3 comments

Fiction Contemporary Holiday

The road bore the signs of an earlier hard rain. Marti switched the wipers to intermittent to remove the light drizzle that still remained, hitting her windshield. The sparse streetlights offered an ominous atmosphere, adding to the foreboding ambiance as her SUV traveled down the stone-embedded asphalt. She slowed to a stop at the flashing light, the only traffic light in Keysville. The white clapboard building at the intersection, which once served as the gas station butcher shop and post office, was now just a two-pump service station. A derelict old pickup and a few cars parked in the grass around it were the only evidence the building still was occupied. A single dim light and an aged "Closed" sign wedged inside the plate glass door paled against the bright lights of a seemingly out-of-place dollar store across the street.

 

Marti sighed, seeing the building again; she remembered as a child when she came here with her grandmother each Saturday to shop for groceries, get gas for the pickup, and check the mail. Her Grandma Tate always treated her to ice cream while they waited for the butcher to wrap their meet orders. Seeing the dilapidated building brought a sigh inwardly. She turned left on Highway thirty-nine. At one time, this small forgotten town was larger than Tampa, but over time, Keysville was now left to a few old houses and vacant fields along the highway and considered part of Lithia Springs and out of the way to almost all of Florida,


 She recalled her childhood here, swimming in the abandoned phosphate pits and exploring the woods surrounding Keysville. It was the perfect place for an adventurous girl, and she never considered herself a lady. It had been a long time since she lived here, and very little of what she remembers existed.

 

She drove almost three miles and slowed, then turned right down the dirt road leading to her grandmother’s home. She was surprised she remembered how to get here. The massive three-story home, well over one hundred years old, was built by her great-grandfather long before her mother was born. It still brings fond memories of growing up here. When her grandmother passed, she found she was the sole heir to the estate.

 

The house was dark, and not even a night light showed in the windows. She pulled in front of the steps leading to the front porch and came to a stop. "Well, I'm here now," she thought, reaching between the seats to retrieve a large flashlight. She picked up a manilla envelope lying on the passenger's seat. Marti opened the envelope and pulled out the papers and a skeleton key from inside. She turned on the inside lights to read the note stuck to the front page left by the attorney, "Power Box on the west side near the back porch…" She sighed, opened the door, and opened an umbrella beside her seat, then turned on the light and exited the SUV.

 

Rain continued to drizzle as she walked down the path along the side of the house. The ground was covered in dead leaves and fallen branches from the oak hammock looming along the side of the house. She pointed her flashlight at the ground before her, then jumped back as a black snake slithered across the path before her." Yea I'm in Florida again…." She caught her breath and pointed the light around her, ensuring no more surprises waited.

 

Marti found the power box and started to grab the lever, then pulled her hand back. "OK, it's raining, and my hand is wet; I'm standing on wet ground…not a wise thing to do." She glanced at the handle of her umbrella and smiled, then used the plastic hook to pull the lever up, and the electricity came on with a loud click.

 

The kitchen light was on now, so Marti figured someone had left it on intentionally. She returned to the front of the house and took out the key. Sliding the skeleton key into the lock, she turned it to the left and opened the door. But now it seemed more lights were on than before. Some in the living room and dining room, leading back to the kitchen, which she could now see well. Hello? Is someone there?" That was stupid. She thought, "The house was dark when I arrived…." She regained her composure and thought, maybe they were already on, and I hadn't noticed. She shook her head and closed the door behind her.

 

"Is that you dear, I wondered when you were going to arrive." Marti spun around; her heart began to race. She looked towards the kitchen, "Just bring your things inside and we'll get you settled in after you eat something."

 

"Who's there? She stammered. Wha... What are you doing he… She stopped short, seeing her grandmother walk out of the kitchen holding a spatula. "Grandma Tate?" She backed up to the door, pushing against it, her eyes never leaving the woman in front of her.

 

Her Grandmother smiled, "I thought you'd be here long before now. I'll have dinner ready for you soon. You must be starved making that long drive."

 

"Wha…what are you doing here? You're supposed to be…." Her heart began beating harder, and she could feel herself trembling.

 

"Sleeping?" her grandmother laughed, "Now, what kind of host would I be if I didn't greet my favorite granddaughter when she arrived. I figured you'd be hungry, so, I am fixing you something to eat. There's always time for sleep later; you just get settled, and I'll have things ready in a jiff…"

 

"Oh, my Gawd…." she stammered, putting her hands over her face, "This can't be…" When she removed her hands from her face, only the kitchen lights were on. Her Grandmother was no longer there… She shook her head, "I'm seeing things; this isn't really happening. She shined her light around the living room, then pointed it at the wall on her left. Seeing the light switches, she turned them on. There was no sign of anyone there. "Hello?" She looked around, but there was no answer,

 

She walked into the kitchen and glanced around, then decided it must have been her imagination, "It's just me. I must be really tired, she half smiled, "I'm even talking to myself." She walked around the first floor and decided she was definitely alone. Then she went to one of the bedrooms off the dining room and turned on the switch. The room was nice and inviting. The attorney stated he had someone come in and clean the home and put fresh linens on the beds for her.

 

With all the main lights on, she felt more relaxed and returned to her SUV and retrieved her suitcase and purse. After putting them in the bedroom, she rubbed her face and smirked. Dinner would have been nice…" She headed back into the dining room and turned towards the kitchen to see if she could take advantage of

anything that might be available. When she walked in, her grandmother was standing in front of the stove with her back to Marti. She fell back into the door jamb, "Grandma!"

 

Her Grandmother turned around, "What is it, dear?"

 

"You… What are you doing here? You're supposed to be…" she shook her head, unable to take her eyes away.

 

Her Grandmother smiled, "I know, your mother and father wanted to put me in one of those homes, but….I told them I loved this old house and planned to stay here forever."

 

“I…. I don’t believe this,” she stammered; this...you're …. I don't understand...”

 

Her Grandmother smiled, "Now you don't seriously think I would allow you to come in and not feed you. this is the south, sweety, and we just don't do things that away."

 

She turned around and ran into the dining room, "This can't be happening. She's not really here!" Marti turned round again and looked into the kitchen. There was no sound, and it appeared to be empty. She walked inside, but her grandmother was gone. However, now, there was a plate of hot food and a glass of Iced tea. The stove was clean, and the skillet was hanging up over the stove.

 

Her favorite meal, Southern fried cube steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, alongside a portion of fried Okra, sat on a plate at the breakfast table in the kitchen. "This is some kind of illusion…" She shook her head and looked around; she started to leave, but …. The food was there... it smelled delicious, and she was hungry. She pulled out the chair and glanced around the room again, "This is so crazy…." Then she sat down. After she ate, she picked up the dishes, turned around to place them in the sink, and took the last sip of tea.

 

"Now you don't have to do that, sweety," Startled; Marti dropped her glass as she spun around. The glass landed in the sink, breaking the dinner plate. Her Grandmother smiled, "You just relax, and I'll take care of the dishes. You're a guest in my home and don't you worry about that. Dishes can be replaced; family is more important."

 

"You're here?... You're really... here…."

 

Her Grandmother smiled. "Of course, I am. Where else would I be. Besides, it's nice to have someone to care for again. I am so happy you're home…"



October 21, 2023 20:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Shirley Medhurst
00:56 Oct 29, 2023

Very enjoyable read, Stuart. (However, I did notice a teeny typo: “She shined her light”)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tina Hoertz
09:59 Oct 23, 2023

Awesome!

Reply

Stuart Lawrence
15:58 Oct 25, 2023

thanks very much for reading, it was fun to write, and I appreciate your comment as well, but how else would you say she shined her light? Shone did seem to fit as a present participle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.