0 comments

Romance


It’s inbuilt, the only talent I acquire is how I can make the money rain, in a drought prone area I am spilling buckets of my assets. I am basically a Kaput Koala, but parents thought I should be named King, yes King! I was their only son until they saw a disappointment in me, and with my fifth grade result came my highly commendable little sister, if I could curse her out here, this will be censored, it’s not like I hate her. Well we both just get on the terms that we won’t kill each other under the same roof and now that I have finally moved out an year ago, she got scared and never showed up at my door, neither I invited.......alright too much diversion.


Where were we?, yes my name, King Jacob, my full name. In my early days when I didn’t knew classmates or school exists, I used to love it. It was unique in my area and of course I felt superior until my bullies banged my head that day, I don’t know why but maybe they felt inferiority so they just did what they wanted....they were wicked....alright deviated again.


So yeah, it’s Sunday and all I have to do is to smell this shitty place as if it’s my palace, ignore that pile of dirty clothes and of course, call my girl friend. Yeah my girl friend, hard to believe but I have one, this was a news to me too and let’s keep that story for another time, yeah so she asked me to meet her today, even though she dropped me off yesterday night, I mean I love her but she ordered to be ready early, even after knowing I am a night owl, actually a vampire but she has sternly threatened me so here I am...and guess what....I am on time, eager to see her and guessing where she might have reached till now.

I picked up a small pebble and threw it at my neighbor's house, actually a werewolf I should say, living with a witch like wife. Both of them are my evil enemies, that stout lady being whipped for her plants more than for her husband, meanwhile her bald husband, he just looks like someone who’ll kill you first and see your face later, he is scary and it’s not his face that makes him scary, it’s his blood red eyes, he stare at my soul whenever I am in his vicinity, he is just someone you never want to meet because people like him will drag your soul out with their stares...but he doesn’t discriminate, ogle one, ogle all....

I looked towards the edge of my lane, trying to spot any car turning towards me but just like luck, nothing gets on my side. It’s frustrating. I grunted picking up another pebble and aiming it in the witch’s garden.

One miss won't stop me.....not even the other one...


'Glass shatters!’.............


Shit


‘Honk Honk’


I turned and mentally rhymed a whole poem for my darling angel girl friend, right person at right time. I abruptly jumped on the shotgun seat, “let’s go!”, my heart was pumping loads of heart by now, hoping she doesn’t appear and encounter the decoration I did, please god...hide her sandals, lock her doors and throw the keys to another dimension, please before she comes out, give my girl friend foot power to accelerate fast and think later.

I turned my head when she started the engine, a smile crawling on my lips but turning down when I saw her face red and flaring.

“What happened babe?”, I leaned towards her, hooking my arm to her free one and glancing at her side profile, how did this lady accepted my proposal, she’s too good to be mine...but maybe my luck worked here, I am the lucky one.

Unlike other times of her smiling and telling me stories, she chose to stay silent. I poked her arm but she gave me no reaction, even when I intertwined our hands together, is she angry?


“My parents want to meet you!”, Alright I wasn’t expecting this, this is too sudden and I am not ready and even if I am, my deposits are chuckling humorlessly in the corner. I am sure this meeting will lead to marriage and I don’t want to start my new life with a broken piece of bank account. My fingers fiddled on their own, I am afraid to even look at her, even for a minor second, I looked out of the car, thinking how am I supposed to turn this down.

She pulled up the car with a dismayed sigh, “Please babe....they'll like you", I am sure everybody in this world is incapable of refusing this tone, this is curse full tone of every other female and a warning for you, if you ever hear this voice, never look in her eyes, those eyes will swallow your rejections in a blink, I swear!


“When?”, that’s right, I fell for it, digging up my grave in an abandon plot. I gave her a sweet glance, not really a hopeful and enthusiastic one, I can’t fake it.

“Babe what’s wrong”, glad she asked....

..

..

“I am not ready....", I have to be honest here. "you know my financial status right.. I am on the verge of crisis, don’t even have a penny in my freaky account, it’s useless to even talk about it...I feel like a loser”, this was it, by the end my voice felt weak, this was supposed to be a nice day, but things are not on my way, as if it ever was. The moment her hand fell on my shoulder, I knew she was going to accept my failure, again, she truly never deserve me and I have proven this so many times.

I was always the first one to escape my problems, ignoring them and I am sure, if ever I got stuck on an island with monsters that could destroy this world, I will chose to run....and I will procrastinate on that too...I just know myself.

“You’re not a loser”, the lies she says...damn it!

“Look at me”, I have pictured this before, lived this many times, her hands on my cheeks as she pulled my face to look at her, her enchanting eyes and that encouraging smile, she’s the winner, always a winner.

“My parents can wait alright....but please never discourage yourself.....I love you”, I reciprocated this with just a simple kiss, the only gift I can afford, the one she will love and the smile she gave me was not ordinary, it was there to motivate me again, tell me to wake up and find a stable job, not in an abandon library or a themed café but a nice job with my degree, with my skill...and I promise myself that I will find a job and this time I won’t yell back at my boss, I will make her proud, make myself able to make my own family with my love.

~~~~


Woah! A couple of month has passed and now all I have is a happy smile, a satisfied life and hopefully a better financial spot, I haven’t spent even a dollar since a month, summoning money to buy a ring, ask her to marry this loser, maybe not a loser anymore but my smile turned down when I looked toward my yelling boss again, nodding while he was lecturing all of us, I am his rat, like many more in this race. At least he pays decently unlike the other one.


“You all may leave”...finally this Demon got some nuts.

I sat back on my desk and packed all my stuff, ignoring the blabbers going on the T.V, I am sure it’s another debate on the prolonged internet banking scams, what do I have to do with these, I hate online banking and stuff, call me a bummer, I will happily accept it. Today was a tiring day, like any other day but all this is for a reason, the reason I love the most.


On my way back I got a call from the only person whose call I wasn’t expecting, my cynical sister. I am sure she has something to brag about, or maybe some problem..


“Hi~”


“What’s up broke dog!”......something to brag about.


“I hit a freaking jackpot loser”, I frown, she’s a student, a high school student, how in the world she got a jackpot. Is she in gambling and stuff, if she’s then I am ecstatic that I finally got a point against her, that’s it.. I am already excited.


“So get your soul up here idiot, adios!”, I just hummed and stepped from the bus, tracing my track towards the nearest gift shop, I should take something for my mother, it’s been months since I saw her. I walked towards the nearest ATM to withdraw some cash, and let’s check how much I got paid and how far is it for me to buy a ring for her.

I was feeling the real anxiousness with each touch on screen, my grin not going down , already picturing the possible numbers, close to ten thousand, I deserve it with my hard work, working for two suckers wasn’t easy even for a day, let alone a month.

My hands draped down, frown deepening...and as if all of a sudden I felt my world collapsing. I am still a loser.


{This issue is increasing Mr. Miller, hundreds of people are reporting their experiences, their dismay over this whole banking scams, What did Cyber Police till now?}...


{Mr. Peterson, the police is finding evidences for that one person who is controlling everything, it is said, that an organisation is enticing teenagers to deceive people here, they train them and give them a part...it's much bigger than we thought}


I felt my fist turning stoic, my pulse matching the heat and anger...anger, certainly the smallest word I would say...because I am still broke and this time with only three dollars.....this is my fucking fate!!


"I won a Jackpot"

August 16, 2022 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.