A Day in The Life of A High School Kid

Submitted into Contest #198 in response to: Write a story that contains the phrase “Okay class! Pop quiz.”... view prompt

2 comments

High School

Okay Class! Pop Quiz. Instantly the class drops their heads, well all except for Tim Eisenhower. Tim Eisenhower is the classic "teacher's pet" character from one of the classic 80's movies, Ferris Bueller's Day's Off, I think of that film every time he raises his hand to speak. If there was a remake coming out Tim Eisenhower would definitely be an extra in that film. I've never actually seen the movie, but cover picture that pulls up online looks like a teacher's pet movie.

As Mr. Dominguez set's to open the quiz online via Canvas, he stresses that he will be monitoring our browser to minimize cheating. Instinctively my mind goes "minimize? So there's an opportunity for me to cheat, but it's just a brief second"... ugh. I only need 5 minutes to look up a answer, some answer, any answer. Why do we have a "pop quiz" in PE anyway. Should we just shoot basketball or something?? This is injustice and against the "kids be kids constitution" the 5th amendment prohibits pe teacher's from doing anything other than rolling out balls. Why does Mr. Dominguez want to be an over achiever teacher and make us learn about the importance of being physically fit? Doesn't he know that kids will stay fit ??? It's those adults that have to worry and I have at least 15 years left until I'm 30. I can wait until I'm 33 to start learning about being fit from Wikipedia faster than he teaches.

"Um... Mr. Dominguez can we use our notes" says Chevonne Ellerbee, a girl who around the classroom is known as the negotiator. Word on the street is she was recruited by the FBI to be a consultant until she is becomes of age to work legally. No matter what type of work the teacher assigns she goes into negotiation mode. This one time in 4th grade she negotiated the principal to give us an extra day home from school immediately following Thanksgiving break, funny thing was none of the parents seemed to like that idea. But that's another story, and right now I need to figure out how am I going to pass this quiz.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Oh brother there goes Braylon Batson. Always and I mean always using his pencil as if it was a drumstick. And the bad this about it his he sits directly behind me, and there was this one time he used the back of my chair as a cymbal. I quickly ended that concert and informed him there will be no drumming on my chair between 9:30 and 11:07am. Basically, the entire 2nd period. Oh that reminds me, if Mr. Dominguez is giving us a pop quiz then his 1st period would have taken it. YES, FINALLY a break. I can text Javon Johnson, as he always takes pictures of quizzes for moments like this.

As I reach in my pocket to pull out my phone, Lana Martin, the girl of my dreams, text me about her boyfriend issues again. Why can't she just see that I'm the one for her. Like, I have only had a crush on her since the 1st grade. Every since we shared that one skittles bag, I knew it was love, from the 1st bite. But no time to fantasize about her, I have a quiz to cheat on.

Me: yo bro. What about this quiz?

Javon: ???

Me: Mr. Dominguez....pop quiz

Javon: yo really?? He didn't give us one.

Wtf???? Mr. Dominguez didn't give 1st period a pop quiz, but gives 2nd period one? What's the Mr.??? Ok, that solves it I'm.... and before I could finish my thought, I hear Jenny Foxworth screaming out: "Excuses me, but sir may I please be excused to the restroom?", Jenny is the class skipper. She rarely comes to class, and when she does she leaves after 10 minutes and returns 5 minutes before class is over. No doubt that's her plan now. Jenny-Lou is what they call her because she habitually skips with the bathroom excuse. "Clear everything off your desk, except your computer's" Mr. Dominguez says simple ignoring Jenny's requests.

Oh no. This means means the quiz is ready and about to commence. I still haven't found one plausible way to cheat. I guess this is the end for me, as one more bad grade in this class will result in my permanent failure for the year. What am I going to do? Because my mom is going to kill me if I fail this class again. Why do I always put myself in these situations. The last time I failed a this class she took my phone for an entire week, and disconnected the wifi. I barely survived that week, and I refuse to be tortured like that again. Wait, I have an idea all I have to do is ask if this test has multiple attempts. From there, Chevonne will take over a negotiate the number of attempts. If we can get multiple attempts I will answer randomly on the first attempt in order to see which questions were incorrectly answered, from there it's process of elimination.

Ok here goes, "The quiz is open and you will have two attempts on it. None of the answers will be revealed however, so make sure you use both attempts wisely. ", says Mr. Dominguez. And crash and burn goes that plan, so now I am all alone with this quiz and my thoughts. My day was going perfectly fine until Mr. Dominguez uttered those horrible four words. Why do teacher's think it's ok to give pop quizzes or even quizzes for that matter. Aren't they aware of testing anxiety issues and performance anxiety complexities? But, no more time to complain the moment is here. The first question pops across the screen and my mind instantly and immediately goes to work. Challenging but manageable on the second and third, forth, and final fifth. Wow, that was way easier than I anticipated. I feel confident enough that I won't have to use my second attempt. Ok time to push submit, and my correct answers were...

May 14, 2023 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rudy Greene
22:41 May 24, 2023

Amusing, very fast paced. Need to take a breath. Does encapsulate anxiety. R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rabab Zaidi
01:24 May 21, 2023

Very interesting. Exam anxiety so well captured ! Well done Rishaad !

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.