0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

The roar of thunder woke me up as I was asleep in bed. I got up and checked the time. It was nearing 2 in the morning. I glanced at the city through the window: It was totally dark except when illuminated by flashes of lightning. Rain was falling in sheets. No street lights! I switched on the bedroom light and confirmed there was no electricity. My wife Reena now got up. She said “It has been raining since 9.”

“Yes. The city roads will be flooded. You normally get up by 6. Sleep longer as you won’t be able to open your shop this day.”

“It’s okay. You too get back to sleep. It is Saturday and John will call at eight.” John is our son settled abroad.

As I was about to reach the bed I felt a tremor under my feet. I looked up and sensed the ceiling fan swaying overhead.

I shouted “Reena there seems to be an earth quake. We must rush into the open. Come on!”

I pulled her out of her bed and hurriedly opening doors dragged her into the street.

She shouted “It’s pouring.”

“Doesn’t matter. Let us get wet than die with the ceiling collapsing on us.” I looked around but saw no rush of people on the road: People were sleeping blissfully!

We stayed a few minutes in the rain and then I said “The quake seems to have stopped. Let us get back inside.” I cautioned “Watch your step. It’s very dark.”

We went in and changed clothes after drying ourselves. After we had settled in the bed I said “The quake seems to be of high intensity. We’re sure to hear of many casualties.” I continued “Reena, tomorrow, I mean today, would be four years since I retired. Not because……”

“I know. You retired before your time. Why do you keep thinking about it? What is the use?”

 “I’m fond of remembering the 28 years of service I had put in in that hospital. Unblemished service as an ortḥopedic surgeon,  becoming head of tḥe hospital. And then to exit due to………..”

She said “I’m sleepy.”

I continued dwelling on my past: There was a fire in the female ward of the hospital and before it could be put out 6 women inpatients were dead. It was an accidental fire due to somebody’s carelessness but I was called to account. Antony the leader of the political opposition called for my blood saying Dr.Reed should be dismissed from service. The inquiry team found me guilty of ignoring negligence and of being indifferent to imposing strict discipline. Antony had insisted on my being sacked. But considering my long service I was allowed to voluntarily retire. I loved service in the hospital where I had healed many. I sighed. Since then Antony has come to power and is now the ruling head. I had heard that Antony blindly wielded power. He was known to take rash decisions irrespective of consequences. But he had a reputation for survival.

Remembering how I had been treated I now recalled these lines: Evil is wrought by want of thought/As well as by want of heart. Which way did it happen to me I mused! I slowly sank back in sleep.

I was up by 6 in the morning. Rain had stopped though it continued to be cloudy. Electricity had been restored. Reena was still asleep. I made myself a cup of coffee and switched on the TV. As I watched I called out to Reena saying “Come and see TV. There is news.”

She joined me as the TV was saying ‘Two of the three high rise buildings called Star 2 and 3  recently built for housing  have nots have collapsed dūe to last night’s earthquake which measured 6 on the Richter scale. It is said there could be many casualties. Surviving victims are being rushed to hospitals but with great difficulty due to flooded roads. Party chief Antony himself has been supervising rescue operations.’

I now received a phone call from Antony’s office: There is a rush of patients and a shortage of surgeons. If I could help I was told to immediately reach the government hospital which I once headed. I agreed pronto. I found a place in a rubber barge and boarding it reached tḥe hospital where there were a huge number of patients waiting to be treated. Pulling on a regulation uniform I went into the surgery. My skill came back to me and I quickly started operating. By lunch time surgical supplies were exhausted. But Antony was resourceful. He somehow managed to replenish needed items and I worked till late in the night. I was told “Debris of the fallen buildings was being extracted and more survivors were being rescued.” Antony himself put in an appearance at the hospital but took no notice of my presence though I had met him several times while in service.

In about a week all the injured had been treated and there was no need for my working in the hospital. I again took sorrowful leave and stopped going there.

Newspapers the next day started speculating about the future of Antony who had allotted contracts for constructing the fallen buildings to someone close to his party. He was accused of favouritism and even of having received kickbacks. But Antony stood his ground: Had he not kept up his word to provide housing to the have nots? Had he not provided temporary homes to those affected by the collapsed buildings? Had he not paid compensation to the dead and injured? Had he not offered free treatment to the wounded? And again had he not promised to rebuild the fallen buildings as speedily as possible? His arguments exonerated him.

That day my wife said “You worked so hard at the hospital after the buildings collapsed. Nobody took notice of it.”

I said “I don’t care.”

A couple of weeks later I was asked to meet Antony. When I met him he said “I’ve called you to thank you for pitching in when you were needed. I couldn’t do it earlier as I was very busy. Here is a cheque for your service.”

I said “I appreciate your gesture but I loved helping those who needed my treatment. Sir, I can’t refuse something given by you in the status of chief minister. I would like to donate it to the chief minister’s welfare fund.”

Antony sat staring at me a few moments. Then he said “To make you forget the past I can make you mayor of this city as my party is in power. It is a prestigious position.”

I said “Sir, I’m honoured by your offer but I’ve chosen to withdraw from public life. Sir,thank you for having found the time to talk to me.”

Antony was called away before he finished with me.

END

December 03, 2022 16:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.