0 comments

General

We are not your normal siblings. I am Sasha and this is my brother Kale. We may share the same body but we don’t think alike. See my brother and I are joined at the shoulder. Parent #1 and #2 keep us hidden. They tell us that the world wont take us as we are. So living in the Blanton forest away from everyone, except our nanny Clair, is our normal. 

“You are crazy Sasha! There is no way I am going on a hike again! I cant possibly deal with it. They are so boring!” Kale complained. “ I want to get out there before it rains. You know how the rains can last. I don’t want to be stuck in the log cabin anymore than I have to.” Sasha stated. “CLAIR!!!!!!” Kale whined. “ Yes my boy?” Clair asked. That is what she calls Kale. Since parent #1 & #2 are hardly ever around. “ Sasha wants to go on like the fourth hike today! I am tired of it. I don’t want to go.” Kale said. “Well, my boy you may as well go now before the rain keeps us locked in the cabin. Here I will go with you. Will that work?” Clair asked. “Fine, but tomorrow if the rain stops early I want to stay inside.” Kale compromised.

The forest is beautiful. I love coming out here. The way the grass dance in the winds. The way the tree sways. The music from the birds. The flowers opened up towards the sky. Trying to ketch the sliver of sun shine dusting the floor of the forest. Out here I feel like I could go anywhere. The animals of the forest welcome us. I feel at one with my soul. This is my peace. Well, as much peace as Kale allows me. 

Kale wants to go out in the world. To see the things Clair has told stories of. He wants to see the tall buildings. He wants to go to school. A actual school with other kids. Kale wants to experience giggling with friends in the back roll. He wants to go shopping for clothes that were not made by Clair. He wants to ride a bike. Most of all I think he just wants to be his own person. 

My train of thought was broken. “Sasha, earth to Sasha!” Clair was calling. “ I think we have hiked far enough. The light is starting to darken. I believe that it is about to rain.” 

“Oh, I am sorry Clair, I was just pondering over things that can’t be changed.” Sasha replied. We started heading back to the cabin when the wind turned fierce. A dead tree fell with a loud bang. It missed us by mer feet’s. “CLAIR WE HAVE TO GO NOW!!” Both of us screamed. The air was turning colder. Everything in the forest started whipping and roaring. Not a single animal in sight. The birds call their alarm as they swoop down to collect each other. 

“Don’t panic guys. We will be okay.” Clair tried to smooth the fear. “ BUT. BUT. We walked a mile! How are we suppose to beat the rain?” Kale worried. “ Oh Kale stop complaining!” Sasha yelled from annoyance. “Your the one who wanted to go on this stupid walk.” Kale said angry. “ Guys,guys,guys. The bickering is only going to hold us up and this storm looks like a bad one. If we could put our differences aside for just a bit.” Clair preached.

“Yes Clair.” Kale and Sasha said in unison.  

We began to pick up speed. Out here in the forest we don’t get t.v. nor music from a box. So only naturally we don’t have a phone out here either. All we have is some old beat up truck and I don’t even know if it runs. We have never been anywhere but here. #1 and #2 come in and out of our lives. They come baring gifts and some non perishable foods. The rest of the food comes from the hard work of the land. Clair dose not believe in killing animals. We do keep a few chickens for their eggs. I am not really sure how that fits in with her views. You know, since it is an undeveloped animal. 

The rain began to pour. “It’s okay guys, we are almost at the cabin.” Clair reassured. A few more curves on this beaten path and we will make it to safety. With the chill in the air the rain is unbearable. 

We finally made it back to the house. Our feet and ears are burning cold. Clair gets to starting a fire while we get our wet clothes off. The goose bumps spike up when our flesh is revealed to the chill in the room. We hurry pulling our night gown on, wrap up in a blanket, and run for the heat of the fire. “ There, there little ones. Let the fire warm you to your bones. The storm will pass.” Clair said soothingly.

We must of dozed off. Clair was yelling tornado. We whip our heads around to see the sky turning green. A tale tale sign of the death destruction machine. We jump to our feet and head to the shelter. Underground in a damp chilly concrete room we huddle. Clair hums to relax us. This is not the only time we have had to come down here. We stay a few hours and then go up. The cabin is always okay. Clair always thanks the Lord. However, the land is not always okay. Sometimes our garden is destroyed. 

We finally head back to the house. Sure of our-self that everything is going to be okay. Then Kale sneezes. You could say allergy’s since we live in the forest, but not Kale. “Oh dear, thank God we have some Dogwood tea in the house. You will need to get in bed and stay warm.” Clair demanded. 

We crawl to our bed. So worn out from all the days events. All I can think of is how I don’t want to get sick. How the storm turned so fierce. How if anyone of us would of gotten hurt, we could be stuck. I think of how our parents are never around. What would happen if Clair got hurt? Would they send a replacement and expect everything to be okay? Kale has already dozed off. I reach over and feel his head. “ OUCH, its burning like the sun!” Sasha yelled. 

I can see the fear growing in Clair’s eyes. I begin to panic. “ What are we to do Clair?” Sasha whispered. “ I am going to go get the truck started. You wake him and try to get some of this tea in him. Bundle up, the truck don’t have a heater.” Clair said in a hushed whisper. 

“Kale, hey Kale. I have some tea for you.” Sasha said gently. “mmm um mmmm.” Kale mumbled. “Just part your lips and sip a little. I got the rest. We are going to take care of you.” Said Sahsha. “AAAH CHEW!! Oh no now I am getting sick.” Sasha said to no-one. 

An abnormal sound pierced the air. The next thing I know Clair was getting us in the truck and buckled up. “ Where are we going Clair?” Sasha asked. “ We are going to the hospital. Kale has a bad fever.” Clair said. “ And I have just sneezed. I am sure it will be only a matter of time before the fever reaches me.” Sasha stated. 

I feel asleep in the truck. Watching the lines on the road is hypnotic. Staring out the window I realized the forest is way bigger than I could comprehend. When I open my eyes I no longer see trees. I see other cars. I see other people and all their buildings. “ Is this the world Clair?” Sasha asked. “ Yes my dear Sasha.” Clair replied. 

My eyes felt the heat that the fever was pushing on me. Even through all this I knew that Kale needed to be awake. He must see this world I see. “ Kale, Kale, Kale.” Sasha repeated. Kale cam back with a very quite, “Stop Sasha.” “ But Kale. We are in the city. There are other people. You must wake up to see.” Sasha begged. Kale opened his eyes. He can not believe what he is seeing. A dream come true. 

We pull up at the hospital. “Wow, Clair, this place is HUGE.” Sasha said in wonder. “Where are we?” Kale asked. “ My dear boy, this is a hospital. A place were they help the sick and the wounded.” Clair explained. “I am scared to go inside.” Kale and Sasha said together. 

“What if all those people stare? What if they won’t help us for the way we look? What if no one wants to be around us?” Kale worried. The what if’s plagued my mind as well. “We will hold hands and keep our head up high. I will be right here with you.” Clair assured. 

We finally muster up the courage to walk inside. I look around and I see all kinds of people. There are men with out legs and arms. The are women with no hair. There is a verity of people. Not everyone looks the same. I take a breath. I hold my head up high. 

We get to the front desk and get paperwork. It looks like a bunch of homework. A lady came around to the door and called just Kale's name. Her face turned red as she realized. “ My apologizes, Kale and Sasha.” The nurse said. She takes us to a small room. There are so many things. She uses these things to check our breathing, oxygen, and temp. “ Kale is running a 101 degree temp. Sasha is running a 99 degree temp.” The nurse stated. “ Follow me and we will get you a room. The doctor will see you soon.”

We followed her through the halls. There are so many doors. The light was almost blinding. She shows us our bed and told us to relax. “Everybody is being so nice to us here.” Sasha said. Clair kept quiet. The doctor comes in and ask us a few questions. He writes something down. He then explains that we are going to have to take medicines for the flu. Clair sighs in relief. She thanks the doctor and we go on our way. She knew questions were coming once they reach the truck. The only thing she could think of was: Your parents are hiding their sin.

June 03, 2020 15:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.