0 comments

Romance Contemporary

How To Steal A Heart

By Adrienne Wilde


           Bennett Hale was walking along the beach shore in the sunny Florida Keys, wearing nothing but his board shorts and a smile, when he noticed the most striking eyes and smile ever seen on a woman before. Her bright ocean blue eyes were a stark contrast to her smooth, creamy porcelain skin and her full red lips. But it was her smile that caught his eyes as she was laughing at something one of her companions had obviously said. Her long, medium blonde hair fell in waves over her shoulders and back and bounced lightly while she laughed heartily, her hand going to her chest as if to restrain herself while she laughed merrily. She really was beautiful! Walking over, he planned to find out who this paragon of all women is.  I must know who she is, he told himself as his long strides closed the distance between them, bringing them closer together.

           When he stood just a few feet away from her, he cleared his throat and said, “Hi there. I’m Bennett Hale. What’s your name, beautiful?”

 He looked at her, staring deeply into her eyes and had an epiphany. There would be a future between them. Good or bad, he wasn’t sure, but he just knew it. He felt it. Something about the way she looked back at him told him she was intrepid, fearless and that stirred something deep inside him, something he hadn’t felt before. He hadn’t even realized he was holding his breath, waiting for her reply. To hear her lovely voice serenade his ears and heart.

“Well, Hi there, Bennett. My name is Mirabelle Saunders, but my friends call me Belle. Care to join our bonfire we’re having tonight? We’re celebrating my novel landing on the Top Ten Bestsellers list. We’d love to have you join us and help celebrate my success. Let me introduce you to the gang here. My best friend here is Alanna Knight and her boyfriend, Jordan Bailey. Next to them is Derick Poole and his best friend Samuel Bradley. Last but not least, we have Hugh, my brother and his long-time girlfriend, Abby Fields. Gang, this is Bennett Hale, a fellow beach enthusiast? Sorry, I don’t know what you do for a living.” She smiled at him, and he felt his heart melt and a sense of euphoria hit him.

“It’s kind of you to offer and I would be honored to join you and your friends. Is there enough beer and wine? I can grab some more. And how about snacks and food? What did you guys have planned?” He stroked his five-o’clock shadowed chin thoughtfully and smiled at Belle, thinking it might be easier to get to know her better if she were to come with him to the liquor store.

“We have some beer here, but I think we could use a bit more wine and snacks. A cheese tray with some meat and crackers will go very well with it. In fact, I know the perfect place to go. Would you care to join me, Bennett? I would love to get to know you more.” Could she get any more perfect than this? His whole body was cognizant of her and her effervescent personality. What was this woman, this paragon, doing to him? It was paramount that he took this time she was offering him. More like tantalizing in the beautiful, flowing, full length sundress she had on. Enticing him. He longed to feel the softness of her skin and was fighting this carnal desire to have her. He knew he had to bide his time and get to know her. Not wanting to ruin this, he had to be altruistic with her and let her take the lead to see where this went. Belle grabbed her small purse and slung it on her shoulder, fully amenable to going with her new friend for more contraband.

Walking side by side, he broke the ice on the way to the store, asking her questions about herself.

“So, your name, Mirabelle. It’s a very unique name. Does it mean anything? I’ve never met anyone with your name before.”

           Smiling softly to herself, she said, “It means wondrous beauty. Mom always said it fit me to a T. As a child, I didn’t quite believe her. But after she died, I started to really think about it and realized that she was right. She was my best friend growing up. We were inseparable. She acted more of a teenager than I did most times. That is until a drunk driver took her away from me and my father.”

A soft angelic affection came over her face at the mention of her mother. He gently grabbed her hand and squeezed it in understanding. A soft jolt of electricity went through her at his touch, and she thought it implausible, having never had that reaction from a man's touch before. It left her completely perplexed and in somewhat of a turmoil. But she was a fighter and wasn’t going to back down, not conceding. She never backed down before and she wasn’t going to start now. She was very interested in Bennett and felt this magnetic pull towards him, as if he was the one with the magnet. Looking down at their joined hands, she smiled at him but didn’t pull away, giving him hope.

“I was named after my grandfather, Bennett Hale the First. He was the one who started our family’s company, while my father made it prosper and flourish more than granddad did. Grandma was very mulish about accounting and bookkeeping, so she took that part on herself. Mom was a well-known Interior decorator and brought us kids along with her on the job. It was great getting learn about coordinating colors, shapes and decorations. It was creative and it was art. Art drew me in as a way to see into someone’s soul, to see who they were. It's what inspired me to go after my master’s in art and to open my own National Art Gallery. Art is something I really enjoy doing and it gives me a sense of peace.” He walked on, glancing at her occasionally and noticed her attention on him quite often, which pleased him greatly.

It wasn’t long before they reached the liquor store, and he opened the door for her as he was taught by his mannerly mother. Unused to men being gentleman and grabbing the door for her, she took a moment to really take him in, noticing for the first time how really attractive he is. Bronze skin pulled tightly over his firm muscles. Knowing what drew her eyes on men, it went directly to his arms, pecs and stomach. Which she could very easily say didn’t disappoint her in the least. He was well filled out and had muscles for days. Chocolate brown eyes stared back at her and in the light, she saw flecks of gold that sparkled. Straight brown hair was combed back from his face, showing her the shape, illuminating even more of his good looks. All that remained was to see if there is a brain and heart in there somewhere. He stood tall, at least six foot and probably weighed at least two hundred and fifty pounds, if she were to guess. He was just magnificent! When she looked in his eyes, she noticed a genuine gentleness and desire in them. She could tell he wanted her, and it made her secretly smile inside.

“Do you mind if we stop by my place after this? I’d like to get a change of clothes for later tonight when it cools down. I’d also like to get some shoes and maybe a blanket to lay on. You don’t mind, do you?” He smiled at her and took the wine bottles from her arms and set them in a handbasket he picked up.

“Sure, no problem. Do you live anywhere close to here? My car is in the shop right now. And high heels aren’t really conducive for long walks.” She laughed, low and deliberate, causing his eyes to crinkle and his groin to slowly expand. He wanted her like hell but was a bit antiquated in his beliefs. He was no virgin, but he didn’t go out with loose women and lose himself in them. He preferred to be a bit picky when it came to ladies and love. He preferred to go on several dates and get to really know someone before he took them to bed. However, this one woman was pushing his boundaries, making him rethink that. But that’s not saying he wasn’t going to touch, kiss or caress her and enjoy her body and expressions. He sure as hell was if she gave him that pleasure.

“I live only a couple blocks from here. And my car is there that we can use to carry all the food and drinks back. It will also give your pretty little feet a break from those adorable heels.” He grabbed a few bags of chips, dip and a couple deli trays in the basket, his other free hand holding hers.

A charming blush befell on her face, making her look angelic and bringing out a protective side he didn’t know he had. Once the food and drinks were paid for, by him of course, they walked the two blocks towards his house. He made really good money for being an artist and owning his own gallery, selling not just his work but others as well. It enabled him to be able to afford a really nice Victorian house with pillars out front and a three-car garage. Inside, the furniture was classic Victorian style in colors ranging from light to medium earth tone browns, beiges and creams paired with cherry wood tables and accent beams along the walls and ceiling. It was magnificent!

“Your house is quite impressive, Bennett. Did you hire an interior designer, or did you do this yourself? I’ve always loved the classic Victorian era design and style. Everything is simple and yet really elegant. And with the style of the house and the colors here, it really pulls the eye to it.” Her eyes gleamed in appreciation as she scanned the room, taking in the look on his face as she did so. He seemed really happy at her response to his house and so far, him. He could tell she was accepting of him and that he affected her to a degree. To what extent, he was unsure. But that still gave him something to go on, something to look forward to in the future. A chance to build a stronger relationship with her. Once he was changed, he grabbed his car keys, opened the garage door and put all the drinks and food in the trunk. It was only a couple minutes’ drive from his house to the parking lot. Everyone came over to check out his car and help unload. Not long after found Bennett and Mirabelle found themselves alone, laying on the blanket he brought with him from the house.

He pulled her close to him, flush against his chest and wrapped his well-muscled arms around her. Full solid body contact against her soft, feminine curves. He caught her eyes with his and locked on, noting her somewhat shy expression, as if trying to read him. But neither pushing him away nor rejecting him. He lips longed to taste hers, to savor her like no one ever has. He couldn’t believe this wonderful woman was letting him cherish her, that she trusted him.

“I have this insane need to kiss you, to taste you. To see if you feel the same way about me that I do for you. Would it be okay for me to kiss you?” He rubbed his knuckles softly against her cheek and smiled softly down at her, his eyes sincere but edged with desire and passion.

“To be honest, I feel a strong pull towards you. I have this ache inside me that I haven’t felt before with another man. And I want to explore that, to see where it leads us. Yes, you may kiss me, Bennett.” She slid her arms around his neck and met his abdomen with her own, hearing him groan at the contact. A rough, guttural growl erupted from both their lips as they met in passion, lust and need. Devouring each other as if there was no tomorrow and no promise of another kiss. For her, it was amazing and self-gratifying to know that she could get such a visceral reaction from him. His hands ran all over her body, touching, teasing and tormenting. In all her twenty-four years, never had she felt this connection with a man. Never had she wanted to forget everything and just give in to the pleasure like she does now.

Every time she looks at him, her heart stopped, and she couldn’t breathe. There was just something about him. She found him incredibly handsome, intelligent, compassionate and sensual. While lost in him and his kisses, she noticed how heated it felt everywhere he touched her, making her core throb and ache with the need to be touched, loved and savored. It brought on a new ache, a powerful force as his hands slowly made their way to it. A slight gasp had him groaning in her mouth and his touch got firmer and rapidly made its way to where she wanted it most. However, that snapped her out of the moment, and she remembered they had friends not far away from them. Nor did she want an audience.

“I think we should head back to rejoin the others. And perhaps we can pick this up another time when we are alone? I would love to see you again.” Her eyes flitted back and forth between him and her friends. She was not wanting to be rude to her friends considering they were celebrating her achievement, but she knew she wanted more of Bennett too. They exchanged numbers before they walked back to join the rest, his arm around her waist. Her brother, Hugh, bristled upon seeing his sister so friendly with this new stranger, his arm around her. Mirabelle didn’t let that bother her and ignored her brother. She had found a guy she really liked and wasn’t going to let anyone interfere with knowing him better and deepening whatever you call this relationship.

Bennett didn’t even blink at the look on Hugh’s face nor his tense body when he strolled up with Mirabelle in his arms. It wasn’t upsetting her and that’s all that mattered to him. And part of him wanted this part of the night to be over, so he could invite her back to his place and have more privacy while they get to know each other more, even in intimate matters.

By the end of the night when they all went their own ways, she pulled on his shirt lightly, directing his attention to her for a moment. “Do you mind if we continue this at your place tonight? I’ve been getting dirty looks from my brother all night. I thought we might be able to learn more about each other when we’re not being stared at. Plus, I’m a bit too drunk to be driving home and I’d rather not be alone.” She placed her hands lightly on his chest and looked up at him in question, watching his eyes for the answer. She didn’t have the heart nor desire to stay away from him. It might have seemed fast, too fast. But she didn’t give a damn at all. All she knew was she wanted him, and nothing was going to get in her way. She might even call it love at first sight!

January 24, 2022 22:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.