0 comments

Christian Contemporary Inspirational

"You'll never know unless you try." His wife's voice echoed in his ears. He had heard her answer him many times after this same manner. Needless to say, he didn't always heed her advice. A bit on the stubborn side, he would instead talk himself out of "swinging for the fences" as the saying goes. This time, though, he heard her. She was right. He had better not let her know that...hehe...he thought to himself.


She was a kind woman and very wise. And very persistent. She wanted her husband to be brave enough to write, publish and illustrate his comic. She would not take no for answer. Hence why she had answered him many times this way. She saw his great potential! She knew deep within that he had been purposed for "such a time as this." His drawings came to life right in front of her! He just had a way of visualizing the concept ahead of time. Then would practice until the breakthrough came. Countless hours, she had sat by on the bed as his lead pencil began to create art. He hated to color his works. But when he did, it was as if the image were engrained forever in her mind. She saw him as a man of excellence. Honestly, that scared him. What would happen if he failed her...or worse himself?!


He wanted to be as brave as she thought him to be. This moment, tucked away from all distractions, he decided within himself to put his work out there. It was like he took a moment to glimpse inside his soul to find out who he was. The mundane had become his life. His soul desired to be revived and come back to life.


It was so easy to get caught up in the tasks of every day life when one had "his quiver full." There was always someone that was vying for his attention. Sometimes it was his wife needing a reassurance of love. Other times it was one of the 8 kids wanting to be the apple of Daddy's eye right then. He went to bed every night exhausted from the honey-to-do list, a full day's work at the factory, showing love to his better half, and from spending time with each child. It was a daunting task. Not for the faint of heart for sure!


It was his time to shine. He had to sequester himself from everyone and everything. His words were valuable because they come from the Heart of the Father to a desperate world. He had to get past perfectionism to the realization that his words mattered. He mattered. His purpose in life was greater than factory work, though he did well there. His words spoke hope and life to this generation. They craved them as much as his soul craved the fresh release of fire to his bones. For he was only truly free when he was creating. Inspiring others to believe. And causing others to rise up into their gifts.


Marco had yet to fulfill his dream of a youth center for the city. Bringing resources and talented teachers to share their love of art with all the youth. Small little acts of kindness toward his own children had inspired him. He wanted them to be able to pursue whatever creative outlet that they fancied. To bring together the best minds that loved to teach and loved even more to inspire their pupils to greater things. Not only for the facets of art like illustrating and drawing, but also those who loved the written word. Or who treated sports like their own unique art.


Yes, he would release his artwork and writing to the world. His own kids needed to see him get out of his comfort zone. He had a story to tell. His drawings emphasized the words. The visions and dreams he had that he found ways to incorporate into the stories were what made them come alive. Anointed for the work and ready, he sat down to publish them. He knew it was bigger than him. It was his fingerprint on the world. A legacy. An inspiration for his future generations. His divine purpose. Determined to walk in his purposes and callings so they would walk into theirs.


They could become artists, painters, story tellers, journalists, missionaries, teachers, illustrators, toy creators, songwriters, the next chef, or anything else that they wanted to be. Opening their eyes to their potential and purposes. In a world full of despair, to grant hope. Let their dreams come alive as well. All from the courage of a Daddy who stepped out. And got a little uncomfortable. Who gave it the old "college try."


Fear of failure could not keep the words locked inside. Flowing like a river, the words began to rush forth. Where the story was going to end up, he did not know. What he did know was that the success wasn't in the publication of the the project. Rather, it was in the ability to finish the masterpiece for the Master. The beauty would be found in the flow. There would always be an audience for his words if he dared but speak them.


His children would know he was humble, kind, generous, and willing to bless their generation. Long hours spent drawing and writing would be rewarded. He would have his art studio. And the dream would become reality. And that persistent wife would be standing there supporting him the whole time. See, her words mattered too. She had been divinely positioned to speak life to his dreams. Though she had waivered in her cheering on before, now she was his head cheerleader. She would celebrate with him as he walked into his destiny. Or rather typed his way into it.


Those daughters watching on would know the importance of cheering for their husband. The sons would know the value of a "helpmate." They would inspire their children and grandchildren to speak life over those around them. And a weary husband would know his sacrifices mattered. Going to the factory every day mattered just as much as his works of art. The small moments define the biggest ones. They had been slowing learning to keep showing up every day. Even when life didn't look exciting or thrilling. There was great teaching in those mundane moments.



March 10, 2022 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.