1 comment

General

I really hope I make it in time. This snow is ferocious. I can see brake lights of all sorts up ahead of me. Sirens buzz by Lyrics car. Everything playing on the radio is weather alerts. The snow comes crashing down in a thickening white blinding wave. A man's deep voice comes on the radio with a message for everyone on the road; ATTENTION! ATTENTION! WE ARE CURRENTLY DEALING WITH A LEVEL 3 BLIZZARD. STAY OFF THE ROADS. PREPARE FOR BACK UPS. WATCH FOR ACCIDENTS. Then the voice cuts out and is left with a loud beep for about 15 seconds. 

I can see up ahead a few feet people are at a dead stop and some are starting to get out of their cars. I have finally come to a dead stop and put my car in park. It looks like I’m not going to make it to the coffee shop on time. I hope he understands. I see a tall police officer coming towards my car. He motions for me to roll down the window. “Hello Ma’am unfortunately the roads have been shut down to through traffic because of the blizzard. There is a service center that is open where people can go inside and get out of the cold. If you prefer to stay in your car that is fine as well.” I sigh. “How long do you think we will be stuck here?” He shrugs his shoulders. “I’m not sure on that, whenever the blizzard lets up which could take hours. We’ve got accidents and telephone poles down. I’ll be keeping everyone updated about when the roads become safe to drive on again.” I tell him thank you and watch him as he heads back over to his vehicle. 

I notice this thin blonde woman who is standing outside her car, braving this harsh snowfall to smoke a cigarette. Wow, at this point I’d just smoke in my car. Outside my passenger window I can see a family sitting in there car parked next to mine. It looks like the husband and wife are arguing about something but I’m not sure what. I look down to check my cell phone to see a missed call from him. Should I call him back or just ignore it? Maybe he will hear news of the blizzard and assume I died. I let out a little laugh. Just then I hear a knock on my window. I roll down the window to see a younger brown haired man wearing a baseball cap smiling at me. “Hi, I’m the car in front of you and I was heading up to get a cup of coffee at the service center and was wondering if you needed anything?” I smiled at the sweet gesture. Was he asking everyone or did he pick me out of the crowd? “Actually I might walk up with you if that’s okay? I could use a coffee and a nice warm spot to sit.” He grins from ear to ear. “Of course! Even better.” He winks. Wow was I really getting hit on in the middle of a blizzard? I mean he is pretty cute. Plus after tonight Rj will never wanna bother me again. 

We reach the service center which I can see is packed with people who didn’t wanna sit in their cars the whole time of this stupid blizzard. But maybe this blizzard was fate and not stupid at all? I guess time will tell. “Well it is way warmer in here!” I never noticed his dimples before. How cute. We get in line to order our coffee and I feel his hand grazed mine. He jumped over. “I’m sorry.” I let out a giggle. “For what silly?” He smiled at me then offered to pay for my coffee. “Well if you insist.” I wink. Just then an emergency alert hits the TV hanging on the wall in front of the cashier. “ATTENTION! WE HAVE AN ACTIVE SHOOTER ON THE LOOSE AT THE ROUTE 151 SERVICE CENTER! THE SERVICE CENTER IS GOING ON LOCKDOWN AS WE ARE NOT SURE WHERE THE SHOOTER WENT. DO NOT LEAVE OR TRY TO ENGAGE THE SHOOTER.”

I start to panic. I reach inside my purse immediately and grab my anxiety medicine. I take out 1 pill and put the bottle back in my purse. What service center am I in? I look around everywhere for a sign. “Are you okay?” I almost completely forgot about the mystery man who asked me in for coffee. “I’m fine just gonna go find a spot to sit.” I scurry over towards the bathroom. I walk in and notice no one is in here. I go sit in a stall and turn on my gps on my phone. No, no it can’t be. Route 151 Service Center was my exact location. 

All of a sudden there is a bang coming from the bathroom door. “Lyric are you okay?” WHAT THE FUCK? How does he know my name? I didn’t even know his! “How the fuck do you know my name you creep?!” He laughs. “I feel like I’ve known you my whole life Lyric.” The panic really starts to hit in my chest. I feel like I can’t breathe. I look around for a window to plan an escape. The only window I see is a small basement sized window at the top of the wall. “Hey that guys got a gun!” I hear someone shout from outside the bathroom. Gun shot. Gun shot. Gun shot. Everyone is screaming. “Lyric come out here I can save you.” Is this a dream? What is going on? Who is this guy? How does he know me? What does he want from me? My mind won’t stop racing through all the thoughts on who this mystery man is. I remember back to my first year in college when I had a stalker. It couldn’t be. I was told he committed suicide shortly after I pressed charges. “Lyric! Come out! Or I am coming in!” It was him. How could I have been so stupid? How could I have not known? It didn’t look like Mike looked 3 years ago. 

“You fucking killed my brother and now you will pay bitch!” Oh god this is even worse. My crazy stalkers brother is now threatening to kill me. And I’m stuck in a blizzard? What is this? Fate? Coincidence? Karma? “Look I didn’t kill him. He stalked me for months! Took pictures of me and threatened to kill my friends.” He starts banging on the door. “He loved you! You used him. Made him out to be crazy. And for what? That Rj that has already cheated on you? Mike was in love with you. He never meant to hurt you. But you gave him no other choice.” I literally can’t believe this is happening. Honestly did I really even care? If it was my time to die then so be it. I got up off the toilet and started to unlock the stall door. It’s time for me to be a hero. 


To be continued…



January 07, 2020 18:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

April Beaulieu
00:17 Jan 16, 2020

I am really wanting to know what happens next. Who is RJ? So many questions that need answers. Good job, can't wait for more

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.