1 comment

African American Fiction

I get showing up fashionably late, but this is almost ridiculous. Work was crazy, out of control. I'm lucky to be getting out of there alive. Shayla's gonna be so pissed. Deep sigh. Oh well, at least I'm here now; I think as I walk into the main ballroom of the Marriott Hotel, or whatever they call that room. Shayla is celebrating that the cancer is in remission. And she's doing it big.

The first thing I do is go to the bar. Maybe a drink will help calm my nerves. Don't know why I'm so anxious. Except that Shayla text me earlier that she wanted me to meet some guy. She really thought we would hit it off. She told me to be sure I look cute for her party. Pressure. Blind dates, really aren't my thing. I love my friends, but they don't know who or what I'm looking for in a romantic relationship. Honestly, I don't even know half the time. I thank the bartender for my drink. I take one or two sips of my Cosmo, and turn around. I can't believe my eyes. I don't know what he is doing here, but suddenly I am ready to go.

Standing off in the corner is Owen Barnett. He appears to be talking to someone, so I hope he doesn't see me. I dance my way to the other side of room. I don't want to be too obvious. The truth is I hate that man. Now, I don't usually use that word. But in this case I mean it. I really hate him. I start thinking of clever reasons why I have to leave so soon.

A hand taps my shoulder. Shayla looks at me brightly, and gives me a big hug. She looks great. Her weight is coming back. Her cocoa brown skin is smooth and bright. "I'm so glad you made it, finally."

"I know, I know. I kept trying to leave early, but it was one thing after another. It couldn't be helped. But I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"I want you to meet someone. Melody Thornton meet--

My smile suddenly turns into a frown, "Owen Barnett. This is who you thought I should meet."

"Yeah. What? You two know each other."

"Oh yeah." He smirks. 

"We go way back. How's the wife?"

"Angry and bitter, but thanks for asking. We just filed for divorce."

"Lucky woman. I hope she gets half of everything you got."

Shayla shakes her head, "I'm so confused."

Owen hugs Shayla, "Great party. And congratulations yet again. But if this is the woman you were thinking of, I'll pass. I been there . . . done that. 'Sides I gotta get to back to my son. G'night." He walks away. 

Shayla throws up her hands, "Okay explain."

"We dated last year. Everything was great until his wife calls me, and accuses me of breaking up her home. I didn't even know he was married. And here I was contemplating a future with this man." I take a deep breath. "Look, do me a favor, let's act like this never happened and have some fun tonight?"

She nods. "I can do that. Come on, let's dance."

*****

To be honest, I feel out of place here. I'm only here because it seems like the right thing to do. I can make a showing. Although me and Shayla don't know each other that well, we been cool for awhile. I know her people.Her auntie and my mama was friends. And I know it hit 'em hard when she started battling cancer. It's a big deal that she beat that shit. 

So, here I am. I have a couple drinks. I seize a moment when Shayla is alone to congratulate her. As I walk over to her, I see Melody walk into the room. We casually dated last year for about 6 months or so. I really enjoyed the time I spent with her. Maybe if I had been straight with her we could have continued. She was a little naive, and didn't ask the necessary questions. My soon to be ex-wife and then wife called Melody one day after going through my phone. 

I know Melody saw me. For moment, I'm frozen in place. I feel good, and am determined to stay drama free. That's why I am getting a divorce. So, I figure the best thing to do is make fast and smooth departure. I can't go without saying goodbye to the guest of honor, and I'm on my way over to her anyway. 

I touch Shayla's arm. She gives me a bright smile. "I have to call it night. But congratulations once again."

"Oh no, you can't go yet. There's someone you have to meet. And I won't take no for an answer."

Before I can say anything, she takes me by the hand and leads across the room. She taps Melody on the shoulder of all people. I step back to allow the women to have a moment. I also want to quickly figure out how to do this. Much too soon Shayla reaches back for my hand and says, Melody Thornton meet--

Melody looks at me, "Owen Barnett." If looks could kill, I'd be dead on the spot. She says something else but all I hear is, "How's the wife?"

There are several ways I can handle the situation. And in all honesty, I don't pick the best one. In my defense, I don't slap her or shake although I want to do both. Instead I say, "Angry and bitter, but thanks for asking. We just filed for divorce." 

We exchange a few more words. I quickly turn to Shayla who looks baffled and confused. I hug her "Great party. And congratulations yet again. But if this is the woman you were thinking of, I'll pass. I been there . . . done that. 'Sides I gotta get back to my son. G'night."

Without another word or second glance I walk out. As I step into the night air, I feel like I just dodged a bullet. I hope me and Shayla are still cool after Melody gets done running me through the dirt. You know how women be. 

*****

I can't believe Melody isn't here yet. She the main one helped me plan this event. She knows how important this is to me. All I know is that she better not blow me off. She said she was coming. Besides, I really want her to meet Owen. Right now, I can't be bothered with that. I have a party to host. I float around giving smiles, hugs, sharing a dance, and of course taking thousands of selfies. I love that everyone present is really enjoying themselves. It's a night to celebrate life. And not just for me, but all of us. Life is such a precious gift.

That's why I'm so glad that Owen is here. He and I knew each other as kids. I wouldn't say that were cool, but my favorite Auntie is friends with his mother. We reconnected while I was going through my journey with cancer. He was just a great friend at a time when I could use one. I know that my girl Melody is a great friend, and that she is in a rocky place. She of course won't say that, but she could use a friend. I want them to meet. Besides, they have a lot in common. I already told both of them that I have someone for them to meet. Now if she would just get here already. 

I catch Owen's eye, and he starts walking towards me. But I'm pulled into yet another round of selfies. I turn around and see Melody standing at the bar. Now she would try to blend in, and act like she been here hella long knowing full well that she just walked through that door less than five minutes ago. She should know I've been scanning the room looking for her. I should go off on her, but it's all about positive vibes. At least she made it, and she better have a damn good reason why she kept me waiting.

I feel someone touch my forearm. I turn and smile at Owen. We exchange a quick hug. He gives me some line about him having to go. My head is screaming. I tell myself to chill. Positive vibes, remember. 

“Oh no, you can't go yet. There's someone you have to meet. And I won't take no for an answer." I take him by the hand, and quickly lead him to the bar. Melody's back is to us. I tap her on the shoulder. I hug her as she turns around. "I'm so glad you made it, finally." I can't help myself. We don't have the place all night. 

"I know, I know. I kept trying to leave early, but it was one thing after another. It couldn't be helped. But I wouldn't miss this for the world."

I wave that off. I have no time for excuses. "I want you to meet someone. Melody Thornton meet--

"Owen Barnett." She completes my sentence. "This is who you thought I should meet?”

"Yeah. What? You two know each other." I say trying to get caught up.

"Oh yeah." Owen confirms that he knows her, and it's not just a coincidence that she knows his name.

"We go way back. How's the wife?"

"Angry and bitter, but thanks for asking. We just filed for divorce."

"Lucky woman. I hope she gets half of everything you got."

I watch them banter back and forth until. I can't take it. I shake my head. "I'm so confused."

Instead of either of these fools explaining themselves, Owen gives me a hug. He says some shit that I can't even hear, but I can tell that his making a quick getaway. I hope I at least smile at him before he walks away. 

I throw up my hands, and give Melody all my attention. ""Okay explain." I take a deep breath, and prepare myself for the worst. Although, I have no clue what that is.

She begins slowly. "We dated last year. Everything was great until his wife calls me, and accuses me of breaking up her home. I didn't even know the piece of shit was married. And here I was contemplating a future with this man. Look, do me a favor, let's act like this never happened and have some fun tonight?"

I nod. "I can do that." I take her by the hand, "Come on, let's dance." 

August 05, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ayesha 🌙
21:46 Aug 10, 2021

Good work! I’d love to see what you’ll do in the future

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.