2 comments

Crime Fiction High School

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. The trees were blackened, the leaves now golden with flame. Ashes flew like snowfall. I watched the flames rise higher, burning the grass, burning everything except a path of stone in front of me, leading to the school.

"That insane motherfu"- I run along the path, hearing screams and cries of my classmates. The flames somehow create a wall around me, protecting me from the danger but still reminding me of the heat that can kill me at any moment.

I can see my classmates run the opposite way from me. They can't see me through the wall, or maybe they can, but they can't focus on me, as the entire school yard is set ablaze.

The smoke is rising so high, the sky is nothing but dark clouds. The only light being the amber flames around us. I didn't think this would actually happen, this wasn't SUPPOSED to happen! It was just a joke.

I know my friend did this. It can only be him, who would be crazy enough to do this. But then again, I can't blame him...

It was only a week ago when I joked to him, "I'm tired of everyone picking on me... I just want to set this place on fire already." I remember sighing angrily, rubbing a sore injury on my arm from another session of bullying.

"Like, arson?" My best friend, Kyle, said a little too excitedly. I could already see a spark in his eyes but I paid no mind to it. "Yeah I guess. If that's what it takes to burn this place down."

He only grinned "Then let's do it! Next week, I'll go get the gasoline, you'll get the matches." I only laughed at him, "Your acting as if we're actually doing this."

He only gave me a lopsided grin at me, not saying anything else. When we separated the bullying continued. I really don't understand why they bothered me. I've done nothing to them!

I wasn't handsome, I wasn't popular, I wasn't even smart. So why pick me? It's so annoying at this point, to be hurt for no reason. At one point, I was pushed down the stairs. Falling face first onto the ground.

I groaned in pain, feeling the blood drip from my noise. I clutched it as I heard laughter...LAUGHTER!? These people did nothing to help, so I had to pick myself up and rush to the infirmary. The nurse patched me up, but didn't believe me when I told her what happened.

I was checked for his arm injury as well, but was sent straight back to class. My nose felt so sore, honestly I thought it was broken but the nurse said otherwise.

I walked into class, the first thing I was scolded for by the teacher for being late. Seriously? I know its math class but this teacher doesn't have to be so stereotypical. "Why are you late?!" he screamed causing me to flinch.

"Ma'am, do you not notice my nose is broken?" I glared, she just stared back. "Don't talk to me like that young man, just go to your seat" I heard the other students chuckle. I just couldn't take it any more so just ran off. I heard the teacher call out to me but I just kept running, running past Kyle apparently.

"Hey! Bro where are you-" His fades out. I just kept running till I'm somehow all the way home. Slamming my door shut and sliding down, feeling the exhaustion kick in...

I didn't come to school for a few days after that. Using the excuse to heal from my injuries and to just lay in bed. Kyle visited me a lot, I remember him talking about some of my bullied picking on him next because I wasn't there. I felt guilty, but said it was fine. That it didn't bother him.

Looking back now I think he was lying. But he always reassured me, saying something along the lines of "They'll get what's coming" or "Karma will be coming for them." in such a happy tone, it was off-putting.

I guess I know why.

Because next Monday evening, I heard my mother call to me in worry, about a fire being set off in school. I was panicked as all hell, why? Because my best friend is still in that school!

I ran off against my mother's wishes and headed straight to school, calling Kyle with my phone. It only took a few rings before he picked up. "Hey dude-" his voice was distorted by the sounds of people screaming and roar of…fire? "Kyle! Get out of there!" I yelled at him.

The fire could be seen from here, it's so bright. I ran past scared civilians as I took the path that was the safest, I don't know what it was, but it provided me with walls and a roof to protect me from any coming flames.

"Kyle where are you? You need to get out of the school!" I could still hear the roar of fires but it was turning more faint. "I am out bro! Just in front of the school, actually" he said in a cheery voice.

"Are you safe?" I whispered in worry. "Yeah obviously, but like. I'm not AWAY from the fire. I poured enough gasoline so it only hit those assholes and the school but not the entrance where I am." I stopped in my tracks.

He…what? "YOU WHAT?" I screamed my thoughts louder. "I told you man! I'd be bringing the gasoline and you were supposed to bring the matches. It wasn't part of the plan for some idiot to throw a cig bud." he explained so, calmly.

"Kyle why-" he cut me off "I'll explain at the school. I made a pretty great pathway, meet you there Niall!" he ends the call. This was weird enough. The school was on fire, my best friend caused it, and he called me by my name.

That's where we continue to me running along said path, walls of fire surrounding me and the school's entrance front and centre. And right there in front of me? My best friend Kyle, sitting idly on a large dumpster he must've wheeled in. Smiling happily.

"Niall! Hey bro you made it!" He jumped down running over to me. "Kyle, you're fucking insane!" I shouted. Pushing him away when he attempted to hug me. "What? But dude, I did this for you. Just like you asked. Burned the school down! Just a little arson." he announced proudly.

"A little arson, caused a lot of death!" I gesture around me, only now noticing the burned bodies that surround me. "That's the point!" he grinned wildly, he jumped up onto the dumpster arms stretched. "We can FINALLY live without anyone bothering us! No bullies, no dumb teachers. And look, I only choose some of them to burn." Pointing at a body that was clearly the guy who pushed me down the stairs.

"Come on, you know you wanted this too. I just fulfilled your wish." He crouched and held a hand out to me. "Just kings, you and me. Causing some chaos here and there to anyone who bothers us. Rulers of flame!" I can't help but laugh...he's right I guess.

I feel my own smile reach my lips. As insane, as terrible this is. The satisfaction of a job well done is something I enjoy. The adrenaline from the heat of the flames and the destruction I'll soon cause excites me.

I reach out and grabbing onto his hand "I'm in." he pulls me up onto the dumpster, and we stand there proudly, looking at our new kingdom of ash and ember. "So what's next" I ask "More arson?"

Kyle laughs, "Hell yeah! It's a date."

My face flushed red as fire as I turn to him. "Wait what-"

And that's, how me and Kyle ended up being the most wanted teenagers in our cities. The Kings of Flame is what we call ourselves now.

THE END

October 15, 2020 16:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Matt Render
03:31 Oct 22, 2020

There is nothing to heighten this story.. There is no conflict or tension. You need to give your characters more depth, rather than just being one dimensional victims. Maybe even if there was a fight between the narrator and 'Kyle' about actually going through with it...

Reply

Lucinda Serenity
18:05 Oct 22, 2020

Oh thanks! I'll keep that in mind. This story is just a random oneshot (or I guess two shot?) so I didn't put in too much thought into the story. I appreciate this alot though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.