2 comments

High School Horror Fiction

        All For A Clean Classroom

*This story was written by my friend, he wishes to be left anonymous*

You see, I like my life, It's always been simple and easy. I didn’t have to pay attention to the details of it. But ever since I moved to Kematian Middle School things have been different. I don’t exactly know how but they have. I get this uneasy feeling thing whenever I walk into the school. You know the feeling of being watched right?

 Anyway, this time I had to stay late after class to help clean up. Every day one person is selected to stay late and clean. This time it was me. Nothing ever happened to the other kids who were selected so why did I feel worried. It was getting dark and this stupid kid named Derrick was always making a mess. I was tired and really just wanted to go home. Everything around me seemed to fog up. Like there was some kind of smoke filling the room. But when I blinked it was all gone. This was discouraging. I panicked. I was cleaning up faster now. The lights in the school were never fully on but now they seemed to just be off entirely.

 I looked out the window to find the pitch black of the night. I hated the dark. I was almost finished cleaning when I heard a rummaging from under the teacher’s desk. I was told not to go over there but I didn’t want to stay oblivious to whatever was happening. I deduced it best not to check it out but I held my broom ready just in case. 

My parents were bound to be worried about me if I hadn’t shown up yet so why haven’t they checked in on me. Then I remembered that I was supposed to spend the night at a friend’s house. I reached into my pocket to find my phone but I couldn’t find it. I must’ve dropped it when I was cleaning.

 I tried finding the light switch but couldn’t. It was like any source of light or way to get help had disappeared. I did find the door though. I didn’t care if I would get in trouble for not cleaning the whole room. I would really rather get in trouble than die. I sprinted out the door and found myself in front of the chemistry classroom. It was dark inside. I really didn’t want to go in but I remembered how there was a fire alarm in there. It would be a quick and easy way to get the police. Wait… why would I need the police. Nothing was happening to me. I was just freaking out. I kept running.

 Eventually, I made it to where the exit of the school should’ve been. But it was hard to see in the dark. The only things I could see were the ominous glow of the moon and the slim shine of light coming from the other side of the hallway. I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look at the source of light. My back was against the wall. The cold, rough wall. I side-led to the left, trying to avoid the light. 

Whatever it was it gave me an uneasy feeling. Then I felt a large bump in the wall. I found a light switch. I turned on the lights and I saw the most horrific thing in my life. It was like a pale human. Bent backward and crawling. I had weird snake-like eyes and it looked like its limbs were reversed. There were no obvious fingers or toes. When it moved you could hear it shuffling through the hall. It was watching me. Like I was some kind of weird-looking bird. Then I saw it. There was another. There were at least four of them, and all were watching me. Their limbs were bent backward. Their teeth looked like my classmate’s long sharp fingernails. 

I scrambled towards the door. It led to the playground. The playground with the broken sets of monkey bars. The cold wind felt almost enough to blow me away. And maybe that’s what I wanted. To fly away and never worry about anything ever again. But it didn’t blow me away. I ran as fast as I could toward the edge of the playground. Only to look back and find more of them. 

Their pale bodies moved fast. They seemed to crawl as fast as a car. Then I saw one stand to its full height. It was about seven feet tall. I tried to climb over the fence but remember the barbed wire on the top. I ran towards the slide and jumped over the fence. I landed hard on the soggy, wet grass. I was covered in mud. I got up and ran as fast as I could.

 When I looked back I saw a white figure vanish in the night. It was dark and wet, and I hated it. I sprinted the rest of the way back home. Trying to put as much distance as I could as fast as I could. I eventually made it home. I had run a whole three miles. I knocked, but no one answered. I looked under the carpet for a key. I felt around in the darkness but couldn’t find one. I looked for the window to my parent's room but when I knocked on that there still wasn’t an answer. 

I could see their chests rising and falling. That meant they were alive. That was enough for me. I sat down put my back on the wall and tried to fall asleep. I was still worried about the weird pale monsters but my exhaustion let me doze off. When I awoke I could see my mom yelling at me but I couldn’t hear. I was still too exhausted. After a while, I stood up and started off toward the school. I didn’t care if it happened again. I was only scared of the fact that the creatures could be anywhere. When I tried to tell my classmates they just laughed. It was the same at home. It was like my parents didn’t even care. 

      “Eventually,” I said to myself, “It will be the reason you all die.”

January 25, 2023 17:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dao Dej Vang
17:18 Jan 25, 2023

The one thing I notice is all the spelling errors. Your friend should probably work on that. Wait, do I know you from somewhere. Don't tell me where.

Reply

Autumn Dixon
17:26 Jan 25, 2023

Maybe you should help him with that...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.