1 comment

Drama

I’m in a movie theater. Godzilla vs. Kong just finished. Everyone left except for this girl and I. Now the credits are showing. On the other hand, this Girl and I are watching credits while waiting for the lights to come on. Due to the pandemic and with the movie theater just opening we are assigned seats and have to leave a seat open and wear a mask. We are two people sitting alone in a red dark theater wearing a black mask watching credits on the big screen. She comes over and sits next to me. In my head I’m thinking what does she want. She says, “What did you think of the movie”. I told her “I enjoyed it and I don’t really care for action movies, but I was really surprised how it turned out.” I ask her “what was your favorite part in the movie.” She says “I really enjoyed the battle between Kong and Godzilla. “I said yea it was really good.” I ask her what is your name?” Her response is Avery. I said, “Nice to meet you, Avery I’m Katie.”

The credits are still playing and the lights are still dim. We get to talking. We find out we have the same birthday September 19th,2000. “How crazy is that!” I said to her. Avery asked me where I was born. I say “In Midwest city at the women’s hospital.” She said “no way so was I. '' I’m thinking to myself, no way this is possible. I asked her What time she was born and she said 12:06 am. I’m thinking to myself there is no way this is adding up. I was born at 12:02 am. I ask her “Do you live on your own?” She says “No, I live with my mom, I’ve never met my dad it’s always been my mom and I. '' I respond by saying “I’ve never met my mom I’ve only been with my dad. We get into all kinds of trouble. We go four wheeling, we go shooting and we go off roading in his jeep. When I was younger, we went four wheeling down big red flipped the four wheeler fractured my elbow and my dad got a stick up his leg trying to hold the four wheeler up without it crushing my arm and bent the handlebars in the process.” She says “oh wow my mom and I never do anything that crazy. The only crazy thing we did was My mom was heading to her hair appointment and the road she had to go on was blocked off by traffic cones. She went on it anyway and ran through the traffic cones.” I respond with “yikes!” “The only thing my dad and I did like that was where roads were crossed off, we would take the jeep down it as far as we could until we had turned back around.” Avery replied with “wow your dad sounds fun.” I replied with “Your mom sounds so serious.”

The credits just ended but the lights still aren’t on. Now we are both in a dark quiet red theater with a blank white big screen. We continued to talk. I ask her, ``Do you have any pictures of your mom?” She said “Yes I keep one on my phone and it’s my favorite one.” She asked do you have any pictures of your dad. I say, “I have quite a bit, but I only have one favorite.” We both go on our phones scrolling through the thousands of photos we have we agreed to show them at the same time. Avery has hers pulled up. I'm still searching for mine, but I remember I just posted it on Facebook as a thank you post for my dad. I go to Facebook and get it pulled up. We show each other on the count of three. One… Two… Three… our faces are stunned like we just saw a ghost. Our photos we both pulled up are very similar. Same background same lighting same clouds. Her mom is wearing a short pink glittery dress with a bow on the front. She’s light skin, has blond hair, blue eyes, and freckles all over her face. The mom you would always imagine you can smell her perfume through the picture. I think to myself. I say to Avery your mom is so pretty. She comments on my dad's photo: short, dark brown hair, brown eyes and dark complected. Wearing nice jeans, a nice shirt with a leather jacket and a pink flower in the pocket of his leather jacket. She says it’s funny that my dad’s flower matches Avery’s mom's dress. We decided that since my dad's flower matches Avery’s mom's dress that we are supposed to be best friends we exchange our numbers with each other. We start playing pool on our phones through our text.

 

The lights still aren’t on and we are starting to wonder what’s going on. Avery says to me “we have talked and exchanged phone numbers and we still don’t know what each other looks like.” We decided to turn the opposite away from each other. Avery turns to her left. I turn to my right. We pull our phones out, go to our camera, pull down our mask and take a selfie. Before we send them to each other we agreed no matter how ugly or how pretty we are to not let it ruin the beginning of our friendship. We both go to our text message on the count of two we are going to send. One... Two... We immediately turned our phones off. wait till we both get them. I got mine waiting on Avery to get hers. A few moments went by, and she got hers. We open our phones and I click on her photo she clicks on my photo. I say to Avery You’re pretty. Avery says to me I’m stunning. I tell Avery, ``You look so familiar.” She says I was going to say the same thing.” She has the photo of herself pulled up on her phone. I’m pulling up the photo of my dad. I told Avery “That you two look very much alike, same eye shape same brown eyes same skin tone dark complected.” I pull up the photo of me on my phone she pulls up the photo of her mom on her phone she says, “I look so much I like her mom same skin tone same eye color same freckles.” We both say to each other “you don’t think.” She says, “no it's impossible.” I say, “but it all adds up to the same birthday being born within minutes apart of being born at the same hospital.” “We both say, ' Are we Twins?” The lights in the theater came on as bright as they could get.

               


May 25, 2022 22:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jeannette Miller
17:39 May 28, 2022

A great use of the prompt and solid premise. Movie theaters aren't that dark, so it feels weird to say they don't know what each other looks like yet. Maybe if Avery was described as looking completely opposite of Katie and then as the other elements came to light, the twist was revealed, it would keep the reader in the suspense. Good job :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.