Birds of a feather

Written in response to: Start your story with a character saying “Listen, …”... view prompt

0 comments

Crime LGBTQ+ Mystery

TW: Gore


"Listen.."

Voices swirled around a male as he walked through a large forest, looking through the many trees as he kicked a rock with each step, his dirty blonde hair swayed with the wind and pale toned skin glowed from his phone screen "I'm fine Amy" He laughed adjusting his blue eyes to the darkness that surrounded him. "Your out at night again! What are you searching for again?" The females voice sounded confused as she spoke from the other line. "Remember back in 6th grade, Brad mentioned these creatures with wings, bird wings like angles" Phin replied opening his journal at the many sketches of the creatures "I wanna see one" He grinned closing the book. "Oh! Well you have fun I have a collage class to go to" With that she ended the call leaving Phin to his thoughts.


He continued to walk before stopping, the sounds of voices nearby caught his attention causing him to run towards the noises with excitement, stopping behind a tree and poked around the corner at the sight..


A group of figures stood near a bundle of rocks, two tall figures probably six feet tall or even seven stood at the top of the rocks looking down at the group below. Phin watched and moved closer noticing the odd shadows they casted...almost like wings. Most wore sweaters or elegant robes, one however caught Phin's attention. A short male with silver white curled hair covering one eye staring up at the two above them.,a pair of mockingbird like wings on his back as he turned looking at the others who had normal white shinning angel wings.


Phin wanted to move but a voice rang out interrupting him. "Toby! You stand before us, your family and your fellow winged..tonight is your assessment to be a hire up like the rest, you stand out with your..interesting wings.." The voice was cold as the male nodded with hesitance. "Tonight! Your task is to examine the humans and help them..use your abilities for good not evil, are you ready?" It asked as Toby nodded "I'm ready!" He spoke in a quite but loud enough voice as the rest bowed their heads as a sign of good luck and headed off vanishing into the night sky leaving him. Phin stared quickly grabbing enough pictures before locking eyes with the scared male below, unsure what to do, Toby hesitantly walked up to him reaching a hand out to him "Hello human.." He gave a small smile lowering his wings to his sides as Phin smiled "Hello" He chuckled and opened his book "Mind if I sketch ya? just for research?" He motioned to his bird wings as Toby instantly nodded and sat stretching the wings as Phin began his work making sure to add as much detail as possible to the drawing. Toby chuckled adjusting himself slightly as he watched the pencil moving along the page.


After that night the two were inseparable, meeting up almost every night to chat and mess around in the forest laughing and smiling about random things. As time went by the two grew closer resting against each other under trees, Toby soon confessing to Phin as both hearts grew together. Phin laughed running through the bushes as Toby followed above gliding near him, both stopping when a voice called out "Tobias!" They turned as the figure as Toby froze "Sir!..I can explain.." Shaking as he pulled away from Phin "Your time here was up months ago!.." The figure growled spreading their large wings. Toby stared as he hid behind Phin in fear "I don't wanna leave...please.." Holding onto Phin's shirt, the male nodded "He can stay..please sir" Phin sighed as the figure snarled and turned vanishing into dust...leaving the two there.

Toby smiled wrapping his wings around Phin laughing with a red face while Phin grinned.

Two free birds in a free land with their hearts.


"He's asleep at the moment sorry Amy, you can meet him soon" Phin laughed over the phone, resting in his bedroom. Toby was laying on his stomach on the bed with his wings spread out letting out small noises as he slept after a day of flying and exploring, a small smile on his face. "Aw alright! still surprised the legends were true that's awesome!" Amy chimed as she giggled. Phin yawned and stretched fixing his hair with a grunt "I'm heading off, I'll see you at school tomorrow" He said his goodbye as she did and ended the call, turning his phone off and tossed it into a bean bag chair before laying down by the winged male listening to the soft breaths.


The trap was set and closed...soon things would get messy with feathers and scarlet..

Phin then sat up looking at his clock, it was only 3:00 am..He stood and walked to his closet grabbing a white lab coat and googles making his way downstairs, a woman with black hair and green eyes smiled "Hi Phin!" Amy smiled as Phin chuckled "I'm ready when you are" Amy continued holding a scalpel as she headed up the stairs to the bedroom. Phin felt a sting of pain as he heard Toby scream his name hoping he would run and save him from the woman but Phin stayed downstairs..He couldn't go up there, the deal with him and Amy was that once he found one and gained it's trust..was to dissect and examine it..which explained the sketches, body figures..wing span and other features..His heart ached as the screams echoed in his head, Amy skipped down holding a batch of feathers and scarlet covered hands "That was easy..I'll take these to the lab" She smiled walking to clean her hands while Phin ran upstairs..


There laid his beloved shaking in a corner with his back scared for miss cuts, his wings were gone..replaced by two bone stubs of where they once were..feathers, crumbled and torn covered in scarlet blood and tissue surrounding his body as he slowly looked up at Phin and screamed chocking on his sobs with his arms around himself. Amy walked back upstairs leaning her elbow on Phin "He's a wonderful specimen..one of a kind, a bird in a angels heart.." She smiled...Phin turned away and walked leaving the sight, not daring to look back at the male he loved and he still did love him! But the deal was already done..

November 08, 2021 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.