0 comments

High School Mystery Teens & Young Adult

I walk out of the police department and get in my car to see a guy sitting in the back seat. "Did you close the case?" he asks, and I nod. "Did you get the file and evidence?" he asks, and I nod again so he throws a bag in the passenger side then gets out and leaves. I lock the doors and open the bag seeing a shit ton of money. I blow out a breath then open my bag pulling out the case file. I sigh then just put it back driving home.

I am sitting on the floor in front of the fire later that night when I feel someone sit next to me. "You did the right thing" Brandon says kissing the side of my head and pulling me into his side. "I took a bribe to close a murder investigation." I whisper not wanting my daughter to hear. "It's half a million dollars and anyone in your position would have done the same"

"Would they?" I ask turning my head to look at him. He smiles and rubs his thumb over my cheek. "Yeah, and if you don't believe me then you really underestimate what people would do for half a million dollars"

"But I could get fired"

"That's why we are going to burn the file and the evidence" Brandon whispers taking out the stack of papers. "Then plan it as an accident"

I stand up take the papers throwing them into the fire. "You're doing the right thing" Brandon whispers then hugs me.

Time Skip

I wake up in the middle of the night to my phone ringing. I turn over and answer to hear "Ellie" I sit up hearing my coworker whispering. "Cole?" I ask confused

"Someone broke into my house and........Ellie they killed my wife and daughter" he whispers

"Is he still there?" I ask getting up pulling on jeans and a sweatshirt.

"I don't know I'm hiding in the crawl space" he whispers

"Stay put I'm coming" I say and after we talk about staying on the phone I drive to his house with my gun and badge. When I get there, I see a car that's way too familiar, so I go inside leaving my phone in the car on purpose.

I get inside and see the guy who bribed me sitting on the couch smirking at me.

"I knew you would show up your Andrews best friend and who would he call after his family gets murdered not 911 no of course not he would call his best friend first" he says, and I finally see the case files on the floor. The same ones I burned earlier tonight.

"What are you doing?" I ask crossing my arms

"The man I work for" he starts but I cut him off yelling "Oh you mean my ex-husband!!!!"

He laughs a little then leans forward putting his arms on his legs. "Yeah him. He doesn't like your little friend snooping in his business"

"I'm sorry you can tell Alex he can fuck off! I closed the damn case for him"

The man stands up no longer smirking and takes a step closer. "Cut the bullshit you closed the case for the money not for Alex and not because you wanted to. I bet if you had it your way Alex would be in a cell right now"

This time I step forward. "Your right if I had it my way Alex would be in a small cell where everyone could see him piss because that's what he deserves but that doesn't matter. What matters is I dropped the case and I will get Cole to drop the case. In the meantime, don't forget I used to be Alex's wife. the wife of a gang leader and I wasn't no shy bitch now get the hell out before your body joins the other two on the floor" I say

He glares at me hard then starts to walk away but stops close to me and leans down to whisper in my ear "Just remember the only reason no one touches you is because of Alex"

After he is gone, I dig two holes in the backyard and put Cole's wife in one and his daughter in the other. I clean up all the blood and when the house looks normal again, I get Cole.

After he is out of the crawl space we sit on the couch and stare at the floor in silence.

"What happened tonight Ellie I heard yelling" Cole says looking at me with tears in his eyes.

"Remember my ex-Alex" I whisper and Cole nods. "He wasn't a flight attendant he is a gang leader Cole, and he is the reason I had to close that case. I need you to forget about the case and not tell anyone about tonight, Cole. He's dangerous and" Cole cuts me off by hugging me. "You're looking out for me consider the case forgotten" he says, and I hug him back harder.

After leaving Cole's place, I start to drive to Alex's hanger. When I get there, I park and get out of my car slamming the door going inside to see Alex yelling at someone tied to a chair.

"Same old methods I see" I say walking over making Alex look at me.

"Still hot I see" Alex says looking me up and down.

"Did you forget I'm married" I ask crossing my arms

"Did you forget I don't care" he says waving a hand. Two people come over taking the guy away leaving us alone. "What do I owe the pleasure?" he asks

"You killed my best friend's wife and daughter. I closed the case and I get he was snooping but you could have asked me to talk to him" I say

"You don't answer my calls or texts"

"Then come to my house"

"Your new husband don't like me and doesn't want me around my daughter"

"Full of excuses I still see look he is going to forget about the case and not mention a word about anything that happened tonight but next time come to me first" I say turning leaving.

"You always were the best in the field sure you don't want a job I'm sure it will pay better than a filthy cop" he says but I just flip him off leaving.

August 12, 2022 16:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.