One Last Gift

Written in response to: End your story with a character standing in the rain.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Fiction Suspense

The rain splattered against the windshield of my navy blue station wagon.  The cloth seats sank below me as tears fell down my puffy face.  How could they do this to me?  My black lace prom dress was sticky with punch.  Snarls tangled my long wavy brown hair.  Black mascara ran down my face.  Two headlights gleamed brightly in my rear view mirror, blinding my cloudy vision.  A large puddle shimmered in the yellow light of the rusted streetlamp.  Squealing rang in my ears as I slammed into a tree.  Glass shot into my skin, leaving rivers of blood flowing over my body.  My body groaned, protesting my escape from the wrecked car.  Dirty hands yanked me out onto the wet pavement.  Cold raindrops plodded on my forehead.  Broken is how I felt

“A new toy.” A gruff voice mused, tracing his finger on my quivering lips. “You will certainly please the master.”  Ice jetted through my veins at his cold words.  A pair of crazed green eyes looked into my copper eyes.  A dark hood hid the rest of his face.  With a huff,  my body was slung on his deformed shoulder.  Instinct told me to wait for your chance, but my heart was screaming.  Leaves crunched beneath his brown cowboy boots, leaving me to pray.  If there was a God, his assistance was needed at the moment.  An abandoned cabin loomed in the distance.  A ratty door squeaked open to reveal a tall black goat demon.  Horror widened my eyes at the unnatural sight.  His hoofs clicked together, poofing me into his cold dead arms.  Rotten eggs drifted up my nostrils, flipping my stomach around like an acrobat.  Goosebumps prickled my pale bloody skin as his goat nose sniffed my neck.  His goat eyes bore into my darkened soul.  

“You most certainly are a special one.” It huffed in my face. “You never find a virgin these days.  You will be the perfect carrier for my child.”  Shock froze my muscles, not knowing what to do.  

“I don’t want to carry a goat demon child.” I protested weakly. “I would probably die.”  An evil chuckle rolled off his long tongue.  

“It amuses me that you think you have a choice.” He boasted, licking my chin. “Heather knew the price of my summoning.”  Fury burned through my veins, her name haunting me.  Of course she put me in this situation.  Hooded figures gathered around us, guiding us to a large pentagram.  Chills ran down my spine, bones of the local cats stared back at me.  A baby blue dress shimmered underneath a black cloak.  

“I see you found me out.” A cruel voice conceded, taking me to the pentagram. “I knew you were a virgin.  Too bad you won’t make it through the night.”  Think Brittany.  Horror movies literally dominate your weekend.  A silver blade glinted in the candlelight.  She howled when the blade slammed into her leg.  Jumping to my feet, my feet sprinted into the woods.  

“Get her or you die!” The demon ordered, howling into the pouring rain.  The trees around me spun, twigs snapping all around me.  You just have to make it through the night.  Let’s see you left prom at eleven o’ clock.  Doom weighed heavily on my heart at the realization that I would need to survive at least three hours.  My lungs burned for air as tree bark dug into my back.  Maybe it would be easier to make it to the road.  Cars could be heard rushing nearby.  Maybe about one mile away.  

“Come on out, you bitch!” She screeched inches from me. “Make yourself useful for once.” Thump, crunch! A car slowed down on the road nearby.  Breathing deeply, my mind prepared for the sprint of my life.  3,2,1 Go! The rain fell on my head, my feet nearly slipping on the wet leaves.  Trees flashed by my face, cloaked figures chasing after me.  Relief washed over me when wet pavement lay beneath my feet.  My face fell at the sight of no cars nearby.  Glass crunched underneath my black mary-janes.  Shakily, my fingers grasped at the largest piece of glass.  Looking around me, my shoes clicked to my trunk.  The cuts screamed as the door swung open.  Thank goodness it broke months ago.  One piece of blue carpet later, a tire iron laid in my other hand.  A body slammed into me.  Gurgling echoed in my ears.  Heather’s blue eyes looked shocked.  The large piece of glass stuck out of her heart.  Blood dripped onto my face along with the rain.  Large arms pulled her off of me.  

“You are free to go.” The goat demon growled, standing in front of me. “I stick to my deals.  You are not on my list.”  With that he was gone.  The glass was no longer my skin.  Did he just heal me? A ring echoed out of the front seat of my car.  Rushing to it, my dad is calling me.

“I crashed on Devil’s lane.” I blurted out. “Can you come get me?”  He said he was fifteen minutes away.  The rain fell on me as I waited for him to come get me.    Happiness filled me up at the sight of my dad's green truck.  Eagerly I climbed in.  

“Go now!”  I ordered, holding his hand.  until we made it home.  The rain raced down the window until my home came into frame.  The a-frame felt safe.  Was I finally safe?  Without a word, I sprinted into the bathroom.  My dress clung to my hourglass figure.  The silk protested angrily as I peeled it off.  A black mark lay on my stomach.  The goat demon stood outside and motioned me to come to him.  Calmly as one could, a black robe swung around my shoulders.  My red galoshes splashed in the flooded yard.  He was inches from me.   

“You have something that is mine.” He cleared his throat. “Can I have my kid back?”  His pointy finger touched the black mark.  A deep frown darkened his face, confusion filled mine.  The mark would not disappear.  

“Why won’t it leave?” I inquired numbly. “I just want to go to bed.”  A dark grin brightened up his goat face.  

“Whose kid is that?” He asked playfully. “You had me fooled that you were a virgin.”  Shock filled my eyes at the thought of the time Rolan and I met up in the woods.

“Rolan, I think.” I mumbled sadly. “He died about a month ago in a car accident.”  Tears fell from my eyes as fast as the rain on my skin.  Sighing, he offered me a black hand.  

“Trust me, you are one of the good ones.” He admitted sheepishly. “You got this.  I have been summoned again.  See you later.”  Once again he was gone.  My hand fell on my stomach.

“Thank you God.” I sobbed, looking into the gray night sky.  I will always have a piece of Rolan with me.

September 21, 2021 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.