The Things That Make the World Go Around

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone going to the corner store to buy an everyday item.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“You ever get hit with one of those random cravings?” 

I turned and raised my eyebrows at Tee. He stared out the window at the people passing. I couldn’t help but sigh. Tee did this a lot - reminiscing about his past obsessions that were no longer available to us. Pointless. I asked, “What kind of cravings?” 

“Oh, I don’t know. Just something from when you were a kid, I guess.” His expression was impossible to read.  

“You’re so pathetic, Tee,” I teased, grinning. “What is it this time?” 

He laughed along. “Trix yogurt. The cotton candy one, specifically.”  

“That’s so random,” I protested. He nodded in agreement. “But the strawberry was the best.”  

When he heard that, he looked at me with the most exaggerated look of disgust I’ve ever seen. “Are you insane?” he intoned dramatically.  

“Maybe.” I kept driving, a smile lingering on my face. “Alright, back to work. Where’s the mission?” 

Tee sighed, “Karanoff’s Jewels. Two precious gems were stolen. Our task is to track down the thief. Em thinks it’s important.”  

“This sounds like something the cops could handle,” I complained, adjusting the rear view mirror. “Why do we have to go?” 

“If Em thinks it’s important, then it must be,” Tee reminded me. “Come on, Bea. What’s the worst that could happen? You should be glad we got something easy for once.”  

“Yeah, I guess,” I muttered, glancing at Tee again. He was back to staring out the window, probably back to recalling the taste of cotton candy yogurt.  


I knew the job would be easy. I couldn’t help thinking so. It only took us an hour to apprehend the culprit. Turns out, the jewels actually belonged to one of our allies, the Sultan of Brunei. Smuggled over here by an immigrant, Em thought. It made no difference to me who the jewels were for.  

I’m used to this life. I’ve been Bea - B34 - since I was 17 years old. Part of the underground organization that we refer to as the Recycle Bin, or just the Bin. That’s what we are, isn’t it? A group of misfits who came together to make something new. A band of outcasts trained endlessly until we’re anything but ordinary.  

My room - or my cubicle, really - didn’t do much to calm the adrenaline that always flows through me after a mission. What could I do to distract myself? I thought back on the day.  

Waking up. Getting dressed. Going down to Command to plug my watch into the Core - all of our daily missions are stored in the Core Computer, and in order to complete them we have to download them to our personal wristband. Finding Tee. The car ride. Tee mentioning that he misses that yogurt … what was it again? Trucks or something? Oh, yeah. Trix.  

Suddenly I had an idea. Tee had been a big help to me. I liked to see him smile. Besides, I had the rest of the day off. Em would probably allow it.  

I quickly typed my request and sent it to my boss. I’d only just pulled my jacket on when I got Em’s permission. I smiled and grabbed my Common money.  

Getting out of headquarters used to give me a headache, but I’ve been here long enough to find my way around. I grinned and walked a little faster, a happy feeling coursing through me. If Tee had been there, he’d have made fun of me. “You’re a hardcore spy,” he’d have said, “and this simple little thing makes you as happy as a kid on Christmas.” He’d shake his head. “Women.”  

Finally, I made it to the gate. I scanned my watch on the panel, which showed the guards that I had permission to leave. They let me out - and moments later, I was standing in the sunshine.  

Sometimes I miss life before joining the Bin. Not my exact situation, of course, because that was miserable. Just the little things, I guess. A scoop of ice cream at the pool, or a new pair of trendy shoes, or that one time I got my nails done. I often sympathize with Tee a lot more than I let on. Which, I guess, is why I was so excited to do this for him.  

It didn’t take me long to find the local corner store. Lilith’s - where I used to buy this peppermint chapstick, right when I first joined the Bin. I had never used any chapstick that could hold a candle to that one. Perhaps I’ll buy some, I thought.  

When I pushed the door open, the little silver bell chimed merrily. Lilith, the small old woman who’s apparently owned the store for decades, welcomed me. She asks me my name every single time I go there. I always tell her it’s Bea. It’s probably fortunate that she doesn’t remember anything. The last thing I need is someone recognizing me or something.  

Trix yogurt. What are the odds they’d have that particular yogurt? Very slim, I assumed. But surprisingly, it didn’t take me long to find it. In all its glory, right next to Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Lilith has more in her store than you’d think.  

In the checkout line, in front of me, stood a young woman with a baby strapped to her chest and a small diamond glinting on her finger. Don’t, I thought, but I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help thinking that I wished I was her.  

That was what I had wanted, and what I thought I would have. Gosh, I loved kids when I was younger. I wanted them. I wanted the chance to prove that I could be a better mother than mine. I wanted - no, I needed someone or something to pour out all the love that was stuck in me.  

Life changes. Life changes, but you can make the best of it. I never planned to get in that car accident. I never planned to be forgotten, and salvaged by the Bin - well, what was left of me. And I never planned to meet the friends I’ve made, including Tee.  

I handed Lilith my money, and then I was back in the open, clutching a bag containing a four pack of cotton candy Trix yogurt and the world’s best peppermint chapstick. I passed a dozen people on my way back to headquarters. A teenage boy with a broken arm. An older gentlemen who held a shiny red balloon. A businesswoman with a wireless earpiece for a phone. A toddler with her pet dog, and what must have been her older sister, who typed away on her cellphone. I thought about each of them. I sent each of them silent messages - the same message I’m sending to you now.  

I’m not supposed to do this - it’s against the rules of the Bin. It’s strictly forbidden to publish anything about headquarters, but it’s not like I’ve given away the location or anything, right? Anyway, I thought it was worth the risk. Especially after seeing the look on Tee’s face when I handed him the yogurt. If I get punished for this, it’ll still be worth it, I think.  

“You actually went out and bought it?” Tee couldn’t believe it. It was golden.  

“Yeah, I did,” I smiled. “You’re welcome.”  

So here’s my message. Don’t take it for granted. Don’t take anyone or anything for granted, because you never know when it’s all going to change. And when it does, don’t take that for granted. Everyone in your life has a purpose and a story. Every relationship has the potential to make you a better person, no matter how trivial it seems.  

Nobody’s perfect - we’re all way too far from it to ever dream about perfection. There are no perfect coworkers, perfect friends, or even perfect people. But there are kind people. Loving people. Compassionate people. Hopeful people! Happy people! People that make the world go around.  

So be one of them. That’s all. That’s what I’m risking my job and maybe even my life to tell you. It’s that important to me, and it should be that important to everyone. Help me out here. Be that person.  

This was Agent B34. Signing out.  

March 02, 2020 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.