0 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

It was a Friday. A quiet weekend was waiting for me. It was autumn with calm and steady showers. It felt amazing to even watch it from the window. Each water drop fell down in an orderly manner. I wish my life would be so simple, and calm. Right when I was thinking that, I heard sounds from the hallway. It was my parents. They were finally leaving for their trip. My dad had a business trip, and my mom wanted to come with him. They were worrying about me staying all alone at home, but that was no issue for me. The opposite actually, this would be perfect for me. I was waiting impatiently for their leave. I helped them with their stuff, then said goodbye.

               It was finally time. My time to shine. Well, only I would be able to see that shine, but that is exactly what I wanted. I made myself a hot cocoa, grabbed my blanket, and threw myself on the couch. I turned on my favorite anime, and I thought to myself, this might be the ideal weekend.

Right when I thought that, the doorbell rang. What now? Did they forget something? I was so relaxed in my blanket, standing up was the last thing I wanted to do. But I had to. I put down my mug, and got up. After reaching the door, I looked through the peephole, and expected my parents, but no. It was delivery service. I was happy to see someone else than my parents, but sad that it was still someone I had to deal with in order to get back to my couch.

Did we order something? Actually I did. I remembered that it was my coffee jelly. 10 packs of it actually. I got it for a good price too, so I was really stoked. I opened the door, and quickly grabbed the package. After signing, I gave my thanks, and shut the door. This was definitely going to be one of my favorite weekends. Anime, coffee jelly, all alone. Perfect. I opened up the box, and grabbed a pack of the jelly, and made my way to the kitchen. Now that I had my spoon, I went back to the couch, and got in the blankets. What a nice feeling. I pressed play, expecting nothing else than to just watch anime, and eat my coffee jelly.

But there it was. My next obstacle. My phone was ringing. I turned it off, and ignored it. But it rang once more, after a few more minutes. I was trying to avoid it, but I looked at the contact. It was my mother. What did she want now? I answered, and she told me that the son of the neighbors would come to us, because her parents would go on a trip too. He didn't have anywhere else to stay, and they can't trust a nine year old all alone. So I was going to be the babysitter. Great. Another thing I hate: children. I can't even begin to communicate with them, rather babysit one. I just hope that this would last only a few hours. Or else my weekend would really be ruined.

The doorbell rang once more, so I got up. My coffee jelly was half-finished, so my happiness subsided, and there was nothing else left, but annoyance. I looked through the peephole, and yes, it was the boy next door. He looked even smaller than I remember. He also had a toy figure in his hand. Seemed like the protagonist from the anime I'm watching. I opened the door, and he barged right in. Without saying a word, he made his way to the couch, got under the blanket, and grabbed…

…my coffee jelly?! What did he think he was doing? He seemed so comfortable, without a worry about the world. He had glowing eyes, and his hand was pointing at the TV with the spoon in his hand: „Is that Sergeant Superman? It‘s my favorite anime, look!“. He was showing me his figure now. Great, another reason for him to stay. Taking „make yourself at home“ too far now. My weekend was definitely ruined now, this trauma would last more than just a few days. What could I possibly do?

               I grabbed the remote, and also the coffee jelly. He got sad, and started crying. Another mistake. Why couldn't he just shut up, and sit quietly like a good boy. I wouldn't want to watch the show with him neither, because his stupid comments get in the way, and I can't enjoy myself. „Look, isn't he super cool?“, or „I wish I could be as strong as him!“. Really annoying. But would this end here? No, it wouldn't. My phone rang once more, this time it was my classmate. I don't even remember his name, but he thinks we are good friends. I usually give him my homework to copy, so he can shut up, and leave me alone. He might be calling for that again. I picked up, and I wish I hadn't: „Hey, dude, I'm coming over right now with some friends, alright? Get some snacks ready!“. No, no, you're not. This is my house, and you can't just decide whether you can bring friends or not.

And he hung up. He's definitely coming now. Could this be worse? I wanted to clean up the living room a bit, but there was no time. They were already outside the door. Were they literally waiting outside while calling me? I peeped, and saw five people. Five people! I thought I'd have a quiet weekend, not a house party. I had no choice, but to open the door. He brought my other classmates, who I do not know the names of. Biggest problem was this girl in the middle. She was interested in me ever since day one. This is going to be a wild day, exactly what I not wanted.

               They came in and sat down. One of them asking questions, one of them was talking with the kid, everyone was acting like it was their own house. I didn't say anything, but just grabbed the remote, and started watching my anime. I wanted to act like they weren't there. After grabbing another coffee jelly, I sat down, and tried to enjoy myself. They were also finally quiet, so I guess it wasn't so bad after all. Though I hope I'll have a quieter weekend next time.

July 25, 2021 10:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.