The Thanksgiving Surprise

Written in response to: Write about someone giving or receiving a gift.... view prompt

1 comment

Suspense Holiday Happy

  I was on my way to my parents house for Thanksgiving. All my family will be there. Oh, sorry! I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Bailey, and it is 3 days until Thanksgiving. I am a college student and I live very far away from my parents house. It is a 20 hour trip from Florida to Pennsylvania. I’m all by myself, except for my dog Lulu. He comes with me everywhere. He is a sweety. Ok let's get back to what is actually going on.

     I was driving to my parents house while I got a phone call from my dad. I missed his text a couple minutes ago when he said, “Hey Bailey, you on your way here?” When he called me I of course pressed the answer button. This is how it went.

     “Hey Hun! Did you miss my text earlier?” said my dad

     “Yeah I am sorry. Is Lyla there already?” I asked my dad. If you didn’t know, Lyla is my sister that lives in Niagara Falls. That's only a 6 hour car ride though, not nearly as long as mine. She usually arrives at our parents house a couple of days before I get there for decorating and all that stuff.

     “Yeah she was here a couple days ago baking cookies and brownies. You know what she does.” My dad didn’t sound annoyed, he was just joking.

     “Did she put out the turkey cornhole yet? Or put the feathers on the turkey? You know that that is our tradition.” Putting up some special Thanksgiving games is me, my sisters, and my parents tradition ever since my sister was really little.

     “No, she is putting the frosting on her turkey cookies right now. Hey, do you wanna talk to mom? She is helping your sister with the baking right now.” After a couple of seconds, that felt like an eternity, my mom came on the phone.

     “Hey sweetie! Are you on your way here?” my mother asked.

     “Yeah, I’m only 19 hours away!” I said sarcastically.

     “Well, I’m sorry we have to end this conversation so quick, but your sister is making me come and help her with her cookies. Have fun and be safe! I love you, goodbye.” my mother said. I said my goodbyes also and got dad back on the phone.

     “So, your sister has a surprise for you when you get home,” my dad muffled.”But don’t tell her that when you get on the phone with her, it’s supposed to be a secret.”

     “Well why would you tell me then?” I wasn’t mad, just why would dad tell me for no reason?

     “Well do you want your sister on the phone? I’ll get her. I’ll be right back.” After another eternity and a half, my sister was on the phone.

     “Hey sis! I’m glad to talk to you!” My sister said very excitedly like she hasn’t talked to me in a year.

     “Yeah it’s amazing to talk to you again. Sorry for not calling, I have been really busy lately with school.” Bailey wasn’t sure to tell her sister about what dad told her, or wait until she gets home. She thought if she could talk to her about a similar thing, she could squeeze it out of her sister. “Hey, did you get presents for mom and dad for Christmas yet? I know you love your early shopping,” Bailey said nervously.

     “Yeah, but don’t tell them. Also, I have a surprise for you! I will show you when you get to the house. ” Lyla said. Bailey finally got the truth! Now she wanted to know what it is.

     “Wow thanks! Can I have a hint of what it is? How big is it? Is it there already? Can I have a peek?” I was so excited, I REALLY want to know what it is.

     “Wooh, slow down Bails. You're not getting a hint out of me,” Lyla said sassily.”Even though I can’t tell you, this is going to be the best present you’ve ever seen!”

     This was making me so anxious to know what the present was! I hope I get to my parents house soon. 

     After a very long and exhausting car ride with my dog barking half the time, I was minutes away from my parents house. I could finally be able to see the present my sister got me!

     I pulled up to the house. Exactly how I remembered it from last year. Then I saw my parents walking out of the house. I was so excited!

     “Hey Mom! Hey Dad! Happy Thanksgiving!” I said happily. 

     “Hey sweetie! How was the car ride?” my mom asked.

     “It was long, and Lulu was barking half the time. But other than that, it was great.” I said to my mom. ”So, where’s Lyla? I can’t wait to see what she got me!” 

     “She is inside, just finishing the brownies she was making.” It was my dad speaking this time. “She is so excited to show you her present. But let me warn you, you might get a little emotional.”

     Emotional? What did dad mean by emotional? Was I gonna be sad by the present my sister got for me?

    “Hey come I’ll help get your bags and you can come right on inside,” my dad said, interrupting my thoughts. 

     “But when you come inside, don’t look yet, ok?” My mom asked.

     “Ok I won’t” I agreed to my mom.

     I was getting really suspicious about what my mom and dad were talking about. I just wanted to see the present. Maybe I was being too greedy. Although I thought about what the present was, when I saw what it really was I would have never guessed it in a million years.

     I walk through the door covering my eyes with my hands, not letting a crack seep through. I thought to myself, I hope it’s a good surprise, I hope it's good.

     Then I hear my sister’s voice say,”You can open your eyes now!” In a very excited way. This was getting me so amped up. I take my hands off my eyes slowly, and see a figure of my sister. She looks a little different, what could it be? She has a round belly, then the thought that immediately came into my mind. She’s having a baby! 

     “OMG! Are you really having a baby?” I was so blown away I couldn’t talk anymore. I had so many questions. 

     “Are you ok? You're wheezing a lot there.” She said while she was laughing. I didn’t realize I was wheezing until my sister told me. When I am really excited, I kinda do a wheeze thing.

    “I will tell you everything after we continue setting up the games. Now come on, I’m getting a bit tired so let's get this done quick.” After a lot of discussing the baby, I finally got quite a bit of information.

     “So, you and James finally decided to have a baby together. I’m so happy!” James is Lyla’s husband. "I can’t believe you actually got away with this surprise! I know I am still in school, so it will be a little hard for me to see it. I am also pretty far away?” I will never get to see the baby until I am done with school, which is a whole year! I am super happy, but I wish she would have waited a little bit longer. 

This was sure one heck of a Thanksgiving, but I really enjoyed the surprise!

November 23, 2021 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Savannah Murdock
15:29 Nov 23, 2021

I LOVE THIS STORY! Your writing style is so nice and neat. <3 Also hi it's Savannah.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.