Bad Luck can be Better

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write about someone who’s desperately trying to change their luck.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Science Fiction

Luck really isn't my thing. All my life has been a disaster, a tornado incoming every minute. Sometimes a flood of embarrassment also comes with the package, adding onto the already-bad-enough tornado. I feel like I was born with this bad luck. Everyday at lunch I spill some water or mashed potatoes on me, and tests in school always lower my grade form a B to a C. I hate it. To be honest that's all I have to say about my life. I really hate it. I always wish that I could swap bodies with a famous influencer or even my brother who gets everyone to like him. It seems as if he's the opposite of me. Instead of identical twins, it's like opposite twins.

I freeze. I remember that today is a school day, and not a weekend. Just as I was thinking of how unlucky I am, I get something unlucky happen to me right away. I squeeze my eyes closed with rage and ball up my fists. Why... Again?! I wearily glance at my clock, knowing that I'm late. Yep. The time is 8:05 and school has started five minutes ago. I groan and I stomp my way to my dresser to get changed. Right after another unlucky scenario comes another one. There are no pants. There's only my pants that I spilled fruit punch all over. It's also in the hamper, so it must smell horrible. On top of that, it's completely white. So the red stain is clearly visible and everyone would probably stare at it, just like yesterday. My bullies constantly taunted me after that.

"You're so clumsy!" they snickered. I just stood there. I tried to look for a witty and clever comeback, but because of my bad luck, I couldn't find anything. It really just sucked.

After I'm done with getting changed, brushing my teeth, and eating breakfast, I walk for the door. I notice my jacket on the rack so I grab it. It's a long winter coat and it's almost summer so I'll look stupid. At least it will cover up the stain. I decide to put on the coat after some time and I grab my backpack. Then I run out the door to race all the way to school.

I finally reach high school and it's completely empty. There's no one outside at least. I grab onto the door handle, ready to open the door and get humiliated by my first period teacher.

"Hey, kid." a voice behind me whispers. He sounds a bit sketchy, but I ignore it.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"I heard you've got bad luck."

"...I do."

"Well, I've got something for you." The sketchy man takes a vial out of his pocket with lime green liquid inside of it. It's even glowing a bit.

"What's that? Is it bad for you?" I ask him with curiosity.

"It can cure bad luck." he grins, a golden tooth showing. He looks very shady so I'm a bit hesitant. He didn't answer my question whether it's bad for you or not. That was a red flag.

"Tell me more about it before I can fully trust you. Also about yourself." I snap quickly. He looks shocked, and he probably thought that I was a stupid teenager that would trust him with one small conversation. If he really thought that, I would beat him up and show him I'm more than that.

"Just take it."

"No." I try to get away by entering the school building, but he follows me inside. "You're not allowed inside!" I shout at him.

"I said..." he begins. "Just. Take it." Now I know that he's dangerous so I start to try and slip away. He grabs onto my long coat so I slip onto my back. My back now hurts and I wince in pain.

"That hurt..." I mumble. Suddenly, I see the vial open and the green liquid starts pouring out into my face. The toxic acid burns my eyes and tears start coming out. It's too painful for me to get up and run away, and eventually my whole world goes black.

I wake up in a white room that is empty. I look around and realize that my hands are tied together behind the chair I'm sitting on. I start to struggle my way out, but suddenly, the ropes retract so my hands go in place again. Then I realize what's happening. I'm in an empty room... I wasn't here before... I was kidnapped! I panic and start to cry out of frustration in myself, and because I could possibly die soon.

Somebody walks in the room. They stand before me and stare. I stare back, waiting for them to speak. Finally they do.

"Hello, I heard you have bad luck." they tell me.

"The man who poured that painful green... What ever it is on me said that." I grumble.

"Well, that green liquid makes all of your bad luck go away."

"Yeah right,"

"Do you want to test it out?"

"As long as I won't get hurt." They start to drag my chair to a place with lots of giant thorns placed at random spots.

"As long as I don't get hurt." I repeat. They nod. Then, they push me into an ice rink with all of the thorns on it. I close my eyes, expecting the worst. But when I open them again, I'm at the other side, unharmed.

"What... What happened?! Why didn't I get stabbed?!" I shout, astonished.

"The green liquid." they tell me.

It's been many years since that incident. I now have nothing negative happen to me, so life is now way too boring. I wish I never thought that bad luck was awful, or else the man wouldn't have poured the green liquid on me. I regret this all and I wish I hadn't wished for the best luck. I get everything, and though I am rich now, I don't like this. I wish I still had bad luck and I wish that I were still clumsy. Even when I try to trip, I don't. It's incredibly strange and I really want to turn back time when I was younger and not take my bad luck for granted.

June 17, 2021 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Retee Satish
03:00 Jun 26, 2021

Wow! This story was fantastic Saya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshara P
22:45 Jun 25, 2021

This story was amazing! Welcome to reedsy! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.