3 comments

Contemporary Fiction Kids

"That's it" Zaine said, as he popped some banned bubblegum into his mouth. It was the start of lunchtime, the hour before the Nationwide Literacy test, compulsory. Zaine said to his lifelong friends, Neehan and Beau. "Miss Meanie, in fact, this whole school and their tests have really got on my wick!"

"Hey, you!" Zaine called, "Yes, you, Kerrie, you're the bell monitor. Over here, now!"

"What for?" Kerrie asked.

"You're the bell monitor. Come with me, you'll thank me for this one day."

Puzzled, reliable girl Kerrie followed Zaine to check the school clock and bell. He showed Kerrie how he jammed the school time for the start of lunch hour. Zaine had stuck his bubblegum in the battery of the clock.

The whole school was going to have one long afternoon of playing, running around and enjoying not doing tests. Zaine did not really care what the teachers did in their stuffy staff room. They could have one long happy coffee hour and gossip.

Leaving the school clock in Kerrie's capable hands, Zaine led Neehan and Beau to the front of the school. The boys gasped, "Zaine, where did you get this?"

"It's a secret," Zaine replied, "I ordered delivery of the latest state of the art flying car, from Porsche!"

"It's amazing!" Neehan said, gazing at the sleek silver lines of this flashy vehicle.

"Who's going to drive it?" Beau asked, being sensible. "None of us can drive,"

"It's got autopilot. Come on, I've got the keypad."

Zaine opened the car, and the three thrillseekers sat in the squashy leather seats, inhaling the fragrance of this brand new luxury car. A flying car, that is.

"But what about our tests?" Neehan asked, "My parents won't be happy when I fail."

"Don't you worry about that. At our school today, there are no tests. Cancelled. I've taken care of that."

"Where are we going then?" Beau wanted to know, smiling.

Zaine looked at the cold, but clear, winter sky. Shivering, he said, "I want to go on a holiday. Let's face it, we dudes should be surfing, sun baking, fishing. We have earned it, after all those essays, we had to write."

Neehan was googling on maps of the world. "Perfect! In Tahiti, it is hot. Blue skies, surf's up, no clouds on the horizon, the sea looks sparkling."

"Right," Zaine thought that was as great idea. "Looks like Tahiti is waiting for us."

Between them, they dialed the map location of a small coral island off the coast of Tahiti. Zaine bravely pressed the autopilot, there was a 'ding!" After the chime, the car's sensors announced. "Put on your seat belts now. Lift off in three minutes. Commencing departure checks. All clear ahead."

The three boys were fascinated. They were soon flying above the clouds, as the flying car elevated to a mile above the surface of the world below. "Not another adventure!" Neehan laughed.

"It's all waiting, just for us," Beau agreed. "Nice wheels, Zaine, very nice." They went zooming along at over 100 miles per hour. Meanwhile, back in the school playground, lunchtime went on and on. The teachers were enjoying their coffee and laughs. They really were not interested or notice why the hours were creeping past so slowly.

The school children ran around playing games and sports, getting fresh air and exercise. The tuck shop ran short of treats, but no one was complaining. it was the best and longest lunch time ever.

Far away by now, the flying car said, "Ding! Starting descent and landing!" The boys could not believe what a smooth flight they had been on. Yes, the sky was indeed a beautiful bright blue, not a cloud in sight. The sun shone brightly. This was definitely not a place for fleecy hoodies and track suits. There was an aqua lagoon, surrounded by a coral reed,.

A surf bay was not far away had their name on it, for total enjoyment. White sandy beaches were fringed by palm trees, where there were tropical flowers. Parrots flew like jewels, and a beautiful Tahitian teenage girl smiled, as the three little dudes emerged from their excellent wheels.

"Welcome!" I am Miss Lola, your tourist guide. "Hi, I'm Zaine, the handsome one!"

Zaine was never shy. Miss Lola grinned. "You are our guests. Over here are your huts. Inside there are shorts and summer gear. You can change for swimming and sun baking."

"Time to relax, Zaine." Neehan said.The boys could not wait for a swim. "I think I have a crush on Lola." Zaine told the others. Beau made a kissing noise, while Neehan giggled.

Very shortly, the three little dudes were floating on air beds on the aqua and turquoise lagoon. It was a clear, they could see right to the sand below. Beneath them swam bright little tropical fish, while an old dolphin floated by, also smiling at them.

"Ah, this is the life!" Zaine remarked, trailing his hands in the bay. "Happy holiday!"

Miss Lola called the three boys into shore, and gave each of them a plate of baked fish with salads. For sweets, the boys really enjoyed the coconut cream pie, freshly baked. They each had a cool, refreshing drink, served by pretty girls. They sipped from half coconut shells, holding swizzle sticks and tiny paper umbrellas. Very swish.

Following lunch, the dudes and tourist guides cast some fishing lines, while the smiling dolphin did some party tricks.She did a beautiful belly flop, splashing salty water all over them. Zaine, Neehan and Beau lay back on their beach towels, working on their summer tans, as the lovely afternoon continued.

But Zaine wanted to do some surfing. He was always their noble leader. So the boys wandered round to the next shoreline, grabbed the waiting surfboards, and paddled into the surf.

The Thrillseeker Three were really enjoying their vacation. Miss Lola was waving to them. but Zaine just waved back. She yelled, "Be careful!" Zaine and Beau looked over their shoulders. Behind Neehan, they saw a deadly fin. "Look out!" Zaine called to his mates. "We have pressed the shark's yummy button. Head to shore!" Riding a big wave, they surfed to the sandy beach.

"Safe!" The friends made it. "Nothing lasts forever." Miss Lola told them, handing them their winter clothes. "Your flying car is waiting right here. Thanks for coming."

Zaine took his hoodie, pulled on his winter clothes. So did the others. Their silver flying car rolled up alongside them. Its wings were flashing, ready for lift off. The little dudes clambered in, while Neehan dialed in the map reading for their school, back there in suburban Winterville.

Their superior car departed, leaving Tahiti far behind. Their journey did not take that long. Descending, the car landed at the front school gate. The boys took a selfie, wiping some sand from their clothes. The car took off, back to its designers, flying on remote control.

Reliable Kerrie had finally rung the end of school day bell. Yes, it was 3:30 pm. So soon. No one had achieved anything in the National Literacy test. The whole school had failed, got a zero. The teachers had some heavy explaining to do to the Education Department and the Parents' Committee. The boys saw Miss Meanie and the other educators wandering off their cars in the staff car park.

"What do we tell our folks?' Neehan always asked intelligent questions.

"That is not our problems," Zaine said.

"I suppose we'll see Tahiti again. It's so beautiful." Beau sounded a bit sad.

"Anytime we like, until my Dad's credit card expires." Zaine told his mates.

"Aloha, school," Zaine headed off home, with a little head start on his suntan, or another adventure.....

September 15, 2023 19:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nick Rogers
17:09 Sep 24, 2023

this is amazing and now i want a flying car

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
10:34 Sep 23, 2023

If I had a flying car, I'd never send it back! LOL Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
22:52 Sep 17, 2023

Carefree carousing.🚗🏖️

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.