Moon, earth's child

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

28 comments

Speculative Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

My thirsty white mouth sucked at your seas.


Glancing at my pockmarked face, you slipped on your swirling green and blue gown; your shoulder was a beautiful cold curve as you turned away. Even though I was disdained- the plain child, no glow of her own- I succumbed to your pull.


Tugging on your tides, I had time to think: origin myths, who was I anyway? A cosmic collision, wham bam and meteor damn if there wasn’t a little white bun in the galaxy oven. Was I worthy of a name? Nah, just Moon. 


Day in, day out, for 2.5 billion years, I reached out, twitched the hem of your flowing dress: Hey Mum, it’s me! Fruit of your stardust tree! 


Nothing. 


Do you know how hard it was growing up, your scarred satellite, the support act to your main solar show? You were so damned beautiful, the only one that could come close to the sun’s razzle dazzle and not burn with envy. Me? I was just dragged along, part of your galactic ride. I mean, there weren't even any other kids to hang out with. Just me, no-mates Moon. Fun.


Sulking and skulking got me nowhere; I mood- brooded a plan. Broad light of day. What? No way! New dress, a stealthy slip in and, ta- da!- a solar eclipse. Yep, Mum, what d’ya think of my shadowy kiss? It lasted just a few minutes, but watching you in dark lockdown, while I presided for once, Miss Sangfroid, was- honestly?- well it was just bliss. Well worth the cold shoulder you later shoved in my face.


No point lingering on a love I’d never lost. I laced on my big moon boots, it was time for a new phase; to kick down your calendar door, stride right in. Look at me, the unexpected apple that didn’t fall far from the tree; perhaps this would be my lucky thirteenth. Huge, I loomed in our skies, fixed you with my bulging eye.


If you’re only going to notice me once in a blue moon…

No you don't, young lady, up to your room!


A warning to wane: I shrunk myself. Small, smaller, till you couldn’t see me at all. Curled up, luminosity cloaked in loss’s pall. 


On solar winds, time winged by.


I tuned into the song of myself. Four chords, tried and tested; blow me if they didn’t sound good. From majors to minors I shifted around, cranked up the waxing beats, or waned it down: just a slip of crescent sound. 


Freak out on a moonage daydream. Maybe my scream made you flip. How else was I to read your bolt from the deep-space blue, those planetary protégés, all fired up to say hello.


Ok. This was it. I’d forget the broken lines, the unheard calls. What’s a few billion years to finally-made friends? I was ready: queue the actual conversation; o-kay, what? not with you… that’s right, I had to settle once again for the next best thing; children of gold, offspring of light- your human stars. 


Out they jumped. No word of greeting, just boots kicking up my dust; bouncing around, jabbing flags in my ground and standing, hot-smoking heavens, to give themselves a salute. Nice manners you’ve taught them I thought. I extended a welcoming hand:


One small step for man…


Well, what a galactic joke. Bouncing babies, I knew they were yours, as they took and took and took. 21 kilos, to be precise. Yes, they were happy to peel back my skin. Things for their gain, no care for what was within. Finally they got in their tin can, took their treasures back to you. I yelled to their zooming backs:


Space junkies! Never return!


But I was ignored, of course. A string of Apollos you shot my way. A lunar leg- over? Just another string to their bow. 


Twelve boots stomped, twelve legs straddled while I waited and waited for another, other, to touch down. Come! I called. You who’ll get my ebbs and flows; the pull of cycles, life’s tidal throes. Caress my cheek, lay your space face next to mine.


I’m still waiting. 


At least waiting gives time for thought and I tried to process all this cosmic crap. Where did it all come from? When I was your babe in arms, you tasted so sweet: morning dew, babbling brooks, spring showers and summer rain. I swear, nothing could compare to the taste of you. 


Now you only line up killer shots: petroleum-fertiliser-cocaine-spiked shit. I gag, retch, then puke. You want to hear about the hangover? It’s one helluva blackhole: knocking me out with its fist-clench crush.


Nostalgia can be quite a trip when I’m coming round; dazed, trying to remember your old perfume. Lying there, head split with meteor shards, recalling how I’d breathe in deep, inhale the scent of green forests, grassy fields- just a splash of surf. Sigh solar wind. Blow me away from the monoxide, dioxide stuff you spritz all over.


No wonder my skin’s so bad. You’ve got me in a methane chokehold, crater eyes streaming from your toxic reek. Mum, I hate to tell you, but hell do you smell. Look up, see those streaks; you think it’s the Milky Way, but really, it’s your cosmic stink. 


So I guess while we’re straight talking, it’s time to tell you this; for even as I flail in your trail, toss the burn down, I know it’s time at the bar. Last orders Mum, and they’re mine. Look up! That’s me, heading off into the galaxy. I’ll hang out with Herse, shoot some pool with Ganymede, scream songs of tomorrow with Leda; and Tridon’s already said: we’re gonna toast a new night-dawn. Sorry Mum, but there’s just one of you, while I’ve 289 cousins I could shack up with, any time; they can’t wait for me to call. 


So I’ll ring the bell. I’ve tugged and trailed; now it’s time for a new orbit: one where I do all the pulls. 




March 24, 2024 17:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Angelo Grosetti
20:43 Mar 31, 2024

Bellissimo

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:48 Apr 01, 2024

Thanks Angelo for following my work. I'd be curious to hear more of what you thought of the genre mix here from a publishing point of view.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:22 Mar 31, 2024

The descriptions of the moon are actually beautiful. I like the family allusions and wonderful imagery. I do feel a bit sorry for mum. On solar winds, time winged by. No flailing here. I like the way you’ve thought outside the box.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:44 Apr 01, 2024

Hi Helen. I'm sorry for mum too, prioritising one set of children over another, or perhaps just having her attention snagged by us and losing focus of the envious (and rightly so) single one always at her side. I did consider cutting earth's monologue and writing earth's reply but under the time constraints this worked better just from moon's pov. Great to see you're still on the platform as I've been away for a bit.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:47 Apr 01, 2024

It’s a clever concept and works well. Now, why didn’t I think of that? 😂 I like the platform - even though it’s tough with the time constraints and fitting round work. I’m such a sad person that I actually miss people when they’re away. It’s a way of getting to know someone without hassle. Welcome back.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:00 Apr 01, 2024

I often think of you when I'm over, as I am now. My daughter loves the charity shops. I just hope we can get all the purchases back in the case! Send me a message via yellow button when you next submit as I might be on and off Reedsy for a few weeks and that way I'll know to read. Happy Easter Helen!

Reply

Helen A Smith
09:18 Apr 01, 2024

Your daughter is wise. There aren’t so many of them these days. I know you enjoy the charity shop stories and I’m planning on getting another one out soon. Hopefully this week. However, if you fancy something entirely different, my last one “You Promised” is worth taking a look at. It’s a tough story, but it has some good reviews. Have fun and Happy Easter.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
09:27 Mar 29, 2024

Well this is certainly a perspective I have never considered. Your descriptions as always are excellent and the voice is so good with its petulant tone. “wham bam and meteor dam“ hahah “I laced on my big moon boots, it was time for a new phase;” love the image.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:07 Mar 29, 2024

Moon rocking it with teenage boots on. Sometimes it feels like having three moons under one roof as my three teens want to break off into orbits of their own! Thanks for the read, Michelle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
01:42 Mar 28, 2024

The moon's desperation to get the sun's attention and then it's final departure from the galaxy is a wonderful metaphor for the broken lines of communications and ruptured family ties. The writing portrayed such a mix of reality, humor, and poetry that I am fairly sure only you could pull off Rebecca. Nice job

Reply

Rebecca Miles
10:05 Mar 28, 2024

Hi Wally. Cheers for the thumbs up. It was interesting to write a monologue and deep- dive into voice with this one. I discovered a fair bit about the moon along the way! I wanted this to be relatable, so I hope it wears the research lightly. Thanks so much for your kind words. I'd like to write a few more of these.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:46 Apr 05, 2024

Wow - ignore the comment from the person who doesn't get this, of course everyone has different tastes, but even if this is not what I would usually choose to read I can absolutely see the experimental and poetic value of it. There is no requirement for creative work to be entirely based in what might be possible in real life - or even in real science - I love the relationship you created here between the moon and the earth and the one sided commentary on it leaving no space for the earth to explain what is happening from so far away. I pick...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:39 Apr 05, 2024

Let's chink glasses together! I'm not submitting to Reedsy as much as I've realised once you win once and get a few shortlists it really is easier to pull teeth than get a second win! The only thing that keeps me coming back is the lovely community (on the whole). I really like shaking it all up once in a while; can't always stick to a classic dry martini! I've started submitting more widely. Perhaps you'd like to read my story on this new literary platform and consider submitting. The editor is incredibly good. https://eggplusfrog.com/ficti...

Reply

05:59 Apr 06, 2024

Thanks for the reply 🙂 always interested in other platforms but I do like Reedsy. I'll check out the egg frog thing. If you're interested in reading something of mine I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest piece. It's not massively original but for me it is a bit of an experiment - you might find it appealing? I do tend to keep things dark though, and this is no exception. Have a great weekend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rudy Greene
21:28 Apr 03, 2024

Very playful anthropomorphism of the moon. I felt like I was reading a long irreverent beat poem. Entertaining. My only criticism is that the descriptions were perhaps a little too too much or too detailed. Overall, very creative and entertaining.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:34 Apr 03, 2024

Cheers Rudy. Yep, moon wanted her fair share of imagery so I let her have it 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:44 Apr 02, 2024

Rebecca ! How stunning is this your use of imagery and descriptions is impeccable. You built us a space story with lots of heart. Absolutely impressive. Great job !

Reply

Rebecca Miles
07:09 Apr 03, 2024

Thanks Stella for your enthusiastic vote of confidence. It was great to write with a lot of energy in this one a bit of teenage thrust and throttle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:57 Apr 02, 2024

Nicely done.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
07:11 Apr 03, 2024

Thanks Darvico.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:51 Apr 01, 2024

Hi Rebecca. Sorry to say, but this is really, really not my cup of tea. It reads like you didn't know what you wanted to write about, but you were on acid, so you just rambled on with a whole bunch of poetry and metaphors that could've been helpful - if there'd been any context, which there wasn't. This is a short story competition, not a try-and-figure-out-the-meaning poetry competition. To me, a story should have a start, a middle and an end. We should feel there's something important going on, and some struggle that needs to happen i...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:34 Apr 01, 2024

That's fine Marcus, we all have different reading tastes: our own literary cups of tea! I wanted to be more adventurous with this one and blend genres; it was intended to be a monologue written in strongly poetic prose. I've just finished reading Max Porter's incredible Grief is the Thing with Feathers and it's inspired me to take creative risks, there is a market out there! Please don't rewrite my story, it is mine!

Reply

10:20 Apr 01, 2024

Very well. Good luck for your future endeavours. (P.s. it would've been a "fan-fiction" kinda thing, but I will respect your wishes.)

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:27 Apr 01, 2024

Is it not possible to have different kinds of writing? Both the traditional short story format and the more experimental? Although I probably write more in the traditional format, I like the idea of mixing genres and adding a bit of poetry to a short story can enhance it. Providing it’s not all poetry. Trends and tastes are constantly changing. It’s a long time since I’ve read them but Virginia Woolf’s works were considered experimental at the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amie Golightly
23:34 Mar 31, 2024

Very clever! Well done.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:46 Apr 01, 2024

Thanks Amie. I've been encouraged to be far more experimental as so many writers are getting successful by blending genres and taking creative risks. The writer who won the Oxford flash comp wrote a stream of consciousness about standing in a queue so the market must be there for the experimental!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:44 Mar 24, 2024

Oh, that's just the moon talkin'.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
10:02 Mar 28, 2024

😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.