2 comments

Black American Fiction


Cut!... let's take a ten-minute break…


"Mom, you looked relaxed, confident, and beautifully in your element in front of the camera, but how do you feel?"

I'm good. I did a breathing treatment, although I was worried before we started. I'm glad I wore my scarf around my head, shoulders, neck, and long johns underneath this outfit. All the lights on me are an excellent heat source… ha, ha, ha

(Mom thinking) …We will face our fears for our children…, right? Inhaler in hand, nervous system on blast, and eyes wide open, I entered the cozy cavernous space this morning with reservations. I guess I was trying to overcome my fear for two reasons; myself and my son, who is directing this documentary.

"Let me know if you need a break or anything. I'm not trying to have my first film be your last."

Me either (I thought)

I've been told that Hissing Caverns are like Luray Caverns in Virginia, where I am from. My son's first field trip and my first asthma attack happened in the middle of Luray, Virginia. We followed Mr. Fearless and his classmates into a narrow passage beneath the light of day. I don't know if the cool dampness or excitement caused my chest to tighten, but I made it out in the nick of time. An ambulance was waiting at the exit, and I was given my first Nebulizer treatment on the way to Luray General Memorial Hospital in June of 1991.

I left thinking…WOW, how majestic!

 It's beautiful. If this would be the last thing I should see, I've seen Heaven on Earth. It would be a fun place to film a movie with blue and red glasses that makes everything 3D or holograms…

Here we are thirty-two years later…

The name gave me chills, but I had to have this cave, this town, and the people of Hissing Caverns in our film. It's rumored to be the original settling site of the first Wyoming settlers. We are exploring the first place on earth known to exist in Wyoming's hillbilly junction. The men who settled on the name in the 1700s named it because of the sound the wind made when dancing passed the opening of the largest cave.

The sheriff calls it Hooch Alley based on the moonshine production of two families, the Coopers and the Crawford. They were a modern version of the Hatfield and the McCoy; like the Hatfield and McCoy feud, theirs was over a love affair and which family owned a particular piece of land. Their farms were side by side on Route 33; on both sides, the stretch of pine trees on the left between the two ponds marked the boundary lines; until the ponds connected.

Forgive me…I love history and could explore, talk about, and educate people about genealogy, geography, and generational interactions all day. Ten years ago, I was hired as the town historian of Hissing Caverns, and last year Wyoming asked me to update the state maps. Because my job with Wyoming is a double position takes me all over the state to every city, county, hamlet, borough, and every pig poke and patch of grass to make sure you can find it on a map. No matter how afraid of heights or depths I am, I must record the population and the layout.

Caves are fascinating places full of mysterious wonders that nature provides in brilliant colors and sizes. The floor of the cave is a stalagmite. Stalagmite is a mound or tapering column of Calcium salt that seems to rise from the floor and is deposited by dripping water. Scientifically the same type of deposit hanging from the ceiling is called Stalactite.

Cut…

"Mom, let's look at the playback…. I love to hear you tell the stories about your explorations, but I want to listen to my ten-year-old mom experience it with me for the first time in this cave as you did in Luray. Remember the excitement we felt reading the explanation cards when we reached each exhibit, even if we heard the guide say his quick speech as he passed.

"You sound winded."

(Listen up, everyone!) let's wrap for lunch. Be back by 2.

 (I feel scared! Trying not to look like ten-year-old me, she's breathing like she had that first field trip day.)

"Mom, let's get medical to do a listen and a breathing treatment. They are on their way. Here sit down in the warmth of the car's back seat. Lean back, relax, and take a few cleansing deep breaths. Take a couple of puffs of your inhalers until medical gets here. Guess what…Aria is pregnant."

Really?

"Yes, we have been waiting for the perfect time to tell you…now is as good as any."

(feeling her pulse) good, it is rising

(handing the medicine to the paramedics.) "Mom needs a Nebulizer treatment, please. Here is the solution."

 (Son praying) 'Lord, we need help here. I need her to be okay. We can't do this without the rock of this family. Each treatment doesn't last as long as they used to. This baby will be her first grandchild. I don't want anyone else to be my leading lady in my first cinematic attempt."

(update) Your mother is not responding as well as we would like to the treatment, so we are taking her in. We suspect there is a respiratory infection brewing in her right lung. I hear some rails in the lower lobe. Will you be riding with us?

"No, but I will be right behind you."

"Monica, Monica, can you let the crew know what is happening and to take the next three days off? Mom's asthma is in overdrive today, so she's getting admitted to Wyoming General. I will keep you informed. You should study the notes that Mom made for the film. See you Monday regardless."

(Monica nodding) "I will and prayers to you, and don't worry."

(phone ringing) "Hello"

"Baby, Mom nearly collapsed on the set today, I noticed, and shut down immediately. I'm on my way to Wyoming General. When I know anything, I will call you back. Is your morning sickness getting better? I tried to distract Mom earlier and told her you are pregnant…. Forgive me, I know that we were waiting for the best time to tell her together, but I needed to get her thoughts in a new place. I'm at the hospital, so I love you, Aria.

(call disconnected)


July 20, 2023 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
18:26 Jul 20, 2023

Trauma added to drama.

Reply

Kimberly Walker
20:11 Jul 20, 2023

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.