You broke my heart

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

0 comments

General

This is normal. It’s all normal. I’m normal. Who isn’t normal?

I head downstairs not noticing that my mother was calling me for a while now. I run past the bathroom and my parent’s room. It’s a fairly small house compared to the rest of the town. My mother hands me what she made for breakfast. As per usual it’s oatmeal. I don’t mind that we have it every day anymore, in fact I’ve grown quite fond of it. I slurp down my food with no hesitation.

“Kid,” my mother starts “you‘re going places.”

I smirk so she can‘t see that I’m laughing at the fact she actually believes in me.

”Well, I should be going to school.” I pick up my backpack from beside the small, rusted, wooden door.

She laughs and tells me to go catch the bus. I nod in approval and dash out the door. This is how it’s always been. Mother takes care of me and actually raises me while father goes on business trips all around the world. He only comes back on holidays. I have to wait a month each time just to see my own parent. That doesn’t feel right but as my mother says “it is what it is and that is more than enough.” That’s what reminds me how lucky I am. To have two, alive and loving parents. To have a roof over my head, running water and good food. To be lucky enough to be educated. Educated and happy. Happier than most. It’s a quite normal life but “it is what it is and that is more than enough”.

My bus arrives to save me from thinking too much. The same steps I always take.

The bus driver waves and I nod to say hi. She smiles at me to let her know that made her happy. I smile back. I walk down the crowded bus hall. I take a seat in the back where nobody seems to be. Everyone waves to me. I try to wave back at them but there are too many. I take my seat and the bus starts driving down the street to finish up the route.

“H-h-hi,” a girl I’ve never seen before boards the bus and sits on the seat across from me. “I-I’m new here.” She hides in the corner but I know she’s talking to me from the hesitant wave my way.

I guess I should introduce myself. It’s the right thing to do.

“I’m Rebecca.” I hold out my hand for her to shake. Cowardly she reaches out and shakes it. “Rebecca Lauren.” I finish off my full name.

She places a loose piece of her hair behind her ear.

“I-I’m Teresa Mageo.” Her voice is still hesitant. I smile and her and nod.

“Do you wanna join me at my lunch table?” I ask trying to be polite. She’s seems nice. Nice but shy.

It seems as if everyone on the bus immediately turned their head to us. They look confused but I don’t understand why. With the bus full of silence a kid points at us and finally tells me why they are all so confused.

”She gets to sit with you?” Everyone peeks around their seat awaiting my answer. This is seriously why they all stare?

” Yeah.” I respond. “Anyone can. It’s just lunch.“ Everyone looks up at me in glory.

“Are-are you like popular or something?”

”Not really but apparently to them I am.”

She joins the group and looks at me so lovingly. Oh god. I roll my eyes. Now I’m gonna be crowded at lunch. I don’t wanna get in trouble. I can’t get in trouble. I can’t even imagine what father would do. That would make him come home. I know it would. Wait a minute, me getting in trouble equals father coming home. Oh boy. Here goes nothing. I open my back pack and take out my lunch and water. I make it noticeable that I have it out. I had the new girl a sandwich and she starts to chow away. I drink the whole bottle of water. It’s a small offense but it’s against the rules to eat and/or drink on the bus. The bus driver pulls the bus over at the school quicker than ever. Everyone leaves the bus. I’m last in the line. Before I step out and walk away the bus driver looks at me. Time for the lecture that will bring father home

”Hey. You’re a good kid. I know you are but I’m still gonna tell the principal.”

that wasn’t a lecture at all. Huh.

“Yes. I understand.”

I walk off the bus soon after we wave goodbye. During first period I get called down to the principal‘s office.

“Ooo,” the whole class thinks I did something horrible but boy are they wrong.

I arrive at the principal’s office and see my mother inside. I stand outside for a little while imagining all the things that could happen. I build up the courage to walk in.

“Do you know why you‘re here?” He asks this question in such a firm tone.

“Yes,“ I respond.

“I thought you hadn’t told her yet.” I hear the whisper between my mom and the principal.

“So you know about dad and I?” My mother asks this but I actually have no idea what she means now. I thought this was about the bus. What is she saying?

”No. What happened to you and father?”

She looks at the ground then back up at me. Hers eyes start to tear and the principal decides to leave the room.

”Sweetheart. Dad and I are breaking up.” She says this with tears of heartbreak in her voice.

My jaw drops and the sound of my crying fills the silence.

” I-I don’t understand.” I reply stuttering like the girl on the bus. “You‘re getting a divorce?”

She nods and holds me tight.

“Go to the car if you wanna go home. I understand if you do and the same if you don’t.” She walks where the principal walked out. I wipe my tears off on my oversized hoodie and pull a straight face on. The bell hasn’t rang yet so there are no kids in the halls. I open the door to class then immediately close it and run to the car. I hop in crying more than I ever have before. I thought I was normal. Like everyone else. Why can’t it just be like that. Just stay like that. Books always either have heartbreak or happily ever after. Is it so much that I wanted somewhere in the middle? My mom walks to the car and we take off the direction of home.

“I’m sorry sweetheart.” She starts. “ It’s hard to love someone who isn’t there when you need them most. Who won’t raise their own kid or even see them aside from holidays. It’s hard. But we have to get through it. And we will. Eventually.“ Her voice trails off and I stay silent. Staring out the window wondering what has just happened. When we arrive home I hop out of the car and run inside.

“Father. What are you doing here?” I’m so mad right now even to hug him after about a month of not seeing him.

“I need to talk to your mother. This topic doesn’t concern you. Go up to your room and do whatever you do up there.”

I huff and run upstairs in tears.

“Don’t you talk to her like that!” I hear my mom scream in tears at him. I hear a loud slap noise then a loud shriek.

“This is why we are breaking up!” I hear mother scream. “You are toxic mister! You hurt the ones you should be loving! And don’t slap me again or i‘m filing a restrain order and you can say goodbye to ever seeing your daughter again!”

My moms protecting me. Who is this beast I call a father?

“Oh yeah?!?”

I hear another loud shriek and the fall of someone on the ground.

I can’t let him do this to her. She’s my mom and she doesn’t deserve this.

I have to call the cops. I grab my mom‘s phone from beside her bed. I dial 911.

With a weak voice I tell them whats going on. “M-My father came over. R-right after my mom stated she wanted a divorce. The-then he hit her. I’m upstairs but m-my mom is on the ground. C-can you help?”

In the background of them asking questions I hear people all around saying they’re gonna be right over. A police siren is nearby. My dad runs upstairs searching for me. I run into my mom‘s closet and hide behind some clothes. I try to slow down my crying so he won’t find me. Why did this have to happen? “Police, open up!” My dad doesn’t open the door so they barge in. I hear my dad yelling and that’s that last thing I remember.

“That’s a lot for a kid to have to go through“ My therapist says.

”Yeah, I guess. I only wanted a normal life. Now look where I am.” I respond. At least this is this. That’s more than enough for me.

June 06, 2020 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.