0 comments

Fiction

The darkness is closing in. It's choking me. I'm scared. What do I do. Where am I? This is not my home. This isn't right. This isn't normal. What is going on? I don't understand, I thought. Then I hear a new voice in my head. A different voice. This voice is steady, calm, safe. "Be calm," it says, "Remember who you are. Remember what happened, what you need to do."

"I am Beatrix Hazel Sheridan. I am one of the last of the Celestialites, those who control the light. My family is enveloped in darkness. I am a 15 year old girl. I live on planet Rayel in the dimension Avonalie. My planet is being invaded by the Dark Ones, those who bend the darkness. There is still hope. I have just received the secret Celestialite letter of the rebellion. I must find and join the rebellion," I said, taking a deep breath to calm my nerves.

I glance around my room, remembering when it was still bright and inviting. I walk over to look out my window. The sky is a dark crimson color with menacing, black clouds. The ground is covered in blood and ashes and the houses along the street had been destroyed. I am sure my house didn't look much better. I close the curtains so as not to alert the Dark Ones, then turn back around and shoot a small dim light at the ceiling to brighten the dark space.

I dig around my room and grab my phone. It's not much, but it is still useful. I dig some more and grab my solar charger. As dark as the sky is, it wouldn't be much use to normal people, but my powers can still make it work. I snatch up my backpack and shove the items into it. I then wander over to my closet and grab some clothes to put into my backpack as well. T-shirts in the colors black, blue, red, green, gray, pink, purple, and orange and a few pairs of jeans. I grab my dufflebag from the top of my closet and take it and my backpack to the kitchen. I shove some foods that don't require refrigeration, such as bread, into the duffel.

I run outside and snag a cooler from the shed, then run back inside to fill it. I load the cooler with three types of lunch meat, water, and fruits. Once the cooler is filled, I grab the first aid kit from the bathroom and stuff it into my back pack with the clothes. I grab the car keys off my parents dresser, knowing that I'd need a set of wheels for the long journey ahead of me. After gathering up all my stuff, I go and pile all of it into the back of the car. I get into the car and start the engine. I buckle my seat belt, check the mirrors, gas, and oil. After making sure everything is in order, I Speed out of the driveway and head for the location that Ace, the rebellion leader, sent me.

On the way to my destination, I hear the most frightening sound. Thumpety-thump thumpety-thump thumpety-thump. I glance in the mirror and see the terrors that were running behind me. Five Dark Ones soldiers were following my me. Dark Ones soldiers are as strong as elephants. They ran in perfect synchronization, it was as though they were machines. It took about 2 hours to shake them off. Once I finally reached my destination, I launch myself out of the vehicle and dart inside. I find a man standing in the center of the room waiting for me.

"Hello?" I ask, "Are you Ace?" I hear the man clear his throat before speaking. "That's me. Are you Beatrix Sheridan?" he says. "Yes sir," I stammer. "Come here child," says Ace as he turns to face me. I stumble forward slowly. "How do I know that you aren't a Dark Ones spy trying to sneak into my base and destroy the rebellion from the inside out?" asks the weird man. I flinch at the name of the Dark Ones. Instead of an actual response, I make a small ball of dim yellow light in the palm of my hand. The man smiles before shifting his form into a smoky fog. I gasp, scramble backwards, and fall. The fog shifts into the form of a boy around my own age.

The boy sees my expression and immediately, his face softens. "Don't be afraid," he soothes, "I won't hurt you. I am not a Dark One. I'm a one of the last of the Shifters. I can change what I look like. Most of us in the rebellion have some sort of ancient power. Some are Changelings, some are Celestialites, some are Teleporters." My eyes widen in surprise. He waves for me to follow him and I stand up. He leads me down hall after hall and around corner after corner. Finally, we get to a door. He opens the door and leads me down a staircase. Once we get down the stair case, Ace hands me some clothes and sends me through another door by myself to change. The outfit is a black, soft, comfortable material that is easy to move around in. On the shirt is a simple symbol of wings.

After I'm changed, I go back to the room I left Ace. "What do the wings on my shirt mean?" I ask. "It shows what power you have," Ace answers, "Changelings have a swirl, Teleporters have a four pointed star, Intels have a brain, Healers have a heart, et cetera." He grabs my wrist and leads my through a maze of rooms and corridors before I finally hear voices. He pulls me through another door and I find myself in a large room filled to bursting with people. Until now, I thought that the rebellion was small, but this was large on a whole new level.

Ace dragged me up a stair case to a balcony high above the floor. "Get their attention with light," he whispered. I obliged and stepped to the edge of the balcony. I took a deep breath and cupped my hands above the crowd. At first, I made only a small, dim ball of light, but as I moved my hands apart, the ball became bigger. When I got the ball as big as I could handle, I willed it to move outward, above the center of the crowd. Once in the center, I stopped. Suddenly, I willed the light to get intensely bright. The world was, for a moment, completely white.

Simile-Paragraph 6- "as though they were machines"

Personification-Paragraph 1- "The darkness is closing in."

Onomatopoeia-Paragraph 6- "Thumpety-thump"

Synecdoche-Paragraph 5- "set of wheels"

Imagery-Paragraph 1- "The sky is a dark crimson color with menacing, black clouds."

May 02, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.