0 comments

Sad Fiction Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

*TW: Mentions of blood and gore!!

I heard the keys insert into the door and the doorknob turn. The door opened to my husband, Richard. "Good evening, honey. How was work?" I asked as usual. He hung up his coat and gave me a hug, like usual. "Today was like any other day, but thank you." I smiled and tilted my head towards the dinner table, where dinner was waiting, like usual.

He put his suitcase down on a small shelf near our door, and headed to the table where he sat down in our cheap little chair. Richard was the only one with a job, and I ran the errands, such as grocery shopping and making bill payments. I've tried looking for work, but I've been rejected several times because I have zero experience.

"Tonight, I made some alfredo pasta, your favorite, right?" I asked, trying to create some conversation. He nodded. Richard was quiet, like usual. I made myself a small portion and sat at the table with him. There was little to no conversation throughout our dinner time, like usual.

Something about Richard is that he is a very quiet man. Ever since I met him at the old diner a few miles away from our home, he only ever made small talk and hated long deep conversations. We've been married for fifteen years, so I've been used to it. This doesn’t mean we don’t know each other, I’ve learned a lot from him and so has he from me. There’s a reason we are married, he wouldn’t have gone on one knee to a stranger, would he?

After dinner, I picked up the dishes to be washed and expected Richard to go upstairs and wash up, like usual. However, he instead got up and grabbed his coat, then mine. I was sure at first he would most likely go and finish up some work, but then confused when he picked up my coat from the hanger. I decided to ask for clarification. "What're you doing, sweetheart? Do you have any unfinished work?" I questioned. He shook his head and chuckled. How strange, I’ve only rarely heard my husband chuckle. He then looked at me confused. He then finally opened his mouth and said,

"Let's go for a walk."

My eyes beamed and I felt a gasp fly out of my mouth. I loved walks, but Richard didn't. I always figured it was because of his long days at work. After all, he did plenty of walking there anyways. For all the years we've been together, we've never been on a walk together. I usually walked in the mornings on my own after he left for work. Out of all of our usual days, this was not one of them.

"So, what do you say? Are you coming?" he asked. I quickly nodded and rushed over to him. He handed me my coat and I grabbed it and put it on, then I slipped on my boots. Once I got up, I gave him a peck on his cheek. He gave me a soft smile as he opened the door. It was cold and windy, it was fortunate we had worn warm clothing. We took a few steps outside and he made sure to lock the door as we left. I took his hand.

We walked along the sidewalks of our small neighborhood. Although not big, it was certainly enough. I expected a short walk, but either way, this was special. We talked more than we ever have. That's not so usual. But, I learned so much more about my lover, and he learned a lot about me. It was a bonding moment I never thought we'd have, even though of our long marriage.

"We should head to the convenience store and get ice cream!" he gleamed. "Oh, yes!" I agreed. I’ve never felt this excitement from Richard. He grasped my hand a bit tighter as we began to walk toward the crosswalk. Oh, he’s never done this either. I couldn't help but have this goofy smile on my face. It was so large, but it truly showed how happy I was. I glanced over to Richard, who was also smiling the biggest he ever had.

We reached the crosswalk and looked both ways. No cars. We then continued our walk. All of a sudden, a red truck of some sort comes dashing towards us. By the time I screamed, it was too late. It hit both of us. I'm not sure where the truck drove to, or if it hit anything else, all I know is that the two of us lay on the ground. Together. We were both in a lot of pain, both of us had tears flooding our faces along with the blood. My lover's nose looked almost detached, his fingers now crooked, and tire marks all along his torso. He looked almost squished or flattened. I couldn't tell what was wrong with my own face, I only felt waves of continuous pain. 

We continued to lay with our hands together. Our puddles of tears and blood had mixed. I was still in a state of shock. A day I thought was going to be one of the best turned into a disaster I’d expected in my nightmares. I’d expect this to be the nightmare I’d have and hide myself in Richard’s arms. Not in severely injured Richard’s arms, the one that was clean and alive. "I love you, Richard," I mumbled, but it was almost inaudible because my tears and blood had begun to flood my throat and choke me. He hadn't responded back. I must have waited too late. “Richard? I love you,” I said again. Perhaps he didn’t hear me the first time. I felt no pulse in his hand. He was dead. I continued to sulk and choke on my own blood, until the puddle grew too large, it caused me to die a few minutes later.

Who knew our first walk would be our last?

January 18, 2023 00:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.