, where a guy in frayed jeans and a hat slightly covering a large tunnel earring was waiting for her.

She had long ceased to expect anything from speed dating but went there out of habit and to live up to her mother's expectations that she would someday marry. Jane stood in front of the entrance to the bar so that the "Speed Dating" sign could be seen, held up her membership badge, and took a selfie. Then she sent it to her mother with the caption "Continuing to search for my soul mate" and, with a clear conscience, went to the gym.

***

"I'm telling you, Harry, she's perfect," the tall, thin guy with round glasses added a certain charm to the buff and toned guys and girls in the gym. Even without a badge with the inscription "Administrator," one could guess this guy works here. "She is calm, loves reading books, and always listens to my stories attentively. She also has a cute wrinkle of her nose when she sneezes," he continued with fascination, speaking to the athletic brunette standing in front of him with a large sports bag on his right shoulder. "Listen, she has a very nice friend. Let me introduce you to her," the receptionist said, looking at Harry with sparkling eyes.

"Thanks, Tommy, but I don't really like 'nice' girls," Harry winked at Tommy.

"Hmm, then you should definitely get to know Jane," laughed Tommy, "Last year, she was runner-up at Iron Man, and that's two weeks after her cast was removed from her arm."

Harry shook his head with interest, "Not bad. Maybe I'll meet her. Does she come here often?"

"From time to time," replied Tommy, "I'll put in a good word for you when I see her."

"Okay, mate," Harry patted Tommy on the shoulder, making him stagger slightly, "See you soon."

"Yes, yes," replied Tommy, rubbing his shoulder.

A minute after Harry left, Tommy saw Jane walking confidently into the dressing room.

"Jane!" Tommy waved to her, inviting her to come over. However, Jane waved back at him and disappeared through the dressing room door.

After changing into her tracksuit, Jane walked to the treadmill to begin her warm-up cardio workout. Of all the running tracks, only one was free, but someone's sports jacket hung on it. Jane came closer and looked around for the jacket owner, but everyone was busy with their training routine.

"Oh, Harry must have forgotten it," said a breathless Tommy, who ran twenty meters from the bar to the treadmill, "Will you come over later? I wanted to talk to you." Something fell out of the jacket's pocket, and Jane grabbed a piece of paper before Tommy could even notice.

"Wow, this guy has good taste," Jane said as she looked at the ticket, "It's a pity you showed up; tickets for this concert are already sold out," Jane smirked.

"I wanted to introduce you to him, by the way," Tommy said, "I think you would suit each other. He's as crazy as you are," Tommy smiled.

"Well, he definitely has taste in music," Jane replied as she handed Tommy the ticket, "I'm sure it won't be any worse than the dates I go on."

"Great, can I give him your number?" asked Tommy, "I have it in my database."

"It's an old number. I should change it, by the way," replied Jane, "I'll come to you after practice. And don't forget to tell him that he forgot the jacket with the ticket. The concert is tonight; he probably won't want to miss it."

"Deal," Tom returned to his counter, pleased with himself. However, a few minutes later, his phone rang. From the corner of her eye, Jane saw that Tommy's expression became mildly puzzled. After a few more minutes, he got on his jacket and, throwing his backpack over his shoulder, quickly left the gym, leaving Lina to replace him.

***

"Dude, the concert is just awesome!" a drunken voice sounded in Harry's right ear, "But if it wasn't that young lady, you might not be here."

Harry nodded to the music and took a sip of his beer.

"It's a pity that your band broke up; you could have opened for these guys," the voice of a friend continued to buzz in Harry's ear.

"Yes," Harry shouted without turning his head. Then the music stopped, and the band disappeared backstage to the screams and clatter of the crowd. Harry finished his beer and went to the bar to leave the empty bottle.

"Would you like something, Bobby?" Harry asked his friend.

"I'm coming with you," replied Bobby, "By the way, I have a colleague who also played guitar in the band. I think you would get along."

"It's the second time someone wants to introduce me to a girl today," Harry smiled, pushing his hair back from his forehead.

"Well, this young lady is like fire," said Bobby, turning around with a new bottle of beer, "I would have invited her myself, but she is too crazy for me. She is fond of triathlon and constantly travels. By the way, she was even in Everest base camp. And last year almost won Iron Man," Bobby drank half a bottle in one gulp. Harry asked curiously, "What's her name?"

"Jane," replied Bobby.

"Wow," Harry said, "I think Tommy wanted to set me up with her.

"Tommy from GymBeam?" asked Bobby.

"Yeah, he's the one. And you say she also plays the guitar?" Harry began to question with the rising interest.

"Yeah. She was in some band, either the Green Jeans or something," Bobby said, gesturing to the bartender to repeat the beer.

"Green Genes?" corrected Harry with surprise in his voice.

"Exactly!" Bobby raised his beer.

"I played in that band too," said Harry, pacing back and forth, trying to remember that time, "I came to replace the girl who wrote the guitar parts. They were damn good. You should introduce me to her!" Harry grabbed Bobby by the shoulders, almost causing him to drop his beer.

"Wow, mate, take it easy. When I see her tomorrow, I'll ask her to leave me her number for you."

***

As soon as Jane entered the gym, Tommy immediately headed to her.

"How does this happen?" he asked as he approached her, "He only left a couple of minutes ago, and you missed each other again!"

"Who's left?" Jane asked, taking off her coat, "That guy?"

"Yes, Harry! He asked about you. Turns out you work with a friend of his," Tommy said excitedly.

"Hmm, probably not anymore. I got promoted today, and I'm moving to another branch located in another office building far away from here," Jane said, moving towards the locker room, "But if you hadn't run away the other day, he would already have my number," Jane smiled.

"Sorry, Megan got sick, and I needed to be there for her," Tommy began to make excuses.

"Is this your new girlfriend?" Jane asked.

"No, my cat," Tommy said tenderly. "But that doesn't matter. You have to meet him. He played in Green Genes after you!"

"Really?" Jane paused outside the changing room, "Now his taste in music is questionable."

"Ha-ha," Tommy said sarcastically, "I'm telling you, it's destiny! He's into triathlon like you, played in the same band you did, and loves to travel," Tommy began to get into a frenzy.

"Easy, Tommy," Jane put her hand on his shoulder, "Come on, I'll leave a note with the place and time of the meeting, and if it's destiny like you say, then he will be able to come," said Jane, "Agreed?"

"Agreed," Tommy was delighted, "Now I'll bring a piece of paper and a pen!" he shouted, running to his table.

"Can we do this afterward?" Jane called after him.

"No," Tommy ran up with a piece of paper and a pen, "Right here and now."

***

"We're here, sir," the driver said half-turned, turning off the taximeter. Harry looked out the window and saw the sign "Parabola Restaurant". After paying off, he got out of the car and went inside. The time was 7:55 p.m.

"Good afternoon," the restaurant manager greeted Harry, "Do you have a reservation?"

"I believe the table for two on the name Jane," Harry said as he watched the manager search for a reservation with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Unfortunately, there is no such reservation, but we still have a few tables available. Would you like to sit down?" the manager asked politely. Harry nodded and walked inside.

***

Jane was sitting at a table in the Parabola Cafe, finishing her glass of red wine. It was already 8:30 p.m. on the clock, and Harry has still not come.

***

"Won't she come?" Harry thought to himself as he glanced at his watch again and saw the time on the dial: 8:45 p.m.

***

When Harry entered the gym, he immediately caught a displeased look from Tommy approaching him.

"Explain?" the receptionist asked angrily, "I arranged a date for you, but you didn't come!"

"What are you talking about? I've been there since 7:55 p.m.! She didn't show up," Harry crossed his arms over his chest.

"She waited forty minutes for you, then left," said Tommy indignantly.

"It can't be the truth. There wasn't even a table reserved in her name," Harry said with confusion.

"Are you sure you were in the place she wrote?" asked Tommy.

"Yeah, Parabola Restaurant," Harry replied.

"Parabola Cafe," Tommy corrected him.

"No, the restaurant," said Harry caustically, "the Parabola Restaurant."

"But she wrote the café," Tommy said with confidence in his voice. Starting to doubt, Harry took out his phone and searched for "Parabola Cafe." Tommy knew from Harry's surprised face that something had gone wrong.

"Don't tell me there's both the Parabola Restaurant and the Parabola Cafe," Tommy said with disappointment.

"Crap!" Harry yelled, almost smashing his phone on the floor, "You gotta be kidding me."

"So, this is your last chance. She goes speed dating every Saturday, just for fun. Go there and meet her.

"Why can't I meet her here and explain myself?" asked Harry.

"Because she's moving to the other side of the town, she won't be here again," Tommy said nervously, shoving Harry out of the gym, "Go now; you'll have time to work your muscles later."

***

Jane sat in the armchair of the one-room apartment on the fifth floor, warming her hands on a cup of hot tea and watching people get on and off the bus. Tomorrow she will be sitting in a different apartment, in a different district, and have a different position. Her life will change and remain the same at the same time. Everything will be as it was but in a completely different way. She will have new acquaintances, a new favourite bar, and a new gym. Today she will not go out to meet anyone; she will devote this evening only to herself.

February 03, 2023 16:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cynthia Hoskin
22:12 Feb 08, 2023

Nataliia, I don't know how much of an edit Reedsy is suggesting for this exercise, but, being a professional editor, I of course have a lot to say that a simple "like" won't cover. Some good ideas here, and a good story presenting conflict and frustration. Let me know what you'd like to hear.

Reply

11:16 Feb 09, 2023

Hello Cynthia! Thank you so much for reading my story. For me, it is always important to make my story 'real', especially as I am not a native speaker, I don't always feel the language, and the main goal I want to achieve is to make the readers imagine themselves in my story and see my characters as real people. I also would like to know if I am successful at developing my story's plot so that it has all the necessary elements like exposition, climax, and logical conclusion. And, of course, if the story makes the reader want to read it till ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.