I didn't think it would be this perfect!

Written in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Skipper jogged around the track, gravel flying up behind her. She felt the cold wind on her face. It was a terrible day to have gym class. As she ran, Skipper felt something wet land on her shoulder. She reached up to touch it.

“Shucks!” Skipper exclaimed, wiping it off, “Now it's raining.” She grumbled as she ran faster, just wishing she could go back inside. 

“Oh, come on, Skipper. It’s not that bad.” Andrew yelled, pulling her hair as he sprinted past her. Skipper yelped, then glared at him as he ran on ahead.

“Hey! Get back here!” Skipper sprinted after him, cursing. He laughed, and kept running. She chased him another lap around the track, and as he began to slow down for a water break, she took her chance. Skipper leaped onto his back and tackled him to the ground. The two of them rolled over a few times, finally stopping on the grass.

“Oh, will you stop it, you two lovebirds?” Cassa teased, walking past them as they wrestled. She rolled her eyes at them as they stopped, and burst out laughing. Andrew stood, helping Skipper up. He held out his water bottle to her.

“Want some?” He asked, raising an eyebrow. “I’m sure chasing me can be pretty exhausting.” He smirked, and Skipper giggled, snatching his water bottle from him. She popped it open, and gulped down the rest of the water. She smirked back at him, then grabbed his hand, pulling him inside. 

Skipper sighed. She was bored. In English class they had to write short stories and Skipper was not the best author in the world. The only thing she liked to write was her diary entries, which no one ever saw, so it didn't even matter if they were good. She heard whispering from beside her, and looked over. A note had been placed on her desk. She looked around the room and saw Andrew staring at her, then the note. Then, he nodded. It was from him. Skipper picked up the folded piece of paper and unfolded it. On it was a question, and address, and a time. It said, "There is a party at my house tonight. Address: 334 Rose Park Avenue. Time: 8pm-2am. Will I see you there?" Skipper looked back at Andrew. She nodded, and mouthed, "I'll find a way to come."

That afternoon, Cassa picked up Skipper in her truck.

“Are you ready to go shopping?” She said, waving her credit card back and forth. Skipper nodded as she climbed in.

“Floor it, Cassa.” Cassa smiled wildly, and pressed down on the gas. The truck swerved through the neighborhood and onto the highway. Minutes later, they were parked in the store’s parking lot. 

That evening, they had gone through a mountain of dresses, and Skipper had finally found the perfect one. It was a little shorter than knees length, and had one long sleeve and one no sleeve. The top was a pale purple that created an ombre effect as it faded into the blue skirt. Tiny gems were sewn onto the dress in little patches, making it sparkle just enough. 

“This is the one.” Skipper told Cassa as she stepped out of the dressing room. Cassa gasped when she laid her eyes on it. She nodded and they both squealed, jumping up and down in a hug. They bought the dress and drove to Skippers house to do makeup. At 7:20, they both climbed back into the car, and began the drive to Andrew’s house. In the car, Skipper did some last minute touch-ups on her face, and clasped on her necklace. The necklace matched her dress; the white gem in the center complimenting the glittering gems on her dress, and the small jewels in her earrings. Skipper smiled at herself in the car mirror. She felt pretty. She felt strong. She was ready to party.  Up ahead, Skipper and Cassa heard blaring music.

“Ha! I don’t even need an address to figure out which house it is.” Skipper smiled at Cassa’s comment. Cassa parked, and the two of them stepped out of the truck, and into the house. Andrew greeted them at the door. He hugged Skipper and kissed her forehead. She kissed him on the cheek, and the three of them found themselves walking towards the snack table. Cheese and crackers were piled up on plates, as well as cookies, which Cassa immediately started snatching. She stuffed a couple of them into her mouth, then glanced over at Skipper and Andrew, who were watching her. She smiled. Skipper smiled back, then shrugged. Cassa motioned that she was going to sit down, and she left, leaving Skipper and Andrew standing together alone. Andrew motioned for Skipper to follow him. Andrew led Skipper out onto the balcony. It was a clear night. The stars shown bright in the sky. They both took a minute, just looking at each other.

“Skipper, I just want to say, I love you, and I hope you love me, too. You have always been there for me and I hope I can always be there for you. I’m so glad I met you all those years ago on the monkey bars, and I will never forget the first time I saw you.” Skipper rolled her eyes sweetly at Andrew.

“You mean when I slipped off them and fell on my butt?” Andrew smiled at her, and nodded.

“I’ll never forget.” They shared a laugh, and Skipper hugged him.

“Thank you for always being there for me. If you weren’t here, I wouldn’t have anyone to tease me or pull my hair.” Andrew laughed. They became silent for a few minutes, just staring into each others eyes. The midnight chime began to ring.

“I love you.” Andrew pulled Skipper closer.

“I love you, too.” On the last stroke of midnight. The two of them kissed. It was the most passionate they had ever had, for they truly loved each other, and they both thought the same thing; I didn’t think it would be this perfect!

January 02, 2023 07:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.