WORKING WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT

Written in response to: Start your story with someone sharing a secret that has a big impact on everyone.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Fiction Speculative

Marina and Conchita both entered the manufacturing industry since they reached the age of eighteen leaving their parents after graduating from high school. Inside the factory where they worked consisted of different electronic materials to be recycled. Marina was driving a forklift and Conchita was a picker of the materials run by machines with conveyors. Early that morning where Conchita was assigned the big empty circular tank draw out the materials to be pick and here Conchita infront of the conveyor was ready for picking. She was wearing a protective mask, not to inhale dust and other invisible particles that may enter into her nose down to her lungs. The mask would really keep the pure and fresh air which is filtered by the mask. Conchita was assigned to pick electric wires ordinarily use in computers and telephones she will pass along other materials like plastic batteries and motherboard. Motherboard are the green materials inside the computers when they are opened. These recycled materials are saleable in the market. Buyers maybe local and exported to other countries. Imagine barrels of lithium batteries are filled but the one who is in charge to handle the storage must be careful of the lead content although there is a yearly checkup including all employees to be sure their employees were safe. The machine started to run and Conchita grabbed all the wires that she could grab but the others seem to be picking smoothly, doesn't mind if not all piece of material they suppose to pick had pass them. Conchita keep picking and minded what she was doing. At noon her bin was half filled but the others were just at 1/4 level of their container bins. The Lead Hand came to check each bin and smilingly approached Conchita, "Could you come back on Monday?" he asked. "Of course, Conchita answered. In her mind the thought of paying her bills came up. she could get by with this job. She continued working on that machine for the following two months. Marina has to pull out the bins when they are filled and drive them to the storage room to be ship out on one container when it was full. As Marina drove around she has to follow the painted yellow lines on her route back and forth to look into the safety of pedestrians as they moved to other work station. Forklift Operators had to honk and put on their lights when passing doors. During breaktime , snacks and lunchtime Marina and Conchita met at the lunchroom. They have reserved a spot where they put their lunch bags so they could sit right away, if not they have to be looking a spot and all seats may have been taken, but they can go to the other room which will take their time. Sitting together Marina relates what she heard to Conchita. With caution she said, One of our forklift operators is gone or one picker is gone." "What do you mean?" Conchita asked. "Don't you feel once the Supervisor is eyeing to someone that she doesn't like, she's gone" Marina whispered." I'm not scared the Lead Hand tells I could tell her if I have a problem." Conchita didn't know that there iwas a company policy that states a Supervisor has the power to hire and the power to terminate an employee. On what ground? It was not specified. Still Conchita was not intimidated of what Marina said. She knew she is the fastest picker by picking one specific material like rain and that nobody can do that. "Don't be too sure if the Supervisor is eyeing at you." Marina insisted. "As long as I'm doing my job, I'll be safe." Conchita reassured. One day a company video crew came up where Marina is working and they set big spotlights and one was focus to her. When the video was about to start the Production Manager came up and stood at the end assuming she is watching how Conchita is picking the materials. She has to put materials in big and small bins and what is left went straight to the garbage bin. This had been going on at work for these two friends until one day Conchita felt the pressure when newly hired employees asked her to do something instead she must be the one to tell them what to do. She kept doing what she used to do. Left and right she was watch by the machine operator and other co-workers that they even tried to take her place while picking up the materials. She threw the materials so hard to the bins so they called the Lead Hand. The girls were moved to other work station and Conchita continued what she is doing. Marina kept telling her" I told you already, she is now eyeing at you," But Conchita did what she is suppose to do. Until one day she was called to the Human Resources Office and the Supervisor presented complaints against her by her co-workers. She submitted her explanation to her Supervisor and a copy furnished to the Human Resources Manager. Few days passed the co-worker who complained was sent home and haven't been seen on the premises. ever since, Nobody talked about it afraid of retaliation by the Supervisor. Workers no longer get the benefits like before with the existing rule of hiring and firing legislated for business owners. The automotive industry brought this to the legislative body because Labor Unions have cause to cease operations due to long strikes and demand for higher wages Business owners took this opportunity to hire temporary workers when the business operation was busy or issue work contracts and let workers go if the contract is finished. Where will the labor force go now when they are no longer protected? The most affected are those who are about to retire and the new legislation abolished the mandatory retirement of age sixty five to work until capable of working. Although the existing rule of working continuously for thirty years still prevails automatically you can retire.

Where does the dignity and respect apply to workers when they are terminated without a cause that their work performance depends whether the supervisor will like them or not? Would you think that Supervisor's also use the buddy system and form her group to intimidate newly hired workers or target a co-worker that they don't like? This is bullying, don't you think so? If workers doesn't like to work what can the government do to increase revenues and businesses cannot reach their maximum productions? The labor unrest goes on, not only this time but in the past. The future is bleak for the present when workers no longer enjoy the full benefits, wages for them will be low working from one employer to another employer, doing multiple task at a time

August 27, 2022 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.