0 comments

Coming of Age Drama

“You wanna do something fun?” Jackie said as she gave her friend Sammy a mischievous look. Jackie gestured towards Sammy with a baseball bat, she stared at it for a moment and then looked at Mason, her ex-boyfriend, who they’d tied up to a chair in his garage. She then turned her attention to his brand new BMW, Mason looked terrified and begged Sammy to think about what she was doing.

Sammy was finishing up her makeup as the doorbell rang. “Sammy,” Her mother called,

 “Mason is here.” Sammy jumped with excitement and ran downstairs as fast as she could, trying not to fall in the black wedges she wore to complement her little black dress. Finding Mason waiting for her near the door, he wore khaki pants with a blue, button down shirt, holding a rose for Sammy. She blushed, she felt so lucky to be with a boy so sweet and kind to her. Mason presented her with the rose and said, “I thought I’d give you a flower that was just as beautiful as you.” “That’s so cringey, but romantic.” She commented. He answered with a kiss on the hand, “You bring out the romance in me.”  

Mason took Sammy to a nice Italian restaurant where they talked for hours. “So how are your classes going?” he asked.

“Pretty good, I generally like them, except I’m struggling in precalculus. It seems math just doesn’t like me.”

“Wow Imagine being bad at math,” he commented, rolling his eyes.

“Hey! Meanie.”

He laughed, “I’m just kidding, maybe you just need some extra help, my friend Kyle is a tutor if you want me to talk to him.”

“That would be great, thanks. Is that the friend who is the Captain of the soccer team you're on?”

“Yeah, he’s a really good captain. Hopefully next year I can be half as good as he is.”

“I know you can.” He smiled in response.

“So the team has our play off game this weekend, out of state and an overnight trip so I’ll have to miss our date night. I hope that’s okay?” he asked.

“Of course! Don’t be silly, hey maybe I can drive to one of the games and cheer you on?”

“Oh no, no, no, no, it’s fine.”

“Really? I don’t mind?”

“No, it’s much too far, but it’s sweet to want to come. I’ll see you when we get back.”

“Okay.” They finished up the meal and walked back to the car, a brand new BMW Mason had gotten for his birthday. Sammy was never jealous but always thought it was a bit much for a birthday gift. Once they got in the car Sammy grabbed Mason’s hand, she leaned up giving him a kiss. A long, loving kiss.

“What was that for?” he wondered. 

“Mason, when I’m with you I just feel like this is how it’s supposed to be, I feel home.” 

“I feel that too, you’re my everything. I love you Sam.” 

“And I love you.” They shared another kiss before he started the car, Sammy held his hand the whole way home wanting to keep hold on the moment forever. 

The weekend went by as fast as Sammy expected but not like she always hoped, never ending. She walked to the first period sitting next to her best friend Jackie who she’d known since they were kids. 

“Hey, Sammy.”

“Hi, how you doing?”

“Fantastic, I literally spent all weekend doing absolutely nothing.” Jackie leaned back in her chair putting her feet on the desk, “And I don’t plan to start.” 

“You do you, hey did you do the math homework?” Sammy asked as she pulled it out of her bag. 

“Yeah it was kinda easy.”

“Really, I struggled, good thing I’m getting help from Kyle later today.”

“Kyle, isn’t he on the soccer team with your boyfriend?”

“Yeah, we’re meeting today hopefully he can help.”

After school Sammy walked over to Kyle who was hard at work on his laptop in the library.

“Hey, Kyle it’s Sam.” She offered a hand. He accepted.

“Hi, how ya doing?” 

“Good, you.” 

“Good. So you need some math help Mason said?”

“Yeah, I suck at math. Hey congrats by the way.”

He chuckled, “Thanks, but for what?”

“The weekend game of course, you guys won and are moving on in the play-offs, right?”

“Did Mason tell you that? the play-offs haven’t even started yet.”

“So you didn’t have a game this weekend?”

“No.”

“Huh, I don’t know why he would lie, but there’s probably a reason. Would you give me like ten minutes to go talk to him?”

“Yeah of course I’ve got nowhere else to go.” Sammy walked outside to the parking lot trying to get past all the students getting to their buses. She walked to the student parking lot to find Mason’s BMW. She saw him in the front seat, but as she got closer she noticed someone else was in the car with him. Just a friend, right? Then as she got closer to what she had been trying to ignore, they were smiling, laughing, and kissing. She felt a rush of emotions flowing through her body all at once. She couldn’t understand what she was seeing, what was happening, and if it was really real. 

She opened his door which drew his attention to her. He was very confused and was scared of what was to come next so tried to speak first.

“I know how this may look but I swear I can explain.” Sammy locked her eyes on his as she began to cry.

“We’re done.” Then she ran away, far, far away. 

Later at home she heard a knock at the door as she cried while eating ice cream. Her mom opened the door and it was Jackie.

“Oh my god, Sammy I’m so sorry. I can’t believe Mason cheated on you, what a jerk.”

“He was so perfect Jackie, I knew it was too good to be true. Literally the weekend before we had told each other I love you. And I completely believed, god I hate him.”

“Yeah, you let it all out. He is a total bastard.”

“The worst part is that stupid car, that’s where we said it, right in his stupid car we proclaimed our deep inner love for each other. And where did he decide to french some random girl, in the stupid car! Oh I hate that car!” Sammy started to cry but she wiped away her tears as she saw something begin to grow in Jackie’s eyes. “Jackie, I know that look, what are you thinking?”

“I have an idea, come with me.”

“You wanna do something fun?” Jackie said as she gave Sammy a mischievous look. Jackie gestured towards Sammy with a baseball bat, she stared at it for a moment and then looked at Mason, her ex-boyfriend, who they’d tied up to a chair in his garage. She then turned her attention to his brand new BMW, Mason looked terrified and begged Sammy to think about what she was doing. Sammy ignored him, leaning down until her face was right in front of his, her eyes looking directly into his soul, she grinned from ear to ear. Then whispered, “Sorry not sorry, it was your decision to break my heart.” She grabbed the baseball bat, “Jackie, let’s have some fun.”

October 09, 2021 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.