0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Happy

Dr.Ravi got up early as usual and peeped through the window curtain. The rain had stopped and it was going to be bright and sunny. He did 50 pushups, checked his weight and got ready. He dressed himself in a T shirt over pants and looked into the mirror. He was handsome though nearing 50. He was bald and clean shaven except for a dense moustache. He locked his house and walked to a restaurant for his breakfast. As he ate he recalled the day when after having breakfast he had found he had forgotten his purse. He had told the restaurateur he would come back with the money and would leave his phone till then. The restaurateur had refused to accept the phone saying they trusted him. Finishing at the restaurant he walked to his clinic which was a short distance away.

Nurse Grace was at her post and wished him as he entered. He wished her back and asked “How is your varicose vein pain?”

She said “No problem now.”

He got into his room and sat at his table.

The first patient came in. Grace had entered her details. Name: Renu. Age:39.

She said “Good morning doctor. I’m Renu.”

He wished her back and saw she was good looking. He said laughing “You look healthy. What is your ailment?”

She said “I’m at times losing feeling in my fingers. Could it indicate an oncoming stroke?”

He called Grace to hold Renu’s hand and checked her fingers. He made her raise and lower her hand a few times and again checked. Grace brought some ice from the fridge and Ravi made Renu hold the ice and checked. Then he said “I don’t see anything wrong. It could be something transient.” He looked into her details and said “You’re only nearing forty. Don’t fear a stroke. I’ll prescribe some tablets. Take them for a week. I’ll check again.”

Renu settled the fee with Grace and left. Other patients came in and he got busy.

The next time she came it was late in the evening and the place was empty. She heard a violin being tuned and Grace said “The doctor is with his violin. He is a music lover. I’ll send you in in a minute.”

Grace opened Ravi’s door and signed to Renu to go in. Ravi was putting his violin back in its case.

He asked “Madam do you see any improvement?”

“Nothing significant.”

He said “Continue the same medication for a fortnight.”

Four days later she was back at Ravi’s clinic. She told Grace “I’ve come to see the doctor about music.”

Ravi was surprised to see her. She said “Doctor I also learnt music and when I saw you were handling a violin I wanted to invite you to a program at my house next Sunday. That is if you’re free and feel inclined. A band consisting of the lead singer VV and 3 women artistes will sing the songs of saint Thyagaraja.”

He was thoughtful a few moments and then asked “Where do you live?”

She gave her location which was a gated exclusive place and he said “I’m interested in music. I’ll come with my violin if I can join.”

She said “You’re most welcome. Please come around 4 in the evening.”

He arrived at 4 but the musicians hadn’t. He sat chatting with Renu when he wanted to know if there was no one else in the house.

“No. I live alone. My aunty comes to help when required.” She said pointing to a photo on the wall “That my mother who was a performer of Carnatic music and introduced me to it.”

He got up and looked.

He then looked at the next photo and asked “Is this your family?”

She said “It was. My husband and our 2 children died in a car crash while we were in Germany.”

He saw she was sad and said “I’m sorry I raked up sad memories.”

She said “It is over 2 years ago. I’ve got over the trauma.”

He asked “Madam are you employed?”

She said “No. My husband has adequately provided for me.”

The music group arrived and Renu made the introductions. The lead singer VV said “Please play the violin to accompany us.”

 Ravi at once pulled out his violin and sat with them. The first song was over when VV said “You seem to be an expert at playing the violin.”

“My mother created the interest in me and I took lessons. I‘ve been out of practice but have taken up music again.”

Ravi was very happy with the musicians and joined them when Renu invited them to dinner.  As they ate Ravi said to VV “I once knew a Japanese gentleman who played the violin. He had brought it all the way from Tokyo and he said pointing to his violin ‘I never travel without my second wife’. That was the extent of his attachment to music.”

Renu asked “I overheard talk about a second wife.”

Ravi told her “I’m equally attached to my violin but ‘she is my one and only wife’!”

 Renu got her driver to drop Ravi back. She said “After the car accident in Germany I’ve given up driving.”

Only four days later Renu was again with Ravi. She said “My aunty went to see her friend Dr.Sofia who is ailing and I went with her. Sofia said she knew you well.”

I said “She is settled a long distance away. I’m also planning to visit her soon.”

But next Sunday Renu told Ravi that Sofia had passed away. Ravi wanted to lay a wreath and Renu said “I’ll go with you.”

She was driving the car when she came to pick Ravi up. She said “The driver is sick.”

They laid wreaths and condoled with the family. On their way back Ravi said “I’m emotionally upset: I nearly married Sofia but she wanted children and that shut me off. My mother had also some proposals for marriage for me. She had wanted to see grandchildren and I knew a wife would be disappointed if she didn’t produce children. I turned down all her proposals.”

He was in a somber mood and there was no further talk. Renu dropped Ravi back.

Ravi continued with his medical practice. That day a man came and said he was from a particular political party and wanted a donation. Ravi gave a small amount when he demanded much more. Ravi refused when the man picked up the folded stethoscope from the table and threw it at Ravi. Ravi was furious and getting up punched the fellow who produced a knife and came at Ravi. Ravi defended himself but was cut on the arm and shoulder. Grace had locked the door and the assailant couldn’t escape. A crowd gathered and the man was caught by the police. On questioning it was found that he was an impostor and didn’t belong to any party.

 Grace admitted Ravi in hospital and was treated for stab injuries. Renu came to know of the attack only the next day.

Renu was sad and said to Ravi “You’re alone and so am I. I know you like me.”

He could see she had sort of proposed to him.

Ravi said “Renu I like you a lot. If you’ll have me…….”

She didn’t wait for him to finish and said “I agree.”

“But we hardly know each other.”

“Sofia had endorsed you and I saw how sincere you were. I remember what you told VV about your ‘wife’. I’ll be your first wife every way.”

Ravi was very happy.  He asked “What about the loss of feeling in the fingers?”

“With a doctor in the house I won’t worry.”

END

August 29, 2023 14:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.