INTRUDER IN THE MARRIAGE

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who takes nothing for granted.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

Jenifer was a software engineer working for a large company. She was tall and fair but she wasn’t  attractive and she married Ron an executive of a shipping company in India. After three years of service in India he was transferred to Mombasa in Africa. He had said “Jay, I’ll settle in the new job and then come and take you with me.”

Three months later he called and said “Jay, I’m jumping jobs. I’m moving to Ethiopia. Again let me settle and I’ll take you with me.”

There was no contact with Ron for another 3  months and she was worried. Then he messaged “I was in Iraq. The money is good. Wait a little more and I’ll be there to take you here with me.”

Jenifer never took anything for granted. She went to Mombasa and enquired about Ron. They could only say he had gone elsewhere. She returned most unhappy. A few months later she got a message from Ethiopia saying Ron had died in an exchange of fire. A death certificate was enclosed. She was told he had been badly burnt and had been buried. A compensatory amount was sent to her account which was a large sum.

Jenifer continued working. Her parents had passed on and she moved into a quarter allocated by the church. Five years passed during which she was wooed by Tony a building constructor who was two years younger to her. She married him, settled in his home and were very happy together. He had said “Jenny, you’re moneyed and I’m also prosperous. You must consider quitting your job. It’s unnecessary.”

Jenifer said “Tony one never knows how things will shape up. Let me continue working for as long as I can.”

Tony said “You’re always pessimistic.”

“No. I’m a person who takes nothing for granted. To tell you the truth I’m still unable to understand why Ron was killed in an exchange of fire. May be he did something wrong and was perhaps blackmailed and forced to do something unlawful. Otherwise, how could he have been killed in an exchange of fire?”

“Forget him. It’s years since we got married and we’re happy.” He changed the topic and said “Jenny think about our vacation. You said you’ll choose where we should go and what we’ll do.”

She nodded. She now got a phone call and finishing it said “That was Carol”

There was a knock on the door instead of the bell. She recalled that had been Ron’s code of announcing he had come. Tony opened the door and saw a man standing outside. He had grey hair and was dressed in dark pants with a T-shirt on top.

Tony stood staring at him.

Jenifer asked “Tony who is at the door?”

A  male voice answered “It’s Ron.”

Jenifer came running as she recognized the voice. She saw Ron had become older but was easily recognizable.

He said “Jay, I had difficulty locating your place.  At last I’m home.” The couple merely stared and he prompted “Aren’t you asking me in?”

Tony asked “What’re you saying? Jenny is my wife. This isn’t your home.”

Jenifer said softly “Tony, we don’t want neighbours to overhear. Ask him in.”

Ron didn’t need a formal invitation and not only walked in but planted himself in a sofa. Tony shut the door and sat with Jenifer facing Ron.

Ron said “Jay is the woman I married. After that I went to Africa where I had many adventures. And I’m back.”

Jenifer said “I got your death certificate. It’s safe in my bank locker.”

Ron said “I had been settling in my job in Mombasa when I was drawn into unlawful activities including drugs and arms. There was an exchange of fire between two gangs in which I was slightly wounded. Another of us was killed. The bosses for some reason decided to declare me dead and I was smuggled out of that country. The same people smuggled me back into India in a fishing boat.”

Tony asked “What’re you planning to do?”

“I want to settle here with you.”

Tony said “But she is my wife already.”

“It can’t be helped. Let her choose.”

Jenifer said “I don’t know what to do. I can’t have two husbands.”

“I’ve plenty of money illegally deposited into an account in India. I can buy you off.  Ron, take money and quit this place. Then Jay will be mine. Jay I’m looking for your help.”

Tony said “I won’t move out nor will I allow you to live here.”

Ron said with a laugh “You can do what you want but I’ll move in with you in an hour. I’m parked in hotel Primrose which is nearby.”

Tony said “Are you suggesting that we three live together for now? No way. I won’t have you between Jenny and me.”

Ron said “Tony, you have no say. Jay, be fair. You know much I loved you. I still love you.”

Tony said “I also love her. Remember I married your widow.”

Ron said “She is no widow. I’m her husband. Let her choose. She could say I could live with her say 6 months and then shift to you. That is a solution.”

Tony said “Nothing doing. You’re now inside my house. Leave immediately.”

Ron laughed and said “Try to enforce that order and you’ll know the real me. I’ve got rid of people who informed on the drug trail. I’ve money to get unknown assassins to kill you.”

Jenifer said “Okay I’ll decide. I got over your loss and married Tony. So you’ve become a stranger to me.”

Ron suddenly started shedding tears. He said “Jay you remember while on our honeymoon we were on the giant Ferris wheel. It got stuck in the sky and there was an emergency. You will remember my promise that even if we fall I’ll see that you’re saved.”

Jenifer said “You aren’t wooing me again reminding me of the remote past.  Ron, I’ll get you a suitable bride. Till then stay away from here.”

“I can find a wife by myself but I want you.”

Jenifer said “Please leave us now. I’ll contact you next Sunday.”

“Jay I trust you. Decide on accepting me for old times sake.”

Ron left abruptly. Tony said “Jenny you’ve to take a decision urgently.”

Jenifer said “I did love Ron. I went after him after he had vanished but I don’t want to have anything to do with him any more.”

“You had made a sensible suggestion to find another woman to be his wife.”

She was silent a few moments and said “I wish he disappears.”

“Looking at him makes me think he has many more years of life left.”

“I meant by going away elsewhere and not bothering us”

Tony said “A threesome could be a solution.”

She was very angry as she said “How about a foursome if he gets a new wife? Our house should never become a......”

Tony said “If you think Ron is a better man I’ll leave”

Jenifer burst into tears and sobbed. She said “Ron’s coming has already upset me. And your ideas of the threesome etcetera have driven me to tears.”

Tony embraced her and consoled her. She whispered “I don’t want Ron. I only want you.”

The following Sunday Tony reached the Primrose hotel and asked to contact Ron.

The receptionist knocked keys, peered into the computer screen told him he should ask the director who was in her office. He met the lady and said “I had told Ron I would contact him this day.”

She said “Two days ago the Secret Service picked him up and we’ve no further news. Fortunately he had paid us in advance.”

“Why was he arrested?”

“They wouldn’t tell me but since the drug enforcers had come I concluded he may not return.”

Tony heaved a sigh of relief that his marriage had been saved.

He told Jenifer the facts and added “The matter has been resolved.”

She said “I wish Ron goes to prison and never bothers us again but I’m wary about the future till I’m sure he is really dead.”

END

August 11, 2021 04:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.