A girl named Spring

Written in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

One upon a time, in a world full of dragons and mythical creatures was a girl named Spring. Spring was not like other people.

Spring has a pink flower that grows on her head. The whole town whispers will about her.

"That girl is cursed!" A woman snarled.

"She's a hideous monster!" A man growled. Every kid in town would run away from her. Screaming and yelling.

"Ahh, it's the witch!" They would scream, "Run away!"

Spring doesn't understand why people hate her so much. She was just like everyone else but with a flower on her head. No one wanted to talk to her or be her friend.

One day on a lazy day, Spring was sitting in her dark cozy house. The sun spreads its light through the window.

Spring lives near Fairy town, a town full of beautiful fairies. Spring looks at the meadow. Flowers danced around with the wind.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Spring looked at the door, wondering who could be at the door.

"Maybe it's the goblins again." She sighed. Spring walked over to the door. Spring opened the door.

No one was at the door. She looked down at her tan mattress. A white envelope was on the ground.

Spring picked it up. "This has to be a prank." She growled. Spring opened the envelope. Inside the letter was a white sheet of paper that says: Hello, Miss Spring, we welcome you to the Whispering Petals! We would love your help!

Spring closes the door. Sighing, she puts the paper on her wooden desk. "I hope this isn't a prank."

She puts on her green shoes to match her pastel green summer dress. She went out the door.

Spring has seen the Whispering Petals before but she has never been inside of it. She walked past it so many times. Now, she was finally going inside to see what is going on.

The Whispering Petals was nestled beside a magical forest full of werewolves and unicorns.

Spring was now standing in front of the building. Bailing up her fist, she walked to the door. "This better not be a prank." She repeated.

She opened the door. Everywhere she looked, she saw glowing flowers all over the place. Spring took a glance at the counter. A young goblin and a elf girl was waiting for her.

The elf had short pink hair with a pink apron dress. The goblin had a black and white collar pullover. He had a mop of curly hair.

The elf went over to Spring with her hand stretched out. "Hi! It's so nice to meet you!" She shook Spring's hand.

"So, my name is Willow and his name is August. You might be Miss Spring, am I correct?"

August went up to her with a kind smile on his face. "A pleasure to meet you."

Spring shook his hand. "So, why am I here?"

Willow puts her hands on her shoulder. "We see you walk past our shop everyday. You look really sad."

Spring hung her head. "Yeah, everyone hates me for some reason."

August walked up to her. "Hey, it's okay. Some people will only judge you by your looks but never by your personality."

"It's true," Willow says, "But no matter what, you have to show people that looks don't really matter."

Before Spring could talk, the door opened. A knight has came in with a letter in his hand.

"Mr August and Miss Willow," He reads. "You two are welcomed to the princess's royal ball. Tonight at 8."

The knight shook their hands and left. Willow turned her head to Spring. "I don't know if you're going or not," She told her. "We will take you anyway just in case."

They walked out the door. Willow closed the door behind her and locked it. "The castle is not that far." She told Spring.

They passed a couple of pine trees. Spring looked ahead to a huge building. All the mythical creatures were lined up to go to the royal ball. When they were close to the castle, everyone was inside.

August looked at Spring with a smile. "Hey, it's okay," He smiled. "Just be yourself and everything will be okay." Spring was nervous. Everyone knew about her flower and knew what people would say about it. Just thinking about it makes her angry and scared.

"All I have to do is be myself." She told herself. When they made it to the castle, a knight was standing outside the gate.

"You two are welcome to the ball." He told Willow and August. "But you, young lady, must go. We don't you to ruin our night."

Spring hung her head. Willow reached out to Spring.

"She's with us." She told the knight. A young woman with long brown hair with a long dress came to the gate.

"What seems to be the problem?" She asked.

The knight pointed to Spring. "She's a witch," He pointed. "Look for yourself."

He points to her pink flower. The princess took a look at Spring. "I have never seen you before." She smiled. "All of you, come in and enjoy!" The knight rolls his eyes at Spring as he lets her by.

When they walked in, everyone gasped. All eyes were fixed on Spring. Spring feels ashamed.

Her flower starts to change colors.Everyone seems to be interested. Spring's flower changed to blue.

Everyone started to ask her how it changes colors. Spring shrugs her shoulders. "How about we dance?"

All of the people were on the dance floor. Spring started to dance with the princess all night with Willow and August.

They got out of the castle to sit on the castle balcony to look at the beautiful stars. Willow looks at the princess.

"Would you like to work at the Whispering Petals with us?" She asked. The princess smiles.

"Of course."

Spring hung her head. "Are you not scared of me?"

The princess looks at her. "No, why should I?"

"I have a flower on my head."

The princess puts her warm hand on her cheeks. "I don't care if you have a flower on your head. Besides, you look really cute like that. Just because other people don't like you, doesn't mean the whole world does. No one was born into this world to be alone. That's why you have friends to support and love you."

Spring smiled at her. She gave her a hug. "Thank you."

From that day on, Spring has found new friends. Together, they had wonderful picnics and walked to the meadows.

They lived happily ever after.

March 23, 2024 02:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.