31 comments

Crime Fiction Horror

This story contains sensitive content

**Content Warning: murderous, psychopathic behaviour**


“It’s terrifying, Mercy,” says Mrs Stafford, when she finally finds her voice. “It must be taken down.”


I don’t understand. It’s a magnificent scene. A vista of 17th century London is stapled across the wall-mounted display board, crammed full of rickety wooden houses cut from corrugated cardboard. Tissue paper tongues of flames engulf the buildings, sending sequined sparks soaring into a soot-black sky. Panic-stricken Londoners flee the inferno in a steady stream, their crayoned mouths in multiple ‘o’s of horror. A few have been trampled, daubed with a pattering of bloody footprints, a detail not mentioned in Pepys’s diary but which no doubt occurred if modern history is anything to go by. Although official accounts reported few casualties, the children and I have attentively depicted several figures with blackened arms raised above their heads, hands lit up like human torches, halos of fire illuminating their anguished, melting faces.


This is education at its finest. This is history brought to life.


We have spent the whole afternoon in the school’s activity room, updating the wall display, as Mrs Stafford herself requested. The small group of pupils in my charge were distressed at times, it’s true, but never will they forget this particular part of the curriculum. Standing beside me, their tear-stained faces are a testament to the evocative art created under my direction.


Only Grace remains unmoved. She is a rare child, mature enough to appreciate my tutelage. Her gooseberry green eyes, unblinking behind the thick lenses of her glasses, take in details lost to her peers. Children, like weeds, pop up irrepressibly between the pavement cracks of society, in wave after relentless wave. They must be disciplined, controlled, and occasionally eradicated, in order to manage their natural propensity to consume the world. Frankly, I’m perplexed by the sacred adoration that’s lavished upon them. But Grace is different. She is as refreshing as winter sunshine: bright, alluring, yet bitterly cold.


“It’s supposed to be lifelike, so the children can imagine they were there,” I reason with Mrs Stafford. “Surely you can appreciate the work we’ve put in. Have you spotted the cat?”


I am particularly proud of this detail. History books omit the loss of animal life in the Great Fire but I have ensured its representation. The scorched creature lies in a grotesque pile of twisted felt and pipe cleaner legs, a tiny pink tongue lolling from its open jaws. Explaining how it would have become overcome by smoke inhalation before the heat contracted its muscles and shrunk its organs was straightforward, given I was there when the Roberson’s nasty, yappy dog became trapped in the Village Green bonfire last Guy Fawkes night.


“Yes, I see the cat. It’s an unsettling image. Unnecessary.”


I refrain from rolling my eyes. 1666 was an unsettling year, and I have no intention of sugar-coating this fact for the children. My new role as classroom assistant is proving challenging; it seems there is a fine line between the initiative and obedience required of me in equal measures. It’s not even as if Mrs Stafford is an outstanding teacher. Weeks in, I’m shocked by the mollycoddling I’ve witnessed in her class, the overprotective pampering of spoiled children. I’m left in no doubt− our education system needs a radical awakening.


“Please don’t take down our display, Mrs Stafford. It was a lot of fun,” Grace pipes up. “Although… the Black Death would have been funner.” She stares at me as she speaks, and I offer an almost imperceptible nod. I agree. Mentally, I begin to plan a collage of corpses in a mass grave.


The bell rings for the end of school. The children jump, their peaky faces turning to Mrs Stafford, relieved when she ushers them out. Only Grace stays behind. She slips her hand into mine, her fingers sticky with PVA glue.


“Mrs Stafford will come to her senses,” I murmur. “I’ll see to that.”


“I’ll see to it too,” Grace says, her green eyes glistening like peeled fruit.


 *


This morning, in Maths, the children are designing tessellating patterns. They concentrate hard, eyes down, cutting along the dashed lines of their worksheets with imperfect coordination, tongues poking from the sides of their mouths− not unlike the dead cat in the activity room display. Fragments of chatter are shushed by Mrs Stafford. She sits at her desk like a monarch overseeing a kingdom of stunted, little people, flashing a stern gaze when disturbed from her marking. She has no need to reprimand the children at my table, however. As usual, my group works in utter silence. My latent talent for behaviour control is one I imagine many teachers in this school covet.


The beauty of the activity is overwhelming, and I could weep when I see the order and symmetry of shapes being glued side by side in patterns that infinitely repeat. Everything has its place; everything is in harmony. Only once do I have to pinch Jeevan’s chubby thigh when he is careless about lining up clean corners.


Mrs Stafford glances at the clock- it is almost break time. She reaches into the arms of the cardigan slung over the back of her chair, preparing for playground duty.


I am as surprised as the children when she gasps. Everyone looks up. The sleeves of her cardigan have been hacked with blunt blades, the cabled pattern unravelling in unruly ladders. Mrs Stafford’s mouth hangs open, eyes popping out from her aghast face.


“Who did this?” she demands, every ounce of school teacher authority weighing down her words, lowering her voice to an unfamiliar growl.


The classroom is silent at first: a sea of wide-eyed faces, scissors issued from Mrs Stafford’s drawer glinting in frozen hands— each child a potential culprit. Even I am unsure from where the first giggle bubbles up, from which child it erupts. The deliberate, strategic sound trips a cascade of sniggers, that swiftly builds to a crescendo− maniacal laughter driven by hysteria rather than amusement, until the whole classroom howls, fingers raised at Mrs Stafford like compass needles to a magnet. It occurs to me that I’ve never heard Grace laugh, or even seen her smile for that matter. When I look over her mouth is upturned in a parody of mirth, but her eyes are flat; dead fish floating in the glass bowls of her lenses.


Mrs Stafford gathers the ruined cardigan in her arms, and blinking back tears, rushes from the classroom.


*


I’ve been summoned to the activity room for a chat, at the end of the day when the last gaggle of children have dribbled through the school gates, taking with them their snotty noses and incessant, mindless questions. To my dismay, I find Mrs Stafford is already extracting staples from the wall display, removing the gruesome highlights I had painstakingly overseen. She has bounced back from this morning’s distressing incident with a flair of efficiency and purpose.


“Ah! Mercy,” she announces, in that overly bright way that heralds a difficult conversation. “I’d like to thank you for all your hard work.”


“It’s my pleasure, Mrs Stafford. I want to do the best job I possibly can. It’s what the children deserve.” I won’t make this easy for her.


“This is the first time you’ve worked in a classroom setting, isn’t it? Although you seem to know a lot of the families.”


“I’ve worked in many of their gardens, over the years. The families know me around here. They trust me.”


“It was very kind of you to step in at short notice to cover the vacancy. It looks like Malcolm won’t be coming back.”


I’m sick of hearing about Malcolm, the last classroom assistant, who never showed up at the start of term, and left his little riverside flat deserted. So what if the children adored him, if he played the piano in assemblies with unrivalled gusto, if the money he raised selling school raffle tickets was unsurpassed? The fact is, Malcolm wanted to plant a tasteless clump of pampas grass in his garden, in plain view of all the village. I did my best to deter him when he asked about mulching requirements, but he was stuck on the idea. The introduction of a species so invasive and unsightly would have been a heinous crime. So I nipped it in the bud. I recall how the fabric of his parka billowed and swelled as his body floated face down in the river’s current. Picturing the minnows nibbling his nose, I smile sagely.


“He’s definitely not coming back, Mrs Stafford.”


“The thing is, I think I’ll manage just fine until a permanent replacement is found. Someone with a bit more experience.”


“You’re firing me?”


“No! Not at all. I’m letting you go.”


“I had nothing to do with your cardigan being shredded.”


“Of course you didn’t. I would never suggest such a thing. It’s just that the vibe in the classroom has become a little…unnerving…since you’ve been with us.”


I blink, astonished by this precocious suggestion. Has she really no notion of the harm her weak, indulgent teaching methods are wreaking on the children’s developing brains? Is there no appreciation of the benefits my skill set offers?


Mrs Stafford reaches out and pats my arm, as if pacifying a pet. “I’m sure you’re a wonderful gardener, Mercy. Maybe it’s best to stick with what you know.”


We are interrupted by a sudden flurry of movement at the door. A furious bundle of energy hurtles in, outstretched arms pushing Mrs Stafford away so that she stumbles back into the stacked chairs with a clatter. Little hands grab mine and pull me through the doorway into the corridor, slamming closed the door behind us.


Mrs Stafford’s keys hang in a bundle from the lock. With Grace’s green eyes fixed upon me, I turn the activity room key, trapping Mrs Stafford inside.


*


There’s nothing like hands-on experience to consolidate learning. Why settle for a wall display when the re-enactment of a historical event is so much more sensory?


Grace skips beside me as I walk her home- I know the place, a shabby property on the dual carriageway approach, one window cracked across and taped, the front room always aglow with light from an enormous TV. This bright child has potential, and I fear her circumstances—and most likely her parents—hold her back. I will be sure to get to know them.


She asks a dozen questions as we walk, and I don’t mind answering them, because now I understand the rewards of teaching, the pleasure of feeding a hungry mind. Modern buildings have fire regulations, I explain. Destruction on the scale of the Great Fire of London is unlikely, these days. But take an environment rich in sources of fuel; a school building packed with paper supplies perhaps, and it will burn.


How sweet she had looked, waiting for the waste paper from the classroom bin to ignite, the flame’s twin reflections flickering in her glasses, her face alight with curiosity. How satisfying to have seen her unperturbed by Mrs Stafford’s clamouring, so intent she was on her task. It’s a shame that the rest of the children missed out. The wailing of fire engine sirens reminds me that at least I will have bestowed on them a colourful formative memory- the Great Village Fire.


I’ve never been muddled by maternal feelings. My role in this world is more noble than parenthood, my destiny more magnificent. But perhaps I could learn to care for a sensible, fearless child. A child like Grace.


Because Grace is amazing. 

March 23, 2023 13:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Kathryn Kahn
15:08 Mar 31, 2023

It's so interesting to have the story told by such a malevolent narrator. I am horrified and fascinated by her. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelsey H
06:57 Mar 31, 2023

I'm happy to see another story from you, esp about Mercy. She's such a great character, and memorable too - as soon as I was started I was like "Oh it's the psychopath gardener!" So I was kind of nervous to see you had let her loose on children this time, but I really enjoyed the unexpected pairing of her and Grace, it reminded me of a really dark version of Matilda at the end! I love your writing, so atmospheric and descriptive, and Mercy feels like a believable character, which is hard when writing someone 'evil'. I like the way you giv...

Reply

07:58 Apr 02, 2023

Hello Kelsey, thank you, I like your idea about Grace being a Matilda antiheroine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josephine Harris
12:20 Mar 30, 2023

Like the other reviewers I agree this is a very good piece. So good, in fact, that when reading it I'm reminded of Somerset Maugham, Margaret Atwood and some other authors. My daughter is a teacher so I have become aware of the "fine line between initiative and obedience". How wonderful it would have been as a child to have such a dedicated teacher; yet how dangerous :) Well done. I'm going to follow you because I definitely want more.

Reply

18:51 Mar 30, 2023

Hello Josephine, high praise indeed. Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
20:06 Mar 29, 2023

Oh such good descriptions! 'her eyes are flat; dead fish floating in the glass bowls of her lenses.' 'Children, like weeds, pop up irrepressibly between the pavement cracks of society, in wave after relentless wave. They must be disciplined, controlled, and occasionally eradicated, in order to manage their natural propensity to consume the world.' .... If they are like Grace- they certainly do! Congrats on making the recommended story list and good luck with the contest!

Reply

18:52 Mar 30, 2023

Thank you Marty B! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
01:35 Mar 29, 2023

Oh my God, I was expecting all the dark stories to moreso gravitate towards the Revenge Prompt, but here we are, at the Old v New prompt, and it's delightfully morbid. Great job!!

Reply

18:57 Mar 30, 2023

Hello E.B. I'm glad you enjoyed the morbid journey. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexandra Krop
19:53 Mar 25, 2023

Holy hell, that was good! Cecilia—you are a master of your craft. The way you weave together stunning images, create biting suspense, and pen such a gripping character in this story is truly inspiring. Hats off to you! And let's talk about that imagery for a second: "The scorched creature lies in a grotesque pile of twisted felt and pipe cleaner legs, a tiny pink tongue lolling from its open jaws." Like, come on... leave something for the rest of us! So many undercurrents of conversation around class and privilege are happening between...

Reply

18:59 Mar 30, 2023

Hi Alexandra, great suggestion about giving Grace more of a platform. Delighted you enjoyed the read. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:00 Mar 25, 2023

Uh, think I found the winner!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nathaniel Miller
12:36 Mar 25, 2023

Really nicely done, Cecilia. Mercy is incredibly interestingly characterized. Very interesting look into a psychopath, especially within a school setting. It’s incredibly hard - maybe even impossible - to make a character such as Mercy relatable, sympathetic to an audience. And you’ve created her in such a way that what she does is almost understandable. Excellent. And the writing, of course, is pure gold. Your imagery is truly outstanding; the board especially jumps out at you. Great piece, and thanks for sharing!!

Reply

16:36 Mar 25, 2023

Thank you Nathaniel! I enjoyed reading your take on the same prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philippa Hibberd
08:55 Mar 25, 2023

This gave me the shivers in a good way! Stories that explore the minds of serial killers are terrifying and compelling in equal measures, and Grace is just as creepy as Mercy, if not more so because she's a child. It's also a nicely ironic touch that your villain protagonist is named Mercy. Keep it up!

Reply

16:37 Mar 25, 2023

Thanks Phillippa, I'm happy to hear you felt shivers and creepiness :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:12 Mar 25, 2023

Mercy me! I’m surely going to hell for finding the diabolical outings of Mercy so magnetic. So happy to see an entry from you after a long break, Cecilia. And it was surely worth the wait. That display board paragraph was brilliant. The second best was the descriptors used for Grace’s eyes-words so alive, they literally jumped at me. And of course the entire piece was sharp and tight. Thanks for sharing this.

Reply

16:39 Mar 25, 2023

Hello Suma, it's great to be back and hear feedback from you. You've certainly been busy! Heading over to read some of what I've missed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
21:21 Mar 24, 2023

Tickled to see something new from you! And all the more so to see Mercy make another appearance. Her character is equally eloquent and disturbing, and that combination was amplified in a school setting with Grace as her little diabolical protégé. Your descriptions of the display board were incredible and sharp, and the themes of intelligence, twisted justice, and "hands-on" learning felt cohesive and tightly woven throughout the writing, the dialogue, and the plot. Excellent job.

Reply

16:41 Mar 25, 2023

Hey Aeris, always appreciative of your feedback. I'm glad Mercy hit the spot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
21:13 Mar 24, 2023

Mercy is back! The character voice is just how I remembered her from "Just Ask for Mercy" And she's got a new job..! That was fun! Great details about her recent victims too (poor dog and previous teacher!) The Mercy and Grace duo is giving me some Adams Family vibes... I'd watch the Netflix show! Absolutely loved this story - such a disturbing yet endlessly entertaining character to follow. And the way this story ended... there could be at least one other story for these two. Or a novel! :D Best of luck in the contest! PS: My favourite li...

Reply

16:43 Mar 25, 2023

Hello Riel, thank you for your faith in Mercy's potential. Hmm, you've got me thinking! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
02:09 Mar 24, 2023

An unhinged, murderous assistant, a strange child and a domineering teacher create a combustion both believable and terrifying—SO well done! Kudos!

Reply

18:36 Mar 24, 2023

Hello Molly, so glad you enjoyed reading this! Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
20:03 Mar 23, 2023

Now if ever a character deserved a second outing it is your Mercy from the prize winning "Just ask for Mercy" tale. I, and I'm sure many others, have been waiting patiently for your latest and this roared and crackled in a great blaze all of its own. Needless to say, Mercy is as frightening as ever and in her school setting, spinning learning into "sensory" experiences, even more so. More than anything, what hooks me is little amazing Grace. Who is she?!- I mull as I type. You're such a talent that I had to go back and check all the images y...

Reply

18:34 Mar 24, 2023

Hello Rebecca, thank you for welcoming Mercy back so eloquently! Maybe there is some more mileage. I really don’t know how she’s got away with everything so far, so she’d better be smart!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
19:04 Mar 23, 2023

AGGHHHHH!!! Oh my word. I am so glad I hated my submission for this contest because I am right now taking off my hat to you. This is awesome. The narrative voice is completely compelling, drew me right in, skillfully goes from sounding almost like she is really pretty cool with her Great Fire project, through the suggestions that it is in fact a bit much, to the hint about working people's gardens, to the final strokes - both the "learning experience" at the end and that suggestion that she needs to get to know Grace's parents. On that note...

Reply

18:27 Mar 24, 2023

Thank you Laurel! I apologise to you and all teachers for bringing foul deeds to the classroom.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:31 Mar 24, 2023

I am sure teachers everywhere applaud the foul deeds done for the cause of a good story. Good luck with this one for the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
15:37 Mar 29, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

18:56 Mar 30, 2023

Hello Veronica, you make an interesting comment about initially reading it as the viewpoint of a child. Mercy is a character from a previous story so she's well-developed in my head, and just kind of took over, as she is want to do. I would have added some earlier signposting based on your comments, give the chance. Thanks so much for reading and sharing your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.